Re: COVID-19

Post by jimbob » Wed May 27, 2020 6:01 pm

Little waster wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:57 pm
jimbob wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:42 pm
Blackcountryboy wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 3:21 pm
Just decided washing up will be more interesting than watching Boris at the Select Committee Chairman's meeting.
Actually in a train-crash fashion it's mesmerising.
Perhaps Johnson needs his eyes testing, I've heard driving 60 miles in a car with your family to the local tourist spot is the recommended test.
At very low tide, it's possible to picnic on Dogger Bank. One could probably persuade him that the name means it'd be interesting to him.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Blackcountryboy
Stargoon

Post by Blackcountryboy » Wed May 27, 2020 6:05 pm

jimbob wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:42 pm
Blackcountryboy wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 3:21 pm
Just decided washing up will be more interesting than watching Boris at the Select Committee Chairman's meeting.
Actually in a train-crash fashion it's mesmerising.
I went back to it later. Following on from Dominic's performance, on Monday I found it very worrying that we have two dishonest incompetent individuals running the country during its greatest peace time challange in my lifetime. At least I now know why are near the top of the death league

plebian

Post by plebian » Wed May 27, 2020 7:03 pm

I very much enjoyed Jeremy Hunt's questions, he really doesn't like Boris but is so psychopathically friendly with his delivery he gets away with it. He skewed him on point after point on testing.

Cardinal Fang
Snowbonk

Post by Cardinal Fang » Wed May 27, 2020 7:57 pm

Hancock today saying that it track and trace told you you'd come in contact with someone infected that you have to stay at home, and that if people didn't do this voluntarily they will make it mandatory.

How many people will just argue that their "instincts" tell them that it's still okay to go out and about as they wish. After all it's okay for Dom

CF

plebian

Post by plebian » Wed May 27, 2020 8:22 pm

Cardinal Fang wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 7:57 pm
Hancock today saying that it track and trace told you you'd come in contact with someone infected that you have to stay at home, and that if people didn't do this voluntarily they will make it mandatory.

How many people will just argue that their "instincts" tell them that it's still okay to go out and about as they wish. After all it's okay for Dom

CF
Boris admitted in the appearance before the committee that the tests that do have are not definite as they give too many false negatives if you're asymptomatic. Nevermind that the capacity is still way below what is needed and the turnaround too slow.

Boris also admitted that they were pursuing the 14 day quarantine instead of testing because the tests were not fit for that purpose.

It's going to be crazy keeping people in a fortnight of super lockdown when another available but not government bought, could confirm you're negative.

Trinucleus
Catbabel

Post by Trinucleus » Wed May 27, 2020 8:37 pm

I don't get why people you have contacted have to isolate for 14 days. They will only know they affected once your test comes back, which will, be at least a few days since the contact. By that time they could surely do a test straight away and get a reliable result?

badger
Fuzzable

Post by badger » Wed May 27, 2020 9:16 pm

Sam Coates reporting on inevitable sh.t show at Track Trace Isolate (but let's not test, eh?) HQ.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SamCoatesSky ... 6200438786

Various quotes in his feed from newly recruited tracers with little to no clue what they're supposed to be doing, and that the systems aren't in place yet.

*Mods, please move to unlockdown if this should be there*

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed May 27, 2020 10:04 pm

We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Thu May 28, 2020 1:18 pm

I'm moving the Dom in Durham posts to a new thread

I haven't finished yet as there are quite a few but will try and get them all moved today, sorry if that is a pain for quoting posts etc but please try and keep DC posts in the new thread.

Edit: I think I've got them all now but if I've missed any let me know. I left a couple of borderline ones.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Thu May 28, 2020 2:58 pm

Well I don’t want to fail in my civic duty so I will, of course, cooperate with a tracer who contacts me after I have ascertained it is not a scam call to my satisfaction

“To my satisfaction” is defined however I decide to define it at the time. I may just act on instinct.
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Thu May 28, 2020 3:28 pm

As far as I am concerned, the phone numbers of people with whom I may have had contact, is not mine to give.

If they want me to get my contacts to call them, I will (if I can).
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu May 28, 2020 3:34 pm

It must be a lot easier to run a track-and-trace service in societies where people prioritise the wellbeing of others over their personal indignation at being asked to do something.

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Thu May 28, 2020 3:34 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 3:28 pm
As far as I am concerned, the phone numbers of people with whom I may have had contact, is not mine to give.

If they want me to get my contacts to call them, I will (if I can).
<edited to remove personal insults>
It's just a f.cking phone number. That's just a means of getting into contact with someone & that's very much a valid reason for doing so. If you might have infected people with coronavirus (which would be why they were contacting you), then you have a moral obligation to let the track & trace people have the other peoples' numbers and then they can both inform them & map out the whole potential spreading of the disease.
Jesus christ. Some people.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Thu May 28, 2020 3:44 pm

This may be a stupid question and it may just be that I've missed it, but it seems from the little I've seen and heard that we are trying to develop a track and trace system from nothing, even though other countries have (at least somewhat) successfully created them. Are we collaborating with other countries and learning from them, or is every country doing an 'each man for himself' approach?
it's okay to say "I don't know"

Blackcountryboy
Stargoon

Post by Blackcountryboy » Thu May 28, 2020 4:01 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 3:44 pm
This may be a stupid question and it may just be that I've missed it, but it seems from the little I've seen and heard that we are trying to develop a track and trace system from nothing, even though other countries have (at least somewhat) successfully created them. Are we collaborating with other countries and learning from them, or is every country doing an 'each man for himself' approach?
Our system will be "world beating", Boris told me. How could a system be world beating if some one was already using it? On the other hand might be a boastful clown.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Thu May 28, 2020 4:04 pm

Blackcountryboy wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 4:01 pm
Fishnut wrote:
Our system will be "world beating", Boris told me. How could a system be world beating if some one was already using it? On the other hand might be a boastful clown.
What's wrong with stealing someone else's idea, modifying it slightly so we can pretend it's all our own idea and then proclaim it the best? Isn't that the British way?
it's okay to say "I don't know"

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Thu May 28, 2020 4:10 pm

WTF is wrong with Whitty and Vallance? Why are they giving cover to this bunch of truth-twisters?
They really need to provide some verifiable evidence to justify their stance over Covid-19. They are really bringing 'science' into disrepute.
Time for a big fat one.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu May 28, 2020 4:48 pm

Fishnut wrote:
The UK government wasted ages developing new tests instead of just using the ones that were already available, too. Not to mention trying to devise their own lockdown strategy instead of following WHO advice like everybody else.

No idea why - plain old hubris? A desire to reinforce the "Britain alone against the world" Brexit narrative?

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu May 28, 2020 5:27 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 4:04 pm
What's wrong with stealing someone else's idea, modifying it slightly so we can pretend it's all our own idea and then proclaim it the best? Isn't that the British way?
Don't even need to steal it. The Italian app's source code has been published, as far as I know, so that it can be properly scrutinized and we can be assured that it isn't actually sending your face, contact list, and real-time position information to the Chinese government.

Not that I expect the Italian app to be ready any time before the pandemic is over. And there will still be plenty of people who wouldn't install it for tinfoil hat reasons but are still happy to give facebook apps all their information in return for getting the results of a "what vegetable are you?" quiz.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Thu May 28, 2020 5:59 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 4:48 pm
Fishnut wrote:
The UK government wasted ages developing new tests instead of just using the ones that were already available, too. Not to mention trying to devise their own lockdown strategy instead of following WHO advice like everybody else.

No idea why - plain old hubris? A desire to reinforce the "Britain alone against the world" Brexit narrative?
British exceptionalism. We're special, aren't we. Couple of paras from a 2001 article: https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/maga ... ineuropean
Our history has long been told as a story of British-or is it English?-exceptionalism. A story of separateness, starting with the separation of the offshore island from the mainland, but then, following the end of the Hundred Years war, of political separation. GM Trevelyan, in his English Social History, says that Britain thereafter became “a strange island, anchored off the continent.” And a story of continuity, by contrast with the fickle mutability of the continent, constantly changing regimes and borders and monarchs and constitutions. A heart-warming story of the slow steady organic growth of institutions, of common law, parliament, and a unique concept of sovereignty, vested in the crown in parliament.

[...]

You find traces of this self-image in the most unlikely places. I found one even in Tony Blair’s Warsaw speech of October 2000. In the middle of a very clear-eyed passage about Britain and Europe, he suddenly describes Britain as “a proud and independent-minded island race (though with much European blood flowing in our veins).”

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Thu May 28, 2020 7:08 pm

Turn out for the Final Clap way down on wor street, down to about 10% from over 90% originally.

Feel free to speculate wildly over the reasons.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Thu May 28, 2020 7:35 pm

Little waster wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:08 pm
Turn out for the Final Clap way down on wor street, down to about 10% from over 90% originally.

Probably all dead.

Not a bad turnout down our way. Still a bit in the awkward not-used-to-doing-anything-expressive way, though. You could sense the relief this was the last one.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Thu May 28, 2020 9:20 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Well, this is what I said on Twitter.
It's almost as though it's what happens if you run country with a chumocracy with no idea of logistics and obsessed with reinventing the roller without looking at other people's ideas about axles
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Thu May 28, 2020 10:22 pm

Martin Y wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:35 pm
Little waster wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:08 pm

Probably all dead.

Not a bad turnout down our way. Still a bit in the awkward not-used-to-doing-anything-expressive way, though. You could sense the relief this was the last one.
Most of the same people turned out again tonight. Some quite clearly didn’t. I haven’t for the last two weeks because I’ve been having “adventures*” with my daughters at 8pm.

*walking or cycling in the local woods.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Fri May 29, 2020 3:27 am

This looks pretty bad. I know its early so far, but to me it seems notable that advice was to start going back to work etc a bit over two weeks back, and that Scotland's devolved government openly and strongly disagreed with that saying advice remained to stay home. Now every region but Scotland has recorded increased deaths.

Suffice to say I hope this is some statistical artifact, a cockup in how deaths are counted, but I fear it is not.