Quantized Majorana conductance

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
bmforre
Snowbonk

Re: Quantized Majorana conductance

Post by bmforre » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:48 pm

Snippet from the not-philosophy nor science prophesying shpalman linked to:
... discover nutritionally viable methods of food synthesis.

In essence, that would mean the invention of a machine that could produce food from ambient, available resources – like a 3D-printer that makes nutritionally viable food-paste out of air and mud ...
So where is the energy and negative entropy required for this production to come from??

:evil: Rubbish that may fool some.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:56 pm

bmforre wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:48 pm

In essence, that would mean the invention of a machine that could produce food from ambient, available resources – like a 3D-printer that makes nutritionally viable food-paste out of air and mud ...
So where is the energy and negative entropy required for this production to come from??

You could use solar power, and I reckon you'd need water too.

I think plants have already been invented though.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:42 am

bmforre wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:48 pm

I've only just read the final Culture novel and I think the science in there is more consistently worked out.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Al Capone Junior
Clardic Fug

Post by Al Capone Junior » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:37 pm

nezumi wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:08 am
I know nothing about the subject and this comment adds nothing to the discussion but... I keep reading the thread title as marijuana and it's very distracting.
This won't add anything either, but does have to do with marijuana.

A man came to buy my mom's pop up camper yesterday. He was there for a couple hours. I saw he had a pipe and some bud in a bag. We exchanged a bud as well.

My dog, Chico, came out to meet him and jumped in his truck. Chico is small. He's also very friendly, and VERY food motivated.

A couple hours later, Chico is acting exactly as I felt when I ate a very strong pot edible last year. I like to smoke, but no more edibles, ever.

I suspected he had eaten some weed. I've seen dogs eat it before. I called to make sure he had not spilled pharmaceuticals or had pills in the truck, and there was nothing else it could have been.

What's the chance he had dropped a bud and Chico had found it. Oh, about 100%.

Chico is fine now, but woke up with a bad case of the Munchies.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:23 pm

having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:23 am

it's totally not our fault for making up something which doesn't exist it's your fault for not making good enough material

I'm sure that once you do manage to make better material, following considerable experimental and technical effort, when it still doesn't work it will still be your fault.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:50 am

@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:52 pm

@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:19 am

Here's a review on Semiconductor Spin Qubits which will probably be eventually published in Reviews of Modern Physics but is free to read on arxiv, for anyone who wants to read seriously on the subject.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:42 am

Ballistic superconductivity in semiconductor nanowires...
Majorana modes are zero-energy quasiparticles emerging at the boundary of a topological superconductor
No they aren't. They would be, if they existed, but they don't.

I share my plots from additional data that confirm non-representative selection and manipulation. I am a co-author of this paper, but I did not know about this.
I am on this paper because I developed such devices in the group, but I did not take these data. I trusted they had evidence to back up their claims, though I voiced concerns at the time. Now I find the paper to be invalid. I will seek retraction or I remove my name from it.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:41 pm

Or not. Located in the twitter thread from your later post.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:55 pm

IvanV wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:41 pm
Or not. Located in the twitter thread from your later post.
Given the whole thread I was assuming shpalman was pointing this out as another ridiculous claim. I'd go as far as to say nonsense claim.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:26 pm

Of course it's nonsense, it's not like they're in a superposition of tardigrade there or not there, or tardigrade in one qubit or the other.

I know how entanglement is created between or within qubits and this isn't it.

Spoiler:
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:22 pm

shpalman wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:26 pm
Of course it's nonsense, it's not like they're in a superposition of tardigrade there or not there, or tardigrade in one qubit or the other.

I know how entanglement is created between or within qubits and this isn't it.

Spoiler:
Yes, when I scanned it, my first thought was that it was a category error

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:15 am

quantum apocalypse!

Maybe quantum computers will at least save us from the "grey goo" of nanobots we're supposed to have been knee deep in by now.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:44 pm

shpalman wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:15 am
quantum apocalypse!

Maybe quantum computers will at least save us from the "grey goo" of nanobots we're supposed to have been knee deep in by now.
They should at least save us from the bored apes.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:02 pm

shpalman wrote:
quantum apocalypse!

There are plenty of nanobots around at the moment. The larger ones are self-powered. The smaller ones need a host to replicate.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:18 pm

jimbob wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:02 pm
shpalman wrote:
quantum apocalypse!

There are plenty of nanobots around at the moment. The larger ones are self-powered. The smaller ones need a host to replicate.
some moron wrote:wiTh The potEntIAL power Of a NEaR-FUturE QUaNTuM compUTiNG sySTeM, iT’S perFeCTly FeaSIBlE TO ImAGInE a WORlD wheRe dISease and IlLnEss aRE thingS Of THe pAST.
... from here:
shpalman wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:04 pm
Meanwhile here's some nonsense about how quantum is magic which will solve everyone's problems

https://thenextweb.com/news/optimists-g ... h-paradise

"But this isn’t a philosophy article."

Well it's certainly not a science article.
A better bit is just after that:
some moron wrote:To the outsider looking in, humans might seem to love few things more than destroying one another. Quantum computing could help us a lot in that endeavor – if we’re going to discover massively destructive technologies such as cold fusion or planet-smashing death rays, it’ll likely be through the use of quantum computers.

Yet, it could also make war obsolete. There’s hope for a far future where people with incompatible ideological differences can warp away from Earth and carve out their own domain on a planet far, far away.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:21 pm

jimbob wrote:
shpalman wrote:
quantum apocalypse!

... but I'm fairly sure I remember ranting around the time of this original grey goo b.llsh.t that bacteria were already a kind of that.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:38 pm

shpalman wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:21 pm
jimbob wrote:
shpalman wrote:
quantum apocalypse!

... but I'm fairly sure I remember ranting around the time of this original grey goo b.llsh.t that bacteria were already a kind of that.
Of that I, I have no doubt. I've been saying so for a similar length of time. Because it is obvious.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:59 am

In a historic milestone, Microsoft have written a press release about scalable topological qubits.

This formerly elusive press release has now been written, based on this underlying press release.

"This new press release allows us to distinguish a distinguished university professor of physics and a distinguished engineer of quantum in a youtube video" said a distinguished university professor of physics known for publishing papers claiming to see Majorana modes and then pretending he never said that when it turns out that the papers were based on manipulated data and anyway Majorana Zero Modes aren't important we're still be a leading theory center even though MZMs don't exist it was them who made fools of themselves not us even though we coauthored the papers why are you having a go at us with everything else which is going on in the world it's not like banging on about Majoranas is all we do.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:38 am

@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:35 am

shpalman wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:38 am
These data were made up.
Some guy sold me "Majorana" when I was 14.

I could've predicted all of this.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:34 am

Yes, we did the joke about "Majorana" sounding a bit like "marijuana". Is memory loss a side effect?

Meanwhile, scientists haven't made a wormhole.

"... the experiment was based on a modelling that was so simple that it could just as well have been studied using a pencil and paper"
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:35 pm

you can get things which people use to claim they see Majoranas when there obviously aren't actually Majoranas

Although the boss of the group which published this isn't happy about how Sergey Frolov @spinespresso is using it to give Charlie Marcus a kicking.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk