Have you seen this star?

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
Post Reply
User avatar
jaap
Clardic Fug
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:05 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Have you seen this star?

Post by jaap » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:10 pm

A star has gone missing, and they don't know what happened to it:

https://www.eso.org/public/news/eso2010/
Using the European Southern Observatory’s Very Large Telescope (VLT), astronomers have discovered the absence of an unstable massive star in a dwarf galaxy. Scientists think this could indicate that the star became less bright and partially obscured by dust. An alternative explanation is that the star collapsed into a black hole without producing a supernova. “If true,” says team leader and PhD student Andrew Allan of Trinity College Dublin, Ireland, “this would be the first direct detection of such a monster star ending its life in this manner.”

User avatar
Grumble
Catbabel
Posts: 945
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Re: Have you seen this star?

Post by Grumble » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:40 pm

jaap wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:10 pm
A star has gone missing, and they don't know what happened to it:

https://www.eso.org/public/news/eso2010/
Using the European Southern Observatory’s Very Large Telescope (VLT), astronomers have discovered the absence of an unstable massive star in a dwarf galaxy. Scientists think this could indicate that the star became less bright and partially obscured by dust. An alternative explanation is that the star collapsed into a black hole without producing a supernova. “If true,” says team leader and PhD student Andrew Allan of Trinity College Dublin, Ireland, “this would be the first direct detection of such a monster star ending its life in this manner.”
Dyson Swarm, it’s the only logical explanation
I know this is vitriol, no solution, spleen venting, but I feel better having screamed, don’t you?

User avatar
dyqik
After Pie
Posts: 2188
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: Have you seen this star?

Post by dyqik » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:57 pm

Grumble wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:40 pm
jaap wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:10 pm
A star has gone missing, and they don't know what happened to it:

https://www.eso.org/public/news/eso2010/
Using the European Southern Observatory’s Very Large Telescope (VLT), astronomers have discovered the absence of an unstable massive star in a dwarf galaxy. Scientists think this could indicate that the star became less bright and partially obscured by dust. An alternative explanation is that the star collapsed into a black hole without producing a supernova. “If true,” says team leader and PhD student Andrew Allan of Trinity College Dublin, Ireland, “this would be the first direct detection of such a monster star ending its life in this manner.”
Dyson Swarm, it’s the only logical explanation
It's a mighty big vacuum cleaner that can suck up a star.

User avatar
Martin Y
Dorkwood
Posts: 1243
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:08 pm

Re: Have you seen this star?

Post by Martin Y » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:06 pm

dyqik wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:57 pm
Grumble wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:40 pm
Dyson Swarm, it’s the only logical explanation
It's a mighty big vacuum cleaner that can suck up a star.
In space, nobody can hear how noisy your overpriced vacuum cleaner really is.

Post Reply