Myrkl - the pre-drinking pill

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
shpalman
Princess POW

Myrkl - the pre-drinking pill

Post by shpalman » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:16 pm

The makers of Myrkl claim that it* breaks alcohol down in your gut such that less of it has to be eventually dealt with by your liver. This is being marketed as a way to avoid hangovers but it would apparently lead to you getting less drunk in the first place, which isn't a bad thing as long as you don't just drink more to compensate.

I don't drink much when I'm out but I'd still be curious to try it.

* it's got some sorts of bacteria in it along with L-Cysteine and Vitamin B12.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

dyqik
Princess POW

Re: Myrkl - the pre-drinking pill

Post by dyqik » Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:39 pm

Hmmm, a drug that has a name that seems obviously designed to be pronounced "Miracle", and is claimed to have hard to evaluate effects...

Aitch
Snowbonk

Post by Aitch » Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:45 pm

dyqik wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:39 pm
Hmmm, a drug that has a name that seems obviously designed to be pronounced "Miracle", and is claimed to have hard to evaluate effects...
But will probably be pronounced Merkel...
Some people call me strange.
I prefer unconventional.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept eccentric

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:18 pm

I mean, it's a pre-drinking pill.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:48 pm

They have a paper: clicky

It's a small study (N=24), with not that much boozing. They lost 10 of their participants because the blood alcohol level was too low to measure, so N = 14, really, but they keep saying 24. Participants also took the pills for a week before drinking, instead of just before, but they mention an unpublished study where they say they found a similar, but weakened effect, but I cannot find it, so it must be still un-published (to be fair, this one was only accepted a month ago). They didn't seem to do any controlling for other factors that might affect being drunk, outside of body weight.

It also seems that they were giving the people the shots in the morning, because they gave them breakfast. Cornflakes and vodka. Yums.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:01 pm

monkey wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:48 pm

It also seems that they were giving the people the shots in the morning, because they gave them breakfast. Cornflakes and vodka. Yums.
A housemate at college used to put Southern Comfort on their breakfast cereal, but they had a significant substance use habit.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:31 am

Gfamily wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:01 pm
monkey wrote:

A housemate at college used to put Southern Comfort on their breakfast cereal, but they had a significant substance use habit.
You are Marwood (AICMFP)
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

Al Capone Junior
Clardic Fug

Post by Al Capone Junior » Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:18 am

Gfamily wrote:
monkey wrote:

Meh, it could be worse. Sour mash whiskey or Jim beam would be worse.

But rum would be even worse than all of those combined.

Turpentine would be preferable to rum. :shock:

I always think of rum as mixed with foul water in wooden barrels on stinking whaling ships to keep the water just barely drinkable enough to be slightly preferable over death

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:47 am

Al Capone Junior wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:18 am
Gfamily wrote:
monkey wrote:

Meh, it could be worse. Sour mash whiskey or Jim beam would be worse.

But rum would be even worse than all of those combined.

Turpentine would be preferable to rum. :shock:

I always think of rum as mixed with foul water in wooden barrels on stinking whaling ships to keep the water just barely drinkable enough to be slightly preferable over death
As is often the case, rum varies. I challenge you not to enjoy a decent premium rum like Zacapa or Angostura.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:56 am

Guardian journalist tests it
I’m staying in, so it’s possible to measure my evening intake with precision: a single bottle of beer, followed by a single bottle of wine
If you're phrasing it like "a single bottle of wine" and not "a whole entire bottle of wine" in terms of drinking alone on a night in, then f.cking hell get help.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk