The risks of 'alternative' medicine

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
Tessa K
Light of Blast

The risks of 'alternative' medicine

Post by Tessa K » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:05 pm

Good piece on the real and serious risks of various kinds of 'alternative' medicine and treatments. (Some of you may have seen this already)

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-ri ... gSVeAdbBno

Little waster
After Pie

Re: The risks of 'alternative' medicine

Post by Little waster » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:46 am

As one would expect with a group that includes a naturopath, a chiropractor, and an array of health professionals, arriving at consensus on harms and risks of CAM was described as “challenging” as the group was noted to have “diverse opinions”.
This presumably resembled the Python “Dead Parrot” Sketch.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:01 pm

Cue "Dead Patient" sketch
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:52 am

I'm thinking about this

https://youtu.be/Cg2CQqMaU1I
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Al Capone Junior
Clardic Fug

Post by Al Capone Junior » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:23 pm

The risks of altmed and its modes of thinking seem to have dramatically infested society (at least here in tx), increasing noticeably within the last year or so. Antivax sentiment is rampant, as is use of supplements, belief in quackery of various forms, and general anti-science and anti-establishment attitudes.

While this is anecdotal in my own noticing these trends within my own interaction with ppl, I believe there is plenty of evidence to support this notion.

In Tx, where repugnicans are plentiful, these quackeries are the bedrock of their political platform. Nationwide, the far right seems to be embracing one new quackery after another, denying realities more and more.

We the people* who attempt to stick to truth, fact, and reason, are becoming less common and more beseiged by anti-science forces.

Since I am not very goood at dealing with ppl, I feel increasingly frustrated and isolated as a result.

*not that we are at all close to perfect, but we try to steadily improve our understanding and align our beliefs with new and better evidence as it becomes available