COVID-19

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
sTeamTraen
After Pie

Re: COVID-19

Post by sTeamTraen » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:19 pm

Just now on ITV News (voiceover introducing a segment in a hospital): "As coronavirus cases start to climb and hospitals start to fill up again, now is a good time to learn the lessons of last spring".

Jesus f.cking Christ On A Bike, now is about four months too late, you absolute tools.
Something something hammer something something nail

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:08 pm

"as we finally clear up the nuclear fallout from the war that began and ended so many decades ago, now is the time to learn the lessons of the battle that brought ruin to so many."
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:27 am

sTeamTraen wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:19 pm
Just now on ITV News (voiceover introducing a segment in a hospital): "As coronavirus cases start to climb and hospitals start to fill up again, now is a good time to learn the lessons of last spring".

Jesus f.cking Christ On A Bike, now is about four months too late, you absolute tools.
Although, to be fair to ITV News, now is a better time to learn the lessons of last spring than in 4 months time*

* Which sounds more like the sort of timeframe Johnson would prefer so that he can blame it on the EU not allowing Britain to react.
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

PeteB
Clardic Fug

Post by PeteB » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:30 am

Was looking at James Annan's model (that has been excellent)

500 deaths a day by mid November baked in, getting close to 1000 / day by the end of November if government doesn't do something dramatic in next two weeks - not very good at reading log scales, but it looks like it tops out at 3-4k per day at about Christmas but don't think it will get quite that high, people will start to be more careful, even if the government doesn't do anything effective

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:03 am

We'll pass the April 12th hospitalisation peak of just under 20,000 people on 9th November at this doubling rate (every 13 days).
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

PeteB
Clardic Fug

Post by PeteB » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:44 am

perhaps they could change the statistics to dying within 14 days of a positive test (lots of people dying >28 days later)

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:27 am

discovolante wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:58 pm
Eek

https://twitter.com/TomSwarbrick1/statu ... 51822?s=20

I'm torn about this tbh. I mean, obviously Andy Burnham really should have consulted me before going on about resisting lockdown restrictions after I'd spent all that time defending him on here. And the virus-related (as opposed to economic) reasons for resisting tier 3 lockdown didn't seem particularly strong. I mean I am pretty pro lockdown and I think if it had been a Tory banging on about it not being necessary I would have been raging. I would also probably be more pissed off with Andy Burnham if I really felt like the restrictions the government is putting in place are going to make a huge difference. They might though, I suppose, and we'll see in time.

On the other hand, I also think the government needs to cough up now and worry about the cost later. I admit I'm not the most economically literate person in the world, or even in my house, or even in this room where I am currently alone apart from a few spiders and a rubber plant, but there seem to be a lot of reasons for helping to stop people falling into destitution during a pandemic, and I don't know what other leverage Andy Burnham had, even though it wasn't much to begin with and he lost anyway.

And at the end of it all if the government hadn't basically spaffed all our money up the wall at the beginning of the year there might be more to go around now. I know that's not really how it works, but it's hard for me not to feel a bit resentful about that on top of this.

And of course being a northerner by blood and birth tends to skew things a bit for me as well.
I didn't have huge sympathy with Burnham until I realised how f.cked up the tier system is - the government has these tiers, puts you in a tier, but then you negotiate exactly how restrictive the tier is and how much compensation you'll get from the government... WTF? What's the point in the tier system in the first place? It's meaningless.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:53 am

FlammableFlower wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:27 am
discovolante wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:58 pm
Eek

https://twitter.com/TomSwarbrick1/statu ... 51822?s=20

I'm torn about this tbh. I mean, obviously Andy Burnham really should have consulted me before going on about resisting lockdown restrictions after I'd spent all that time defending him on here. And the virus-related (as opposed to economic) reasons for resisting tier 3 lockdown didn't seem particularly strong. I mean I am pretty pro lockdown and I think if it had been a Tory banging on about it not being necessary I would have been raging. I would also probably be more pissed off with Andy Burnham if I really felt like the restrictions the government is putting in place are going to make a huge difference. They might though, I suppose, and we'll see in time.

On the other hand, I also think the government needs to cough up now and worry about the cost later. I admit I'm not the most economically literate person in the world, or even in my house, or even in this room where I am currently alone apart from a few spiders and a rubber plant, but there seem to be a lot of reasons for helping to stop people falling into destitution during a pandemic, and I don't know what other leverage Andy Burnham had, even though it wasn't much to begin with and he lost anyway.

And at the end of it all if the government hadn't basically spaffed all our money up the wall at the beginning of the year there might be more to go around now. I know that's not really how it works, but it's hard for me not to feel a bit resentful about that on top of this.

And of course being a northerner by blood and birth tends to skew things a bit for me as well.
I didn't have huge sympathy with Burnham until I realised how f.cked up the tier system is - the government has these tiers, puts you in a tier, but then you negotiate exactly how restrictive the tier is and how much compensation you'll get from the government... WTF? What's the point in the tier system in the first place? It's meaningless.
My heart is very rapidly overtaking my head on this one. I'm anxious at thoughts of Manchester hospitals being overwhelmed in a couple of weeks due to the delay in implementing tier 3 but there is a lot to criticize about the specific lockdown strategy while still generally feeling that contact between people needs to be restricted. This is an opportunity to get behind something tangible perhaps.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:17 pm

There's also a point to be made about hundreds of millions, and in some cases billions, of public money has been siphoned into private companies providing inadequate services (PPE, Test & Trace etc) without any checks and balances, whilst actual people's lives are costed out at around £8 per day.

The injustice and imbalance is plain to see. This is not going to end well for the Government.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:36 pm

headshot wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:17 pm
The injustice and imbalance is plain to see. This is not going to end well for the Government.
The injustice and imbalance has been plain to see for a decade, and this is just more of the same. It's what voters overwhelmingly wanted less than a year ago. It will end absolutely fine for the government and everybody in it, as it always has done so far.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:41 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:36 pm
headshot wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:17 pm
The injustice and imbalance has been plain to see for a decade, and this is just more of the same. It's what voters overwhelmingly wanted less than a year ago. It will end absolutely fine for the government and everybody in it, as it always has done so far.
I really want to believe something might change this time. Not full on revolution and utopia but something a bit more long lasting than dom driving to Durham etc. As andy burnham has pointed out, this is going to continue to affect other regions so if other local leaders can be bothered it could be a continuing problem for the government.

I'm not really in the frame of mind to cast my mind back over the last decade to think of other similar situations, I'm sure there have been plenty but the high drama of things needing to happen in days and hours could potentially keep up some momentum.

I dunno though, this is a pretty stressed hungry sleep deprived post.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Beaker
Stargoon

Post by Beaker » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:34 pm

Manchester is already under a variety of constraints, so moving to tier 3 may have some impact on transmission, but it wouldn’t be expected to be a dramatic change from the current state. Talk of many excess deaths due to the delay in moving to T3 is I think more Burnham bashing than a real public health emergency.

Having the funding in place so staff can survive whilst they have no work is crucial to the T3 rules being followed, and so there is still something left at the end of it.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:33 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Ireland announced a 5-tier system a few days ago, then put the whole country into what seems to be a hybrid of tiers 4 and 5. :roll:

From a sociology-of-politics point of view, COVID is a goldmine. Pretty well every government initiative in every country gets washed away by reality in a couple of weeks. From what I can see, the UK actually isn't doing that much worse than other countries; it just feels like it because its political leaders are such vapid clowns. Macron, Sánchez, and Rutte are functioning, literate, non-drunk people, but France and Spain are pretty much equally as f.cked as the UK, and the Netherlands is (are?) doing worse, all with measures being decided more or less on the hoof. Angela Merkel is the closest thing the free world has to a leader, yet even the situation in Germany is starting to look pretty precarious.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:55 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:33 pm
FlammableFlower wrote:
Ireland announced a 5-tier system a few days ago, then put the whole country into what seems to be a hybrid of tiers 4 and 5. :roll:

From a sociology-of-politics point of view, COVID is a goldmine. Pretty well every government initiative in every country gets washed away by reality in a couple of weeks. From what I can see, the UK actually isn't doing that much worse than other countries; it just feels like it because its political leaders are such vapid clowns. Macron, Sánchez, and Rutte are functioning, literate, non-drunk people, but France and Spain are pretty much equally as f.cked as the UK, and the Netherlands is (are?) doing worse, all with measures being decided more or less on the hoof. Angela Merkel is the closest thing the free world has to a leader, yet even the situation in Germany is starting to look pretty precarious.
I've not really dived deep into the coronavirus news because it's all so f.cking depressing I just can't face it. But I was wondering if there's been any comparison between now and the 1918 flu - not biologically, but socially, politically, etc? Did it just go away on its own eventually or did something happen to actively end the pandemic? How was the economy affected? How did countries deal with it? I realised that I've heard of the Wall Street Crash in 1929 but I don't remember any significant recessions as a result of the pandemic. Were economies significantly different then so they weren't as badly affected, or was there an economic hit that just gets ignored in the write-ups? I've seen a few photos of people wearing masks at the time but what was done to slow the spread? Is there anything we can learn from the past?

I ask because I read this article yesterday that made the point that the focus on finding tech solutions is blinding us to the analogue solutions that already exist. That it's not just the UK that's struggling does suggest that the problems aren't unique to us but I do find it interesting that it's so many "western" countries that are finding it hardest to combat. Are we so wedded to the idea that we can tech our way out of problems that we fail to see the simple solutions?
it's okay to say "I don't know"

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:44 pm

1918-19 isn't easy to compare against. Much of the world was restructuring after the war and the war actually continued for many countries. Plus a disease outbreak of some sort routinely killed hundred of thousands anyway.

The fact that all of Europe is f.cked, not just the incompetent shithole of England, shows how strong permanent measures need to be. Everywhere eased off too much during the summer lull.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:15 pm

lpm wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:44 pm
1918-19 isn't easy to compare against. Much of the world was restructuring after the war and the war actually continued for many countries. Plus a disease outbreak of some sort routinely killed hundred of thousands anyway.

The fact that all of Europe is f.cked, not just the incompetent shithole of England, shows how strong permanent measures need to be. Everywhere eased off too much during the summer lull.
I think we’re roughly on a par with other major economies. This makes me depressed.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:25 pm

lpm wrote:

Yes. As soon as R was only around 1 in July and August - alarm bells should have been ringing. THAT was when a second lockdown could have had a huge impact, as if it was eliminated somewhere you don't need to worry except for imported cases.

I'm guessing the slower doubling rate compared to March is due to things like masks reducing the chance of aerosol transmission.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:19 pm

Grumble wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:15 pm
lpm wrote:

I think we’re roughly on a par with other major economies. This makes me depressed.
Not really, on a per capita basis UK infections over the last fortnight are:

Three times higher than Sweden
Three and a half times higher than Germany
Four times higher than Canada
Sixty times higher than Japan
Four hundred times higher than Australia

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:47 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:19 pm
Grumble wrote:
lpm wrote:

Is two weeks long enough to make that comparison? For example, Australia looks like it has had two full waves, Japan looks like they're still fighting the 2nd, and Germany looks like they're lagging the UK a bit.

I don't disagree with you, the amplitude of the waves in Austrailia is lower than the UK, suggesting they have performed better, I'm just questioning the comparison you're making.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:28 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Grumble wrote:
lpm wrote:

On the other hand similar to Spain, Italy and France. Better than USA.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:33 pm

Grumble wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:28 pm
Woodchopper wrote:

1% of the entire population of Czechia got a first positive COVID test in the past 12 days. :o For Belgium that's about 16, for the Netherlands it's about 21. For the UK you have to go back to the end of the first wave to get to 680,000 cases. It's a Europe-wide problem and the UK is somewhere in the middle. The virus doesn't care if we hate the Tories.

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:00 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Grumble wrote:
lpm wrote:

It's difficult to compare Australia to any European country, though. We may have comparable populations, but we are spread out over a continent-sized country, and we know that isolation help stop the spread of any infection.

Canada is possibly the closest country to compare us to, but even then Canada is teeming with people compared to Aus ;)
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:50 am

sTeamTraen wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:33 pm
Grumble wrote:
Woodchopper wrote:

1% of the entire population of Czechia got a first positive COVID test in the past 12 days. :o For Belgium that's about 16, for the Netherlands it's about 21. For the UK you have to go back to the end of the first wave to get to 680,000 cases. It's a Europe-wide problem and the UK is somewhere in the middle. The virus doesn't care if we hate the Tories.
Wait are you using number of lab confirmed cases in the UK as well? Because there have been a few issues around access to tests - and that is very clearly an area where the UK seems to be doing notably badly at an international level, and is very clearly the Tories' fault.

Are there any attempts to correct the UK data for the lack of testing yet? Or maybe excess deaths is actually a better figure to use.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:41 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:50 am
Wait are you using number of lab confirmed cases in the UK as well? Because there have been a few issues around access to tests - and that is very clearly an area where the UK seems to be doing notably badly at an international level, and is very clearly the Tories' fault.

Are there any attempts to correct the UK data for the lack of testing yet? Or maybe excess deaths is actually a better figure to use.
Clearly every country's "Reported number of confirmed cases" underestimates its "Actual number of citizens walking around infected". But it's very hard to say what the appropriate multiplier from one to the next ought to be, even if one had an opinion of the relative competence of the various governments and health authorities involved.

FWIW I try to keep up with COVID-19 reports and Twitter commentary in several countries, and in every single one, a similar (substantial) number of people seem to be convinced that theirs is the most incompetent and corrupt government ever, and everyone else is doing better. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ So I don't think it would be wise to assume that everyone else is running an unlimited number of reliable tests for everyone who wants one. I know for a fact that there have been people unable to get a test in the Netherlands this week, for example.

Excess deaths will be a factor in a couple of months, but part of the difficulty now is that a lot of people only pay attention to deaths, and this last 7-day period (UK COVID deaths 1,142) is probably the first since the spring that will show significant fluctuations above the historical base rate (about 10,000 per week). It will need several weeks of that for the idiots to get the message, and even then they will find another way to deny them.

Indeed, as I tweeted here, the "skeptics" will always be able to find some or other number than can be spun to show that there is no problem. (My colleague Maarten Boudry is currently dealing with idiots who claim that, although there might indeed be a problem now in Belgium, this proves that there was no problem in July and the government was fearmongering, because there were no deaths then. Some people are clearly not cut out for gardening, or any job/hobby that involves planning of any kind.)

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:08 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:50 am
sTeamTraen wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:33 pm
Grumble wrote:

If we're on about deaths now, I remember reading this from June about us being worst in the G7:
On all three measures of the G7 nations - recorded Covid-19 deaths per 100,000 people, excess deaths per 100,000 people, and excess deaths as a proportion of the usual level of deaths - the UK has been the hardest hit.
We were also top of the G7 league for falling GDP back in August:
After resisting the launch of lockdown until later than other countries around the world and relaxing controls at a slower pace, the ONS said the UK had plunged into the deepest decline of any G7 nation in the second quarter. The downturn is also deeper than any other country in the EU and surpassed a 12.1% quarterly drop in the eurozone.
So winning all round then.