Definition of temperature

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
sTeamTraen
After Pie

Definition of temperature

Post by sTeamTraen » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:16 pm

My basic understanding of temperature is that it represents the amount of energy that is "floating about" in a given place.

Why, then, are the units of temperature not joules per cubic metre?
Something something hammer something something nail

basementer
Dorkwood

Re: Definition of temperature

Post by basementer » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:20 pm

Different materials having different specific heat capacity?
Money is just a substitute for luck anyway. - Tom Siddell

Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige

Post by Boustrophedon » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:00 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:16 pm
My basic understanding of temperature is that it represents the amount of energy that is "floating about" in a given place.

Thermodynamics was never my strongest subject, but I believe it is the distribution of the energy amongst the particles.
Consider a bunch of particles all travelling to the left with the exact same high velocity. They would have a lot of energy but would be really cold.
Hjulet snurrar men hamstern är död.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:07 pm

From here

Heat is the total energy of molecular motion in a substance while temperature is a measure of the average energy of molecular motion in a substance. Heat energy depends on the speed of the particles, the number of particles (the size or mass), and the type of particles in an object.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:30 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:

Most generally, temperature is the rate of change of enthalpy with a change in entropy.

In an ideal gas, it's also a measure of the kinetic energy of the particles of the gas, but that's a very specific case.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:42 am

dyqik wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:30 pm
sTeamTraen wrote:

Most generally, temperature is the rate of change of enthalpy with a change in entropy.

In an ideal gas, it's also a measure of the kinetic energy of the particles of the gas, but that's a very specific case.
It's specific to that case because an ideal monoatomic gas can only express energy in terms of the kinetic energy of the atoms of the gas (assuming we are not yet at the very high temperatures required to excite a significant proportion of the electrons in the atoms to higher levels). To have a temperature, the energy profile of the atoms needs to follow a certain distribution.

Each of the three dimensions in which an atom can move is a "degree of freedom". If we have a diatomic gas, then vibrations and rotations of the molecule add other degrees of freedom (usually at room temperature we need to consider two axes of rotation, but we don't yet consider the vibrations, because they require an even higher temperature to become activated). If we have a solid, then the vibrations of the atoms in the structure of the material make up degrees of freedom. Whatever you have, if it has something which it does more of when there is more energy in it, that's a degree of freedom, in this context at least.

That something is at a temperature T when each degree of freedom contains (at a suitably atomic/molecular level) ½kT of energy (or if it's a whole mole of a gas, ½RT), distributed statistically in the appropriate manner. So there's your link with energy, but if the distribution isn't a "thermal" one (or the system is so simple that it can't be described statisically) then the system just doesn't have a well-defined temperature.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

greyspoke
Fuzzable

Post by greyspoke » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:47 am

^That is about what I remember from my degree. So how does that apply to places where there are only quanta of em radiation flying about? I often read about the temperature of deep space and wonder what it is. Is it something to do with black body radiation?

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:52 am

greyspoke wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:47 am
^That is about what I remember from my degree. So how does that apply to places where there are only quanta of em radiation flying about? I often read about the temperature of deep space and wonder what it is. Is it something to do with black body radiation?
If you consider a cubic box with shiny sides, you can consider photons bouncing around inside it. If they too have a thermal spectrum, because photon energy is proportional to their frequency, then when you put a small hole in the side of the box and consider the flux of photons coming out, you will get a black body radiation spectrum.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:54 am

greyspoke wrote:
That's what I recall (probably quite poorly) from my thermodynamics - the temperature of a vacuum is a meaningless idea, there being no mass to have a temperature.
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

greyspoke
Fuzzable

Post by greyspoke » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:16 am

shpalman wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:52 am
greyspoke wrote:
If you consider a cubic box with shiny sides, you can consider photons bouncing around inside it. If they too have a thermal spectrum, because photon energy is proportional to their frequency, then when you put a small hole in the side of the box and consider the flux of photons coming out, you will get a black body radiation spectrum.
So the radiation in space is a combination of the cosmic microwave background and stuff coming from stars. Will any of that have the same distribution as black body radiation? And if it doesn't have a ?Boltzmann distribution, does temperature still mean something/the same thing?

philip
Bank Butt

Post by philip » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:25 am

Yes, the CMB radiation has a Boltzmann distribution with a peak at 3K.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:09 pm

philip wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:25 am
Yes, the CMB radiation has a Boltzmann distribution with a peak at 3K.
2.72548±0.00057 K

It's probably the most perfect blackbody spectrum available, and so also thing that most follows the idealized definition of temperature. I think there's an XKCD for that ;)

The 0.57 mK includes variation in CMB temperature in different places due to physics in the early universe, not just measurement errors.

greyspoke
Fuzzable

Post by greyspoke » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:32 pm

Thanks peeps. Does it have to be randomly oriented radiation like the cmb, rather than a beam of light going somewhere? (By analogy with particles I suppose.)

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:03 pm

greyspoke wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:32 pm
Thanks peeps. Does it have to be randomly oriented radiation like the cmb, rather than a beam of light going somewhere? (By analogy with particles I suppose.)
As long as there's a defined set of photons with an energy distribution, you can define a temperature for it. The distribution doesn't have to be Maxwellian, as you can use T = dq/dS to define temperature.

This is also how you get to negative temperatures in inverted populations - e.g. in laser systems. If you have an inverted two level system with higher occupation of the upper state than the lower state, increasing the entropy requires that you take energy out of the system, so dq/dS is negative.