To what extent is psychic ability determined by genetics?

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
sTeamTraen
After Pie

To what extent is psychic ability determined by genetics?

Post by sTeamTraen » Sun May 02, 2021 7:51 pm

Apparently that is a real research question. :shock:
It is commonly believed that psychic ability, like many mental and physical traits, runs in families. This suggests the presence of a genetic component. If such a component were found, it would constitute a biological marker of psychic ability and inform environmental or pharmacologic means of enhancing or suppressing this ability.
The affiliations of the authors are, umm, "eclectic", but I have to give points to author #4 for being, as the saying goes, "unimproveably named".

Paper: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 0721000501
Something something hammer something something nail

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Re: To what extent is psychic ability determined by genetics?

Post by Sciolus » Sun May 02, 2021 8:26 pm

It's well documented that experiencing poltergeist activity is strongly associated with having a teenage daughter. Does that count?

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun May 02, 2021 8:27 pm

"madness is genetic: you get it from your kids"
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Sun May 02, 2021 10:13 pm

"The most conservative interpretation of these results is that they result from random population sampling". But who wants to be the "most conservative" eh? That sounds a bit close-minded, right?

Got to be something in it, surely. Stands to reason.

Pishwish
Clardic Fug

Post by Pishwish » Sun May 02, 2021 10:52 pm

Carl Bergstrom gives it what for. Thread

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon May 03, 2021 1:11 am

I suggest following up with this classic from the BMJ

https://www.bmj.com/content/335/7633/1299
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Chris Preston
Snowbonk

Post by Chris Preston » Mon May 03, 2021 1:52 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 1:11 am
I suggest following up with this classic from the BMJ

https://www.bmj.com/content/335/7633/1299
This is from the BMJ Christmas edition. Usually umm very different papers including quite a bit of satire.
sTeamTraen wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 7:51 pm
Apparently that is a real research question. :shock:
It is commonly believed that psychic ability, like many mental and physical traits, runs in families. This suggests the presence of a genetic component. If such a component were found, it would constitute a biological marker of psychic ability and inform environmental or pharmacologic means of enhancing or suppressing this ability.
The affiliations of the authors are, umm, "eclectic", but I have to give points to author #4 for being, as the saying goes, "unimproveably named".

Paper: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 0721000501
Michael Woodley has plenty of previous form including a claim that the human population in the west is becoming less intelligent since the Victorian Era. He has also dabbled in the race and intelligence arena. He has written several books with Aurelio J. Figueredo, who is known for advocating what amounts to scientific racism.
Here grows much rhubarb.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Mon May 03, 2021 7:31 am

The first author is from the Institute of Noetic Sciences in California. I had to look that up.
In philosophy, noetics is a branch of metaphysics concerned with the study of mind as well as intellect. There is also a reference to the science of noetics, which covers the field of thinking and knowing, thought and knowledge, as well as mental operations, processes, states, and products through the data of the written word
A friend of mine's great aunt was a spey-wife but sadly he has inherited none of her abilities. She did leave him the bell she used to summon the spirits though.

basementer
Dorkwood

Post by basementer » Mon May 03, 2021 8:08 am

Tessa K wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 7:31 am
The first author is from the Institute of Noetic Sciences in California. I had to look that up.
In philosophy, noetics is a branch of metaphysics concerned with the study of mind as well as intellect. There is also a reference to the science of noetics, which covers the field of thinking and knowing, thought and knowledge, as well as mental operations, processes, states, and products through the data of the written word
A friend of mine's great aunt was a spey-wife but sadly he has inherited none of her abilities. She did leave him the bell she used to summon the spirits though.
Noetic from noos, nous = mind? Translating "Institute of deliberately esoteric word Sciences" to "Bunch of w.nkers" is probably accurate here.
Money is just a substitute for luck anyway. - Tom Siddell

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Mon May 03, 2021 9:53 am

basementer wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:08 am
Tessa K wrote:
Noetic from noos, nous = mind? Translating "Institute of deliberately esoteric word Sciences" to "Bunch of w.nkers" is probably accurate here.
Yes, that's the etymology. Someone pointed out on Twitter that she is also a naturopathic 'doctor'.

Institute of I Can't Believe You Can Get Funding For This Shite.

Chris Preston
Snowbonk

Post by Chris Preston » Mon May 03, 2021 10:03 am

Tessa K wrote:
A pseudoscience, sorry parapsychology science, institute.

I was bemused by their staff list https://noetic.org/about/staff/

An Institute with hardly any scientists, but lots of auxiliary staff including an Executive Kitchen Manager. This is not a job position description I have not come across before.
Here grows much rhubarb.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Mon May 03, 2021 11:31 am

Chris Preston wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:03 am
Tessa K wrote:
A pseudoscience, sorry parapsychology science, institute.

I was bemused by their staff list https://noetic.org/about/staff/

An Institute with hardly any scientists, but lots of auxiliary staff including an Executive Kitchen Manager. This is not a job position description I have not come across before.
She's the Head Dinner Lady.

It does say The People Behind The Magic on the staff listing page. A bit like the Hogwarts staff list maybe...

basementer
Dorkwood

Post by basementer » Mon May 03, 2021 3:57 pm

I'm thinking something along the lines of, you don't usually get that many knobs on a magic staff.
Money is just a substitute for luck anyway. - Tom Siddell

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon May 03, 2021 9:50 pm

basementer wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 3:57 pm
I'm thinking something along the lines of, you don't usually get that many knobs on a magic staff.
Well played :lol:
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Tue May 04, 2021 11:02 am

basementer wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 3:57 pm
I salute you.