Astronomy and Space

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
Pishwish
Buzzberry

Re: Astronomy and Space

Post by Pishwish » Sat May 15, 2021 1:35 pm

China has landed a rover on Mars. Not much information, I expect pictures will be released over the next week or so.

Rocketlab, the small payload rocket company, has suffered another failure as its second stage only briefly ignited. The company is trialling reuse and was also hoping to recover its first stage, not sure if they have achieved that.

SpaceX has submitted plans for an orbital (ish) test of its starship/super heavy rocket after June 20.

bmforre
Snowbonk

Post by bmforre » Mon May 24, 2021 1:35 am

dyqik wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:16 pm
The Arecibo Telescope can't be repaired after it's last hurricane damage, and will now be decommissioned.

https://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=301674
But Joy to Astronomy World:
-- China's Five-hundred-meter Aperture Spherical Radio Telescope (FAST), the world's largest filled-aperture and most sensitive radio telescope, has officially opened to the world starting Wednesday.

-- Astronomers globally can submit their observation applications for evaluation till May 15 and the results will be announced on July 20. Observations by overseas scientists will begin in August.

-- The opening of FAST demonstrates that China is seriously expanding the circle of friends in basic research and sharing FAST with the rest of the world, said Li Di, chief scientist of the telescope.
Hurrah!

basementer
Catbabel

Post by basementer » Mon May 24, 2021 1:42 am

I guess they wanted to stress Spherical rather than Radio. Wouldn't want it to become known as the FART.
Money is just a substitute for luck anyway. - Tom Siddell

basementer
Catbabel

Post by basementer » Wed May 26, 2021 9:07 am

The moon's entering the penumbra and it's already quite high in the sky. Fingers crossed for continuing clear weather.

basementer
Catbabel

Post by basementer » Wed May 26, 2021 12:14 pm

I think this is my best pic of tonight's eclipse (it's 3k*2k, more detail comes out when you download the file and open it in an image editor - I have a 6k*4k jpeg too if anyone's interested, but it's over the forum's file size limit.)
Attachments
Lunar Eclipse 2021-05-26 035.jpg
Lunar Eclipse 2021-05-26 035.jpg (193.67 KiB) Viewed 171 times

Gfamily
After Pie

Post by Gfamily » Wed May 26, 2021 12:30 pm

Nice one.
One of my astro friends is despairing of someone in his local club (in Shropshire) who is posting on their Facebook group about "seeing the eclipse".

Still, we have our partial solar eclipse due in a couple of weeks.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

basementer
Catbabel

Post by basementer » Wed May 26, 2021 6:16 pm

We had a good partial solar visible from Wellington a few years ago. The light shining through trees projected lots of little crescent suns onto the ground. Hope you have clear weather.

shpalman
Light of Blast

Post by shpalman » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:06 am

molto tricky