Dog learns to talk

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
shpalman
Princess POW

Dog learns to talk

Post by shpalman » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:43 am

sausages using a "custom soundboard ‘Similar To 2 Year Old’"

https://www.unilad.co.uk/animals/dog-le ... -year-old/
One day in particular, when the puppy was whining at the front door and Christina assumed she wanted to go outside, Stella was able to prevent any further confusion when she walked right up to her device and stepped on the words: ‘Want’, ‘Jake’, and ‘Come’.

She then stood in front of the door until Christina’s fiancé, Jake, came home a few minutes later. After his arrival, the dog went over to the soundboard and pressed ‘happy,’ before rolling over for a belly rub.
It's adorable but of course I wonder how much selective reporting and confirmation bias is going on.

The Instagram is hunger4words, Stella does seem more articulate and literate than some users of the platform.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Tuesday
Bank Butt

Re: Dog learns to talk

Post by Tuesday » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:12 pm

That's really interesting. I taught my dog to read a couple of words - basically I would hold up a sign with a command on it like "sit" and she would do it. She could "read" four commands like this and got it right most of the time, even when somebody else other than me held up the signs. It was hard to tell whether she was really "reading" or if she was responding to body language, but it was a good trick.

While I was researching how to teach her to read I came across this video of dogs playing music which I think is pretty impressive. There's more on the channel of the dogs playing different tunes and even reading notes.

Gawdzilla Sama
Clardic Fug

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:35 pm

Didn't Koko already do this?

:P

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:06 am

Dogs do respond to body language and motion, step towards them with a finger raised and they'll naturally fall into a sitting position (head leans back as they watch the finger, stepping forward sharpens the angle)

Vertigowooyay
Snowbonk

Post by Vertigowooyay » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:25 pm

There's a good Infinite Monkey Cage from a few weeks ago called Clever Creatures which looks into animal intelligence, which is well worth a listen. Availible as a podcast on Apple, if you want to avoid using the BBC Sounds app.
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.