Institute of Physics lecture: DUNE international neutrino observatory

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Institute of Physics lecture: DUNE international neutrino observatory

Post by Stephanie » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:04 pm

Another London lecture on 27 November! This time it's at the Institute of Physics at 18:30pm (tea/coffee at 18:00).

https://events.iop.org/dune-internation ... bservatory
The Deep Underground Neutrino Experiment (DUNE) will be an international observatory for neutrino science, designed, constructed and operated by a global collaboration of more than 1000 scientists and engineers with a leading contribution from the UK. With DUNE, physicists will seek to understand the role neutrinos play in the formation of the universe, addressing the question why there is more matter than antimatter. The lecture will introduce the science goals and the technology employed by DUNE.
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

dyqik
Princess POW

Re: Institute of Physics lecture: DUNE international neutrino observatory

Post by dyqik » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:53 pm

Stephanie wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:04 pm
Another London lecture on 27 November! This time it's at the Institute of Physics at 18:30pm (tea/coffee at 18:00).

https://events.iop.org/dune-internation ... bservatory
The Deep Underground Neutrino Experiment (DUNE) will be an international observatory for neutrino science, designed, constructed and operated by a global collaboration of more than 1000 scientists and engineers with a leading contribution from the UK. With DUNE, physicists will seek to understand the role neutrinos play in the formation of the universe, addressing the question why there is more matter than antimatter. The lecture will introduce the science goals and the technology employed by DUNE.
But is it pronounced "Doon", as in the intro sequence to the RTS of that name? ;)

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Re: Institute of Physics lecture: DUNE international neutrino observatory

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:19 am

My nephew has done some work on that. I think they're in a stage where they're doing simulations in advance to build up a database of the probable particle trails they might see. Or something like that. He explained it very enthusiastically.

He's off to North Dakota at some point to do more neutrino related things.

Thanks, Stephanie, I might go along to that.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued