Havana syndrome

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Princess POW
Posts: 8788
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Havana syndrome

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:29 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:57 pm
It seems likely that the many cases have many different causes.

Mass mass psychogenic illness is possible, for example morgellons.

However, some of the people who claim to have been affected by Havana Syndrome have been examined by competent doctors who didn't diagnose a psychogenic illness, and did suggest that the people affected "have sustained injury to widespread brain networks without an associated history of head trauma."

I'd rather that internet randoms like me didn't assume that they know more than doctors who have actually examined those who claim to be affected by Havanna Syndrome.

Something unusual has happened, but I really don't know what. The mystery makes the case interesting.

[Edited to add link and delete repetition]
Quite.

I also rather doubt that the US intelligence services would announce an entire task force including former CIA bin Laden hunters etc just to "avoid causing offense" to embassy workers.
Tree dwellers leaping out the boughs shouting «Get the paper»
Trunk hugging rebels chucking petals at a detonator

bmforre
Snowbonk
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:15 pm
Location: Trondheim

Re: Havana syndrome

Post by bmforre » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:59 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:29 pm
I ... rather doubt that the US intelligence services would announce an entire task force including former CIA bin Laden hunters etc just to "avoid causing offense" to embassy workers.
I rather believe they may be willing to show an impressive task force in order to indicate that opposing powers are down to deep and dirty deeds ...

User avatar
Woodchopper
Light of Blast
Posts: 5156
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:05 am

Re: Havana syndrome

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:14 pm

bmforre wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:59 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:29 pm
I ... rather doubt that the US intelligence services would announce an entire task force including former CIA bin Laden hunters etc just to "avoid causing offense" to embassy workers.
I rather believe they may be willing to show an impressive task force in order to indicate that opposing powers are down to deep and dirty deeds ...
I disagree.

The suggestion that foreign powers are getting away with harming US diplomats and other officials is embarrassing. The US is supposed to be the predominant military power in the world, and apparently it can't even work out if some other power giving its personnel brain damage. The whole affair makes it look weak and ineffectual.

bmforre
Snowbonk
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:15 pm
Location: Trondheim

Re: Havana syndrome

Post by bmforre » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:15 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:04 am
Posters who know more than I do about physics seem convinced it's impossible to develop such a weapon, based on how non-military non-weapon technology works.
Talking about "technology" tends to confuse the issues when one is facing fundamentals. Do people believe that mass can be free of gravitation just because that would be convenient in some military weapons applications? Similar goes for diffraction free waves.

bmforre
Snowbonk
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:15 pm
Location: Trondheim

Re: Havana syndrome

Post by bmforre » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:24 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:14 pm
The suggestion that foreign powers are getting away with harming US diplomats and other officials is embarrassing. The US is supposed to be the predominant military power in the world, and apparently it can't even work out if some other power giving its personnel brain damage. The whole affair makes it look weak and ineffectual.
We are now accustomed to political power being used to combat life saving vaccination and infection protection. So parts of US political power is deep into harming not just officials and combatants but civilians. So I am not surprised.

User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Princess POW
Posts: 8788
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Havana syndrome

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:56 pm

bmforre wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:15 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:04 am
Posters who know more than I do about physics seem convinced it's impossible to develop such a weapon, based on how non-military non-weapon technology works.
Talking about "technology" tends to confuse the issues when one is facing fundamentals. Do people believe that mass can be free of gravitation just because that would be convenient in some military weapons applications? Similar goes for diffraction free waves.
Given that nobody has any idea of what, if anything, has happened, it seems to be jumping the gun a bit to say that diffraction-free waves are a necessary assumption.
Tree dwellers leaping out the boughs shouting «Get the paper»
Trunk hugging rebels chucking petals at a detonator

User avatar
dyqik
Light of Blast
Posts: 5258
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: Havana syndrome

Post by dyqik » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:03 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:56 pm
bmforre wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:15 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:04 am
Posters who know more than I do about physics seem convinced it's impossible to develop such a weapon, based on how non-military non-weapon technology works.
Talking about "technology" tends to confuse the issues when one is facing fundamentals. Do people believe that mass can be free of gravitation just because that would be convenient in some military weapons applications? Similar goes for diffraction free waves.
Given that nobody has any idea of what, if anything, has happened, it seems to be jumping the gun a bit to say that diffraction-free waves are a necessary assumption.
Diffraction free wave aren't strictly necessary, but they do rule some of the options that have been discussed.

For example, they completely rule out low frequency waves transmitted from outside the building and focused to an extent that they aren't trivially detectable at a large distance. That applies whether the signals are pulsed or not.

There's additional fundamental constraints on pulse waveforms and transmitting them in complex urban and semi-urban environments with multipath effects.

User avatar
Woodchopper
Light of Blast
Posts: 5156
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:05 am

Re: Havana syndrome

Post by Woodchopper » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:21 am


In a new intelligence assessment, the CIA has ruled out that the mysterious symptoms known as Havana Syndrome are the result of a sustained global campaign by a hostile power aimed at hundreds of U.S. diplomats and spies, six people briefed on the matter told NBC News.

In about two dozen cases, the agency cannot rule out foreign involvement, including many of the cases that originated at the U.S. Embassy in Havana beginning in 2016. Another group of cases is considered unresolved. But in hundreds of other cases of possible symptoms, the agency has found plausible alternative explanations, the sources said.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/nation ... -rcna12838

Al Capone Junior
Stargoon
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:40 pm

Re: Havana syndrome

Post by Al Capone Junior » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:26 pm

May have already been posted, but I love this explanation of Havana syndrome

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g9C3ZKWLZG4

User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Princess POW
Posts: 8788
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Havana syndrome

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:35 pm

I keep getting that song Havana by Camila Cabello stuck in my head.

Damn commies.
Tree dwellers leaping out the boughs shouting «Get the paper»
Trunk hugging rebels chucking petals at a detonator

Al Capone Junior
Stargoon
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:40 pm

Re: Havana syndrome

Post by Al Capone Junior » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:17 pm

https://newrepublic.com/article/165200/ ... sal-russia

Ooo. Now ppl are really getting butt-hurt over this.

philbo
Sindis Poop
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:06 am

Re: Havana syndrome

Post by philbo » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:26 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:35 pm
I keep getting that song Havana by Camila Cabello stuck in my head.

Damn commies.
I'm hearing it to the tune of Hava Nagila. So it's probably Mossad to blame

(There's a reason I don't hang around here much any more: I've just spent ages reading just this thread, and I don't have time to keep up.. which is a shame, because there is so much brainpower on display when compared to pretty much anywhere else I frequent on t'interwebs)

User avatar
basementer
Dorkwood
Posts: 1287
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm
Location: 5713, Aotearoa
Contact:

Re: Havana syndrome

Post by basementer » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:20 pm

Glad to hear from you, philbo.
Money is just a substitute for luck anyway. - Tom Siddell

Post Reply