Corona-woo

Covid-19 discussion, bring your own statistics
Post Reply
User avatar
jimbob
Dorkwood
Posts: 1204
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:04 pm
Location: High Peak/Manchester

Re: Corona-woo

Post by jimbob » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:14 pm

Interesting article in Salon pointing out that the coronavirus hoax theories are basically the same as climate-change denial. As in supposed motivations and one primes the other:

https://www.salon.com/2020/07/07/climat ... acy-theory
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

JellyandJackson
Stargoon
Posts: 109
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:40 pm

Re: Corona-woo

Post by JellyandJackson » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:21 pm

Help me, good people.
My dear friend has sent me this and wants to debunk it. https://youtu.be/mx6Qu-xQE1Y
The doctor presenting - Carrie Madij - says she’s a physician in Internal Medicine (which I think is a thing in the US) though she then says osteopathically trained.
Her thesis seems to be:
1. Each of us has lots of DNA, a vaccine alters our DNA. Does this make us something other than human? (I’m going to go with “no” there).
2. A GM cell line can be patented, therefore we can be patented. “Natural” things can’t be patented, nor can cell lines (though I think they can, isn’t that what the Henrietta Lacks cell lines are all about?)
3. This vaccine hasn’t been tested on humans before? (That’s very different to other vaccines).
4. Vax developers are exempt from liability and exempted from RCTs. The second part of that is definitely bollocks, I suspect the first is too.
5. They are exempt from evidence that immunity is produced.
6. All vaccines use foetal lines, cannot go through apoptosis, therefore cannot die, therefore are cancer. (I don’t think that’s what cancer is).
7. I don’t know, I just wrote standard conspiracy theory here...

It then goes on to mercury, synergistic vaccine action, and then it gets reaallllllly wild. Your fridge will rewrite your brain, or something. Hydrogels used in wearable tech (I wondered if that’s similar to what I’ve encountered with flash glucose monitoring) and this will all be controlled by some database and it’s basically the matrix.

It is all so way out I don’t know where to begin. Any ideas to help my friend and I?
A thousand strawberry lollies and the princess of Lichtenstein.

JellyandJackson
Stargoon
Posts: 109
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:40 pm

Re: Corona-woo

Post by JellyandJackson » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:42 pm

Follow up post (sorry). I think I can find enough basic things to manage most of the points now, but there is a wider thing about how you engage with conspiracy. Does it ever work to engage?
A thousand strawberry lollies and the princess of Lichtenstein.

Lew Dolby
Clardic Fug
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:59 pm
Location: Shropshire - Welsh Borders

Re: Corona-woo

Post by Lew Dolby » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:08 pm

" . . . a vaccine alters our DNA. "

That can't be right, Shirley ??!!

User avatar
lpm
Dorkwood
Posts: 1451
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:05 pm
Location: IMPEACH AND EXTERMINATE

Re: Corona-woo

Post by lpm » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:31 pm

Did I ever tell you about the time I was given a fly vaccination? The human-fly DNA combination was interesting, to say the least.
I'll miss him after he's died in the pandemic

JellyandJackson
Stargoon
Posts: 109
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:40 pm

Re: Corona-woo

Post by JellyandJackson » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:31 pm

lpm wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:31 pm
Did I ever tell you about the time I was given a fly vaccination? The human-fly DNA combination was interesting, to say the least.
:lol:
A thousand strawberry lollies and the princess of Lichtenstein.

JellyandJackson
Stargoon
Posts: 109
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:40 pm

Re: Corona-woo

Post by JellyandJackson » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:43 pm

Lew Dolby wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:08 pm
" . . . a vaccine alters our DNA. "

That can't be right, Shirley ??!!
It goes (kinda):
1. We have lots of DNA. This is lots of data (terabytes, apparently. I didn’t think you could measure DNA like that...)
2. This controls lots of things including how our bodies grow, function and reproduce, and our thoughts and memories.
3. DNA is a bit like computer code in that a small change will have a large effect.
4. You can insert genes into the genome or insert synthetic material into it.
5. When you do this, you are rewriting your genetic code, which is your software programme.
6. How much change of this code would it take to be considered not human?

Oh and I spelt her name wrong, because I’m an eejit, it’s Madej, not Madij.
It looks more like common or garden antivax the more I think about it. DNA holds your memories though, that’s quite something, and a new one on me...
A thousand strawberry lollies and the princess of Lichtenstein.

User avatar
basementer
Snowbonk
Posts: 437
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm
Location: Aotearoa

Re: Corona-woo

Post by basementer » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:01 pm

JellyandJackson wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:43 pm
Lew Dolby wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:08 pm
" . . . a vaccine alters our DNA. "

That can't be right, Shirley ??!!
It goes (kinda):
1. We have lots of DNA. This is lots of data (terabytes, apparently. I didn’t think you could measure DNA like that...)
I don't think that's right. My working :
I find "about 3 billion" quoted as the number of base pairs in the human genome, which is about 1 billion 3-pair codons, each of which codes for one of 20 amino acids. 20 is a bit more than you can fit into a half byte. So it's more than about half a gigabyte but substantially less than about a whole one.

I'll leave discussing junk DNA to someone more knowledgeable.
mean berets
meant beers

User avatar
Little waster
Catbabel
Posts: 612
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:35 am
Location: About 1 inch behind my eyes

Re: Corona-woo

Post by Little waster » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:28 pm

JellyandJackson wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:43 pm
Lew Dolby wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:08 pm
" . . . a vaccine alters our DNA. "

That can't be right, Shirley ??!!
It goes (kinda):
1. We have lots of DNA. This is lots of data (terabytes, apparently. I didn’t think you could measure DNA like that...)
2. This controls lots of things including how our bodies grow, function and reproduce, and our thoughts and memories.
3. DNA is a bit like computer code in that a small change will have a large effect.
4. You can insert genes into the genome or insert synthetic material into it.
5. When you do this, you are rewriting your genetic code, which is your software programme.
6. How much change of this code would it take to be considered not human?

Oh and I spelt her name wrong, because I’m an eejit, it’s Madej, not Madij.
It looks more like common or garden antivax the more I think about it. DNA holds your memories though, that’s quite something, and a new one on me...
There is a certain irony that rewriting your DNA is one of the things viruses can do, which vaccination helps prevent.
Shamelessly recycling old jokes since 1952.

User avatar
JQH
Catbabel
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:30 pm
Location: Sar Flandan

Re: Corona-woo

Post by JQH » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:10 pm

Circulating in the US; the swabs will APPLY KEMMYKILLS TO YOUR BRANEZ!!!!
brain damage woo.jpg
brain damage woo.jpg (157.81 KiB) Viewed 613 times
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

raven
Clardic Fug
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:58 pm

Re: Corona-woo

Post by raven » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:07 pm

That is so outrageously stupid it seems like a piss-take.

From the UK instructions for self testing (here):
Place the tip of the cotton bud gently JUST inside one of your nostrils and gently wipe the cotton bud around the inside of your nose. Please repeat this for your other nostril using the same swab. No force is needed and you do not have to push far into your nostril.
My bold. If you manage to hit the cribiform plate following those instructions you've got more to worry about than brain controlling microchips.

Lew Dolby
Clardic Fug
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:59 pm
Location: Shropshire - Welsh Borders

Re: Corona-woo

Post by Lew Dolby » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:11 pm

we've been getting it all wrong. We should be encouraging the USA to build walls on all it's borders - to keep the idiots in !!

Squeak
Fuzzable
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:27 am

Re: Corona-woo

Post by Squeak » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:02 pm

raven wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:07 pm
That is so outrageously stupid it seems like a piss-take.

From the UK instructions for self testing (here):
Place the tip of the cotton bud gently JUST inside one of your nostrils and gently wipe the cotton bud around the inside of your nose. Please repeat this for your other nostril using the same swab. No force is needed and you do not have to push far into your nostril.
My bold. If you manage to hit the cribiform plate following those instructions you've got more to worry about than brain controlling microchips.
In Australia, they're using nasopharyngeal swabs for the tests. Blerrgh. If they're doing the same (in parts) of the US, that meme would be less immediately obviously bollocks.

Even GPs here describe it as feeling as though someone is scraping your brain.

raven
Clardic Fug
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:58 pm

Re: Corona-woo

Post by raven » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:17 pm

Squeak wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:02 pm
In Australia, they're using nasopharyngeal swabs for the tests. Blerrgh. If they're doing the same (in parts) of the US, that meme would be less immediately obviously bollocks.

Even GPs here describe it as feeling as though someone is scraping your brain.
Self-testing instructions in the UK are to swab the back of your throat/tonsils (blergh indeed) and then just inside the nostril as I posted.

Afaik, if a nurse/ doctor/ someone trained is doing it, they will do a proper nasophryngeal swab and for that the swab goes roughly horizontally into the nose as shown in this helpful diagram. The idea being to hit the back of - you guessed it - the nasopharynx. Not to go upwards towards the cribiform plate.

It is, by all accounts, highly unpleasant though.

Squeak
Fuzzable
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:27 am

Re: Corona-woo

Post by Squeak » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:29 pm

raven wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:17 pm
Squeak wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:02 pm
In Australia, they're using nasopharyngeal swabs for the tests. Blerrgh. If they're doing the same (in parts) of the US, that meme would be less immediately obviously bollocks.

Even GPs here describe it as feeling as though someone is scraping your brain.
Self-testing instructions in the UK are to swab the back of your throat/tonsils (blergh indeed) and then just inside the nostril as I posted.

Afaik, if a nurse/ doctor/ someone trained is doing it, they will do a proper nasophryngeal swab and for that the swab goes roughly horizontally into the nose as shown in this helpful diagram. The idea being to hit the back of - you guessed it - the nasopharynx. Not to go upwards towards the cribiform plate.

It is, by all accounts, highly unpleasant though.
It's f.cking horrible and I don't know what they were hitting, despite not being a complete science numpty.

If you were suspicious of medicine and didn't know your cranial anatomy, I don't think this would be especially obviously rubbish, at least not in terms of where the swab goes. The rest of it is obviously rubbish to that of us not inclined to believe the government is putting chips in our brain, but that's for different reasons and we're not the target market.

User avatar
Cardinal Fang
Stargoon
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:42 pm

Re: Corona-woo

Post by Cardinal Fang » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:29 pm

raven wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:17 pm
It is, by all accounts, highly unpleasant though.
I'm eligible to have a test once a week as our hospital offers them to non-symptomatic staff as screening (if you have symptoms, you can also get a swab, just from somewhere else in the building). You have a swab taken from both up the nose and at the back of the throat, right where the gag reflex is.

Not fun in any way shape or form. I don't do it once a week because, being a lab monkey, I don't have contact with patients, being a chromatographer, even my colleages don't often visit my section, and we all wear masks all the time anyway, so I figure even if I'm asymptomatic infectious I'm unlikely to spread it to anyone. If I've been somewhere in the last week where I might have come in contact with others with lurgie (say supermarket), or I've got an engineer coming in the next day or two, then I will get a test, but if it's just home-work-home-work, then I don't

CF
Image

FlammableFlower
Snowbonk
Posts: 520
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:22 pm

Re: Corona-woo

Post by FlammableFlower » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:18 pm

Donald Trump jr gets his Twitter account restricted due to sharing dubious claims
The Guardian wrote:Donald Trump Jr’s Twitter account was restricted after he reshared a video of Dr Stella Immanuel, who has made a number of baseless claims about coronavirus.

Immanuel has hailed hydroxychloroquine as a “cure” for coronavirus, even though the anti-malaria drug has not been found to be an effective treatment against the virus.

The Houston doctor has also dismissed mounting evidence that face masks substantially help to limit the spread of coronavirus.

The Daily Beast has more on Immanuel:

Immanuel, a pediatrician and a religious minister, has a history of making bizarre claims about medical topics and other issues. She has often claimed that gynecological problems like cysts and endometriosis are in fact caused by people having sex in their dreams with demons and witches.

She alleges alien DNA is currently used in medical treatments, and that scientists are cooking up a vaccine to prevent people from being religious. And, despite appearing in Washington, D.C. to lobby Congress on Monday, she has said that the government is run in part not by humans but by ‘reptilians’ and other aliens.
A medic who's gone full David Icke and yet has access to lobby congress...

User avatar
Vertigowooyay
Clardic Fug
Posts: 179
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:25 pm

Re: Corona-woo

Post by Vertigowooyay » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:38 am

FlammableFlower wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:18 pm
Donald Trump jr gets his Twitter account restricted due to sharing dubious claims
The Guardian wrote:Donald Trump Jr’s Twitter account was restricted after he reshared a video of Dr Stella Immanuel, who has made a number of baseless claims about coronavirus.

Immanuel has hailed hydroxychloroquine as a “cure” for coronavirus, even though the anti-malaria drug has not been found to be an effective treatment against the virus.

The Houston doctor has also dismissed mounting evidence that face masks substantially help to limit the spread of coronavirus.

The Daily Beast has more on Immanuel:

Immanuel, a pediatrician and a religious minister, has a history of making bizarre claims about medical topics and other issues. She has often claimed that gynecological problems like cysts and endometriosis are in fact caused by people having sex in their dreams with demons and witches.

She alleges alien DNA is currently used in medical treatments, and that scientists are cooking up a vaccine to prevent people from being religious. And, despite appearing in Washington, D.C. to lobby Congress on Monday, she has said that the government is run in part not by humans but by ‘reptilians’ and other aliens.
A medic who's gone full David Icke and yet has access to lobby congress...
And, of course, Trump thinks she’s‘spectacular’.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... SApp_Other
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

User avatar
FredM
Stargoon
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:36 pm
Location: Norwich
Contact:

Re: Corona-woo

Post by FredM » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:24 am

FlammableFlower wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:18 pm
Donald Trump jr gets his Twitter account restricted due to sharing dubious claims
The Guardian wrote:Donald Trump Jr’s Twitter account was restricted after he reshared a video of Dr Stella Immanuel, who has made a number of baseless claims about coronavirus.

Immanuel has hailed hydroxychloroquine as a “cure” for coronavirus, even though the anti-malaria drug has not been found to be an effective treatment against the virus.

The Houston doctor has also dismissed mounting evidence that face masks substantially help to limit the spread of coronavirus.

The Daily Beast has more on Immanuel:

Immanuel, a pediatrician and a religious minister, has a history of making bizarre claims about medical topics and other issues. She has often claimed that gynecological problems like cysts and endometriosis are in fact caused by people having sex in their dreams with demons and witches.

She alleges alien DNA is currently used in medical treatments, and that scientists are cooking up a vaccine to prevent people from being religious. And, despite appearing in Washington, D.C. to lobby Congress on Monday, she has said that the government is run in part not by humans but by ‘reptilians’ and other aliens.
A medic who's gone full David Icke and yet has access to lobby congress...
See also.

FlammableFlower
Snowbonk
Posts: 520
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:22 pm

Re: Corona-woo

Post by FlammableFlower » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:39 am

This journalist's questioning got him riled, but he quickly descended to the usual "don't know them" excuse:
But Kaitlan Collins, White House correspondent for CNN, challenged the president. “The woman that you said was a ‘great doctor’ in that video that you retweeted last night said that masks don’t work and there is a cure for Covid-19, both of which health experts say is not true,” she said.

“She’s also made videos saying that doctors make medicine using DNA from aliens and that they’re trying to create a vaccine to make you immune from becoming religious.”

Looking increasingly agitated, Trump replied: “Maybe it’s the same [person], maybe it’s not, but I can tell you this. She was on air along with many other doctors. They were big fans of hydroxychloroquine and I thought she was very impressive in the sense that, from where she came – I don’t know which country she comes from – but she said that she’s had tremendous success with hundreds of different patients.

“And I thought her voice was an important voice, but I know nothing about her.”
And as FredM's link shows - it all comes back to conservative groups who are footing the bills for this misinformation.
The event was hosted and funded by the Tea Party Patriots, a right-wing political nonprofit group led by Jenny Beth Martin, the group's co-founder, who spoke at the news conference.

User avatar
Little waster
Catbabel
Posts: 612
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:35 am
Location: About 1 inch behind my eyes

Re: Corona-woo

Post by Little waster » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:57 am

Which naturally leads to the question, what’s the difference between a Tea Partier and Dr Immanuel?

One’s a lunatic conspiracy nut, believing in a dangerous mishmash of bizarre delusions which bear no reality to no known reality, consisting of one part pseudoscience to two parts bad SF, widely mocked and ignored by anyone with even the faintest of clues what’s going on.

And the other Spoiler:
Shamelessly recycling old jokes since 1952.

FlammableFlower
Snowbonk
Posts: 520
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:22 pm

Re: Corona-woo

Post by FlammableFlower » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:23 am

We can add Madonna to the list of celebs who have been spreading corona-woo - and in her case having tested positive to COVID19, maybe the disease too...

User avatar
Woodchopper
After Pie
Posts: 1620
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:05 am

Re: Corona-woo

Post by Woodchopper » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:23 pm

Pew survey on belief in Covid conspiracies
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2 ... s-planned/

tl;dr most likely to be believed by people with less education, Republicans, Hispanic people and women.

User avatar
individualmember
Fuzzable
Posts: 323
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:26 pm

Re: Corona-woo

Post by individualmember » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:07 am

I’m sorry if this has been done and I’ve missed the discussion, but someone is posting this on basefook and I don’t know how to approach it https://thenationalpulse.com/news/un-ex ... bioweapon/

Please help

User avatar
Woodchopper
After Pie
Posts: 1620
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:05 am

Re: Corona-woo

Post by Woodchopper » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:23 am

individualmember wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:07 am
I’m sorry if this has been done and I’ve missed the discussion, but someone is posting this on basefook and I don’t know how to approach it https://thenationalpulse.com/news/un-ex ... bioweapon/

Please help
From the top of the article:
While charges that COVID-19 was a man-made bioweapon have been dismissed by the mainstream media, Tritto’s credentials have the potential to lend serious credibility to his findings.

As Executive President of the World Academy of Biomedical Sciences and Technologies, he oversees an institution which regularly collaborates with United Nations (UN) agencies such as United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO.)

The UN is the body that oversees the World Health Organization (WHO), tasked with overseeing the world’s COVID-19 response and frequently accused of subservience to the Chinese Communist Party.
I've tried to Google the World Academy of Biomedical Sciences and Technologies. It doesn't appear to have a web site. All I get are a few mentions in other documents.

'Collaboration' with the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) doesn't mean very much at all. To start with UNESCO doesn't work on bio-weapons or virology, more importantly any NGO can apply to become UNESCO accredited. Just fill in an application form. Being accredited isn't automatic, but its not that difficult.

The UN isn't subservient to the Chinese Communist Party. The World Health Organization is governed separately from the rest of the UN.

I'll let others weigh in on the science.

Post Reply