Time to end this subforum?

Covid-19 discussion, bring your own statistics
sTeamTraen
After Pie

Time to end this subforum?

Post by sTeamTraen » Wed May 04, 2022 10:47 pm

In ten days time, this subforum will be two years old. Might that be a good time to archive it and move the 2 or 3 active threads to Weighty Matters?

It seems to me that the main reason why the subforum was created was because the sheer number of threads was overwhelming other sections of the site, and that seems to no longer be the case. Having an extra section requires more clicking for some people to get through the relevant areas of the site, depending on their usage pattern.

These things always seem to be harder to finish rather than to start. French airports had signs about H1N1 flu from 2009 to 2019, which didn't convey a very positive image. ISTM that closing this subforum would be a sign that the mods are actively looking after the relevance of the forum as a whole.
Something something hammer something something nail

Martin_B
Dorkwood

Re: Time to end this subforum?

Post by Martin_B » Wed May 04, 2022 11:34 pm

Not an unreasonable suggestion, although there's some good information in here. Would that be reasonably easy to access still, if 'archived'?

I think I'd rather the threads be moved back into Weighty Matters (or Nerd Lab or Relaxation Station as appropriate) where they can still be accessed if needed.
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

lpm
Light of Blast

Post by lpm » Thu May 05, 2022 12:00 am

Keep it open, ready to welcome the next pandemic.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

dyqik
Light of Blast

Post by dyqik » Thu May 05, 2022 12:48 am

lpm wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 12:00 am
Keep it open, ready to welcome the next pandemic.
Have we had a Pi variant yet?

Mmmm pi.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu May 05, 2022 6:09 am

What "more clicking"?

This subforum avoids that we had a covid megathread in Weighty Matters.
molto tricky

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Thu May 05, 2022 7:58 am

Oh right, I forgot this subforum was here.
Tomato passata potato frittata

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu May 05, 2022 8:59 am

Martin_B wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 11:34 pm
Not an unreasonable suggestion, although there's some good information in here. Would that be reasonably easy to access still, if 'archived'?

I think I'd rather the threads be moved back into Weighty Matters (or Nerd Lab or Relaxation Station as appropriate) where they can still be accessed if needed.
I don't think the forum software actually has an archive feature. The mods would have to move all 292 threads individually.

Round here we still wear masks on the bus and my office is still a vaccination hub, so I'm not feeling like it's ancient history just yet.
Tree dwellers leaping out the boughs shouting «Get the paper»
Trunk hugging rebels chucking petals at a detonator

Woodchopper
Light of Blast

Post by Woodchopper » Thu May 05, 2022 12:46 pm

Seems a bit early to close this part of the forum as people are still posting here.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu May 05, 2022 12:58 pm

The only reason to actually close it would be if people were still posting here and you didn't want them to. What's the problem with leaving it even if nobody posts to it? Does it get in anyone's way or use up server space or something?
molto tricky

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Thu May 05, 2022 1:08 pm

I propose replacing it with an invitation-only striptease subforum, with jdc as the only dancer for hire.
Tomato passata potato frittata

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Thu May 05, 2022 1:45 pm

shpalman wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 12:58 pm
The only reason to actually close it would be if people were still posting here and you didn't want them to. What's the problem with leaving it even if nobody posts to it? Does it get in anyone's way or use up server space or something?
I doubt it. The only reason given so far is that it "doesn't convey a positive image".
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu May 05, 2022 1:56 pm

Stephanie wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 1:45 pm
shpalman wrote:
I doubt it. The only reason given so far is that it "doesn't convey a positive image".
Don't forget the extra clicking, for people who navigate subforum-by-subforum rather than clicking New Posts. Although you can see if there are any new posts from the Board Index anyway, at least on the theme I'm using.

snoozeofreason
Fuzzable

Post by snoozeofreason » Thu May 05, 2022 5:18 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 8:59 am
Round here we still wear masks on the bus and my office is still a vaccination hub, so I'm not feeling like it's ancient history just yet.
My mum is in a care home, as is Mrs. Snooze's mum. The care homes are loosening their rules a bit, but Covid is not ancient history to them so it isn't to us either.
In six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them. The human body was knocked up pretty late on the Friday afternoon, with a deadline looming. How well do you expect it to work?

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Thu May 05, 2022 10:45 pm

shpalman wrote:
Well then, why not have a subforum for Ukraine, one for climate change, etc? Only two threads (apart from this one) have received traffic in the past 10 days.

It seems to me that the creation of this subforum was in response to a very specific set of circumstances (lots of threads on the general topic of Covid, plenty of overlap between those threads, etc), which no longer hold. The style of the forum seems to be to have a small number of sections, each with different rules (e.g., Relaxation Station being definitely not Googleable). There can be reasons to go against that philosophy - Covid was clearly an emergency situation in all senses of that term - but it seems to me that inertia is not a good one. It's always easier to press the "+" button rather than the "-" one, but a willingness to do the latter from time to time, in a general sense is necessary to prevent the accumulation of cruft.
Something something hammer something something nail

Chris Preston
Snowbonk

Post by Chris Preston » Thu May 05, 2022 10:54 pm

The main argument against ending this subform is the amount of work required to move all the threads. While I think this subforum will become an anachronism, those who will have to do the work are all volunteers and I am willing to let it drift for a while. I don't think there is much harm done by doing that.
Here grows much rhubarb.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri May 06, 2022 12:09 am

Look, let's do a Kickstarter and once it hits a few hundred euros I'll move the threads ;)

dyqik
Light of Blast

Post by dyqik » Fri May 06, 2022 12:16 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 12:09 am
Look, let's do a Kickstarter and once it hits a few hundred euros I'll move the threads ;)
Ten euros per thread.

Of course, there's nothing to stop people, particularly green ones, from starting new threads here.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri May 06, 2022 5:52 am

sTeamTraen wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 10:45 pm
shpalman wrote:
Well then, why not have a subforum for Ukraine, one for climate change, etc? Only two threads (apart from this one) have received traffic in the past 10 days.
Would a subforum on either of those subjects fill up with 250-300 threads? Do either of these subjects have a >250-page megathread which is descending into unfollowable bickering? (No because sheldrake isn't here anymore.)
sTeamTraen wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 10:45 pm
It seems to me that the creation of this subforum was in response to a very specific set of circumstances (lots of threads on the general topic of Covid, plenty of overlap between those threads, etc), which no longer hold. The style of the forum seems to be to have a small number of sections, each with different rules (e.g., Relaxation Station being definitely not Googleable). There can be reasons to go against that philosophy - Covid was clearly an emergency situation in all senses of that term - but it seems to me that inertia is not a good one. It's always easier to press the "+" button rather than the "-" one, but a willingness to do the latter from time to time, in a general sense is necessary to prevent the accumulation of cruft.
It seems to me that messing about with something which seems to be fine, just because you're bored and don't have anything better to do, is a generally terrible idea.
molto tricky

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Fri May 06, 2022 1:14 pm

Yes the creation of the subforum was because there were many threads created all about covid - it was a pandemic after all. I don't see anywhere near the same level created for ukraine or climate change.

I don't mind moving threads, since I moved them all originally, but only one person wants me too, so... happy to wait and see.
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

bob sterman
Catbabel

Post by bob sterman » Fri May 06, 2022 4:31 pm

I don't think this subforum is doing any harm here - and we don't want to tempt fate!

Woodchopper
Light of Blast

Post by Woodchopper » Mon May 09, 2022 6:33 am

shpalman wrote:
I think that if people stopped posting for some time that would be a reason to tidy up. But there are several active threads so I don’t see any reason to do that.

Anyway, Covid is still around and shutting down the sun-forum now would seem to tempt fate. Doing so might be mentioned in years to come as an example of complacency.

dyqik
Light of Blast

Post by dyqik » Mon May 09, 2022 9:31 pm

bob sterman wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 4:31 pm
I don't think this subforum is doing any harm here - and we don't want to tempt fate!
Given the rate that cases are increasing here, there's definitely not an argument for closing this subforum