COVID-19

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
TopBadger
Catbabel

Re: COVID-19

Post by TopBadger » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:24 pm

Have started looking into home office furniture as I can't see restrictions being lifted anytime soon. And even when they are I could continue to work from home.

That COVID-19 is reported to be circulating in cats, and poorer countries are going to be grappling with this for a longer time so international travel is going to be something to avoid for ages. It's hard to see a clear way out of this without a vaccine.
You can't polish a turd...
unless its Lion or Osterich poo... http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... -turd.html

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:25 pm

raven wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:15 pm
Page 5 of this leaflet here : https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... eaflet.pdf

(Sorry. There's probably a way of posting that, but I don't know how.)

It just seems to me that everyone in a household should be quarantined until they're all over it or we can be reasonably sure they're not going to get it. I mean, yeah, people who've recovered may be immune and thus unable to spread it. But that person C hasn't had it. Unless we're assuming they're one of those asymptomatic cases.
I think that's what they are suggesting as being the most likely situation.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

bob sterman
Dorkwood

Post by bob sterman » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:28 pm

raven wrote:
Page 5 of this leaflet here : https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... eaflet.pdf

It just seems to me that everyone in a household should be quarantined until they're all over it or we can be reasonably sure they're not going to get it. I mean, yeah, people who've recovered may be immune and thus unable to spread it. But that person C hasn't had it. Unless we're assuming they're one of those asymptomatic cases.
So the UK strategy is that members of a household should sit at home sequentially infecting each other with a disease that probably has a mortality rate of 3-5% in symptomatic cases.

If we had followed the Chinese strategy - the ExCeL centre (and many other venues), rather than being a giant critical care units, would perhaps have been places with 10,000 basic beds where the symptomatic could be transported to isolate them from their households.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:30 pm

TopBadger wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:24 pm
Have started looking into home office furniture as I can't see restrictions being lifted anytime soon. And even when they are I could continue to work from home.

That COVID-19 is reported to be circulating in cats, and poorer countries are going to be grappling with this for a longer time so international travel is going to be something to avoid for ages. It's hard to see a clear way out of this without a vaccine.
You can spend why you like in home office furniture. I have bought a desk which is far smaller than my office one - I can’t fit a laptop riser on to it - but it does me. My main issue now is that the chair I’m using is just a dining chair. It’s starting to get uncomfortable when I sit for too long.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:41 pm

bob sterman wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:28 pm
raven wrote:

So the UK strategy is that members of a household should sit at home sequentially infecting each other with a disease that probably has a mortality rate of 3-5% in symptomatic cases.

If we had followed the Chinese strategy - the ExCeL centre (and many other venues), rather than being a giant critical care units, would perhaps have been places with 10,000 basic beds where the symptomatic could be transported to isolate them from their households.
Ah, but that won't get you herd immunity. Infecting your entire family is preferable, all those who don't die can go back into the workforce.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:23 pm

tom p wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:05 am
EACLucifer wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:22 pm
Cloth masks seem a very sensible way to get some degree of mass mask wearing without drawing on stocks of PPE needed by healthcare and other key workers. Yes, the government should have prepared, given the warning they had, but they didn't - as citizens, we can complain, or we can complain and also fix the f.cking problem.

I've started work on trying to make masks for everyone on my street. The test example I ran up first seems to work fine, and is comfortable enough. It's based on a design requested by a health provider in the States, although with the elastic patterned after a painter's mask instead, for greater comfort.

Unfortunately, I - unrelatedly - hurt my hip badly enough to leave me stuck in bed, but once I'm back to work, would people here be interested in an illustrated guide to making them?
That's a very kind thing you're doing.
Get well soon.
Thanks. I've not got as far as I'd like with mass production, but I have published a guide to making them on a home sewing machine on its own thread.
My sister is some senior bod in a fashion house (a proper one that does catwalk shows at the fashion weeks and charges thousands for dresses) & she has put all their seamstresses to work making masks which are more comfortable than standard ones so that people who need to wear them for long periods (not cos they have a specific PPE need, but as a precaution, so just a face covering is helpful, even if imperfect), won't get that pressure mark around their ears. They are using buttons and material that can be washed easily.
They have perfected their design and are now bashing out loads of them.
That's fantastic. Speaking of buttons, I note people are making mask adaptors for conventional surgical masks to reduce ear soreness. Some are 3d printed, while others just use two buttons at either end of a length of heavy tape, so the mask can hook onto the buttons and not the wearer's ears.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:29 pm

More info on how the daily UK mortality numbers are seriously under-counting the true figure: https://twitter.com/ChrisGiles_/status/ ... 6300456960

Trinucleus
Dorkwood

Post by Trinucleus » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:01 pm

Jet2 will be running flights and holidays from 17th June. I thought it was fake news, but it's on their website.

How much of a calculated risk is that?

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:04 pm

There's (at least) a mistake in today's numbers. They say that the new number of people tested is 9,740, but the number they've provided for the total tested is only 4,344 greater than yesterday, with an 84% daily positive test rate, nearly double the last highest daily positive rate.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:05 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:23 pm
I have published a guide to making them on a home sewing machine on its own thread.
My sister is some senior bod in a fashion house (a proper one that does catwalk shows at the fashion weeks and charges thousands for dresses) & she has put all their seamstresses to work making masks which are more comfortable than standard ones so that people who need to wear them for long periods (not cos they have a specific PPE need, but as a precaution, so just a face covering is helpful, even if imperfect), won't get that pressure mark around their ears. They are using buttons and material that can be washed easily.
They have perfected their design and are now bashing out loads of them.
That's fantastic. Speaking of buttons, I note people are making mask adaptors for conventional surgical masks to reduce ear soreness. Some are 3d printed, while others just use two buttons at either end of a length of heavy tape, so the mask can hook onto the buttons and not the wearer's ears.
Nice illustrated guide.
And interesting idea about the buttons.
I'll let her know about that idea if she get more take-up on the masks than they can cope with

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:12 pm

Looks like it's lagging 2-3 days behind.

There's a Italian COVID Data and Analysis page which posted earlier some stats on deaths in each month this year compared to the same month last year, in both absolute and relative terms. I barely understand what's going on except that red=bad; this one is the relative variation in March:
march-rel.jpg
march-rel.jpg (86.73 KiB) Viewed 3843 times
In a comment someone linked to this pdf from the ministry of health.
daily-mortality-north-v-south.png
daily-mortality-north-v-south.png (53.07 KiB) Viewed 3843 times
On the left is the north's daily mortality each week and on the right is the south's; there's a baseline for reference.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:24 pm

Italy has had its lowest number of new cases since the 13th of March, and just about the lowest percentage of swabs being positive since the numbers got statistically relevant.

But then I did see right a bit of traffic around lunchtime because people don't understand that if this is the peak it's the worst time to be outside rather than the point at which we can all relax.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:29 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... y-predicts

I was guessing about a thousand deaths per day, not 3000.

Slow hand clap for Boris.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:32 pm

Covid-19 mortality linked to air pollution
https://projects.iq.harvard.edu/covid-pm/home

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:35 pm

shpalman wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:29 pm

Hang on
The same grim picture applies to intensive care beds. At the peak, 24,500 intensive care beds will be needed and 799 are available, the analysts predict.
The 799 is suspiciously close to the situation a month ago and before the new nightingale hospitals were built. Possible the authors didn’t update the data.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:39 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:35 pm
shpalman wrote:

Hang on
The same grim picture applies to intensive care beds. At the peak, 24,500 intensive care beds will be needed and 799 are available, the analysts predict.
The 799 is suspiciously close to the situation a month ago and before the new nightingale hospitals were built. Possible the authors didn’t update the data.
Does it have 23,701 beds in it?
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:50 pm

shpalman wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:39 pm
Woodchopper wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:35 pm
shpalman wrote:

Hang on
Does it have 23,701 beds in it?
How sensitive is the model to the data being updated?
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:56 pm

It's here: https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-kingdom

799 feels way to low for the total number of ICU beds in a country anyway though so I'm confused about that number.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Pucksoppet
Snowbonk

Post by Pucksoppet » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:15 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:23 pm
<<lots of good stuff>>
I just want to say thank you to EACL for what he is doing, despite his own health-related challenges. I hope the recipients of your masks appreciate them.

Pucksoppet
Snowbonk

Post by Pucksoppet » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:20 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:32 pm
Covid-19 mortality linked to air pollution
https://projects.iq.harvard.edu/covid-pm/home
Results: We found that an increase of only 1 μg/m3 in PM2.5 is associated with a 15% increase in the COVID-19 death rate, 95% confidence interval (CI) (5%, 25%). Results are statistically significant and robust to secondary and sensitivity analyses.
To my untutored eye, that looks spectacular.

Given I've spent almost my entire life as a city boy, it is also somewhat disturbing.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:22 pm

shpalman wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:56 pm

799 feels way to low for the total number of ICU beds in a country anyway though so I'm confused about that number.
It looks like they’ve applied the same model to 30 different states. They’ve also made a mistake with Norway. Stated there had not been any travel restrictions whereas in fact the ports are closed and there are some controls on internal travel.

raven
Catbabel

Post by raven » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:53 pm

shpalman wrote:

It's possibly unoccupied ICU beds. We have something like 4000, and at the standard 80% occupancy that leaves about 800 free to use.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:18 pm

raven wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:53 pm
shpalman wrote:

It's possibly unoccupied ICU beds. We have something like 4000, and at the standard 80% occupancy that leaves about 800 free to use.
That’s what I’m assuming. But if so it ignores the capacity that’s been built over the past few weeks.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:24 pm

Whether that's relevant depends on if their model takes into account the reduced survival chances of severe cases who don't manage to get an ICU bed.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:32 pm

I think their model sees a jump to over a thousand daily deaths by <checks> yesterday, which hasn't really happened. We're still just under 14 days behind Italy. Following that path, we'll be at 10,000 deaths by Sunday
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued