Pulse Oximeters

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Pulse Oximeters

Post by Stranger Mouse » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:24 pm

Ok I’ve managed to ensure myself and my caree haven’t got Covid since this nightmare started but it’s only a matter of time.

Would it be an idea to get a pulse oximeter in preparation and if so what do I look out for?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oximeter-Finge ... 69&sr=8-22
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

lpm
Junior Mod

Re: Pulse Oximeters

Post by lpm » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:37 pm

Yes get one.

The absolute level can be inaccurate with cheap ones. But change in level should be close enough Calibrate it a few times during normal health.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

nezumi
Dorkwood

Post by nezumi » Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:38 am

I can guess my O2 sats from how I feel - I'm actually reasonably accurate. Lots of experience :lol:

I'd get one - though, as previously said, they won't be very accurate so calibration needed. No idea what to look for in one though. I'm old school so I gauge my hospital-neediness from whether I can count to ten in one breath and how dodgy I actually feel. As your O2 sats go down you feel more and more numb, stuff seems to matter less and your perception goes all strange. The only concern I'd have over this type of home meter is that it could be so inaccurate as to cause false alarms (or miss a real one). No matter what test you're using, the good old fashioned "do I feel like I might die without help?" test works best.
Non fui. Fui. Non sum. Non curo.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:07 pm

I got one very early in the pandemic. I played with it a few times. When I put it on it says 93 and I think I'm going to die, then within 10 seconds it's up to 97. With some controlled breathing I can get to 98 about a third of the time. The game ends when I score a 99.

I remember having one on my finger when I was last in hospital. When they explained it to me I thought it was some kind of magic. It's amazing that you can get such important information from such a small, non-invasive gadget. This video is a good explanation of how it works, including a slightly subversive formula at 02:43.
Something something hammer something something nail

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:26 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:07 pm
When I put it on it says 93 and I think I'm going to die, then within 10 seconds it's up to 97.
Always nice to see that pulse reading falling as the O2 reading rises.