Papers without code

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Papers without code

Post by Stephanie » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:26 pm

Might be of interest to some folk here, about problems in the machine learning community with papers that don't have the necessary code or methods for other researchers to reproduce

https://thenextweb.com/neural/2021/03/0 ... ndication/
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

kerrya1
Clardic Fug

Re: Papers without code

Post by kerrya1 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:34 pm

Stephanie wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:26 pm
Might be of interest to some folk here, about problems in the machine learning community with papers that don't have the necessary code or methods for other researchers to reproduce

Yet another example of the Reproducibility Crisis in research, and the reason I'll have a job until retirement!

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:50 am

kerrya1 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:34 pm
Stephanie wrote:

Yet another example of the Reproducibility Crisis in research, and the reason I'll have a job until retirement!
See also some circuits developed with evolutionary algorithms. They can be very effective, but are resistant to analysis as they often utilise strange parasitic effects that simulations don't account for. They might be efficient both in silicon utilisation and power, but it's very hard to assess corner situations for reliability assesment.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:46 pm

Stephanie wrote:

That is very interesting, thanks Steph.
we're working on a project that should result in a paper.
I'll make sure we publish everything necessary for our reuslts to be reproduced

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:54 pm

Non-reproducibility has been a big problem in computer science for quite some time; even if code is provided it doesn't always work.

For this paper I had to get a model to run that contained about 20,000 lines of Python 2.7 code (!) and it was a major ordeal. First, the code wasn't provided where the authors had said they'd put it, although I eventually found it by googling. Then I had to build a Linux VM to run it in, which I was able to work out how to do but which may not be within reach of every psychologist. Then the models took 36 hours each to run, and there were four of them. And the numbers they output were similar, but not identical, to what was reported in the paper. So the original article was to some extent unfalsifiable in the sense that without help from the authors nobody could get the same results (and the code is a bit f.cked now because it seems that Python 2.x is going the way of all flesh), but there was so much else wrong with the whole idea that that didn't matter too much.
Something something hammer something something nail

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:57 pm

My preferred way to run Python on Windows is to use Ubuntu in the WSL.

But anyone stuck on python 2.x who isn't able to update their code to run on python 3 shouldn't be allowed near a computer just in general.

They probably did division of integers at some point in it or something. And I remember that thing where windows and linux present the files in different orders via their OS calls or something, which ruined a whole load of people's sh.t.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:21 am

If the code doesn't have unit tests to detect that when run under a multi-environnent testing system, then it's not reliable enough for publication.

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:11 pm

tom p wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:46 pm
Stephanie wrote:

That is very interesting, thanks Steph.
we're working on a project that should result in a paper.
I'll make sure we publish everything necessary for our reuslts to be reproduced
oh that sounds cool :) you'll have to share with us, if you can
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."