Wet / topographical Mercury

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Wet / topographical Mercury

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:22 am

https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautifu ... this_is_a/

Looks super unlike any map of earth I've ever seen. I guess the role of tectonics is pretty key for creating earth-like continents?

It always amazes me that tectonics was still controversial within my mum's lifetime. By the time I did geography at school it was just a fact, with no mention that the boffins had only figured it out a few decades ago.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

basementer
Dorkwood

Re: Wet / topographical Mercury

Post by basementer » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:38 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:22 am
It always amazes me that tectonics was still controversial within my mum's lifetime. By the time I did geography at school it was just a fact, with no mention that the boffins had only figured it out a few decades ago.
My 1963(ish) Britannica mentions it as a theory, and says something about it being diffcult to suggest a plausible source of energy for something of that scale. The author of that article hadn't realised there were huge quantities of fissile elements quietly fissing away down there.
Money is just a substitute for luck anyway. - Tom Siddell

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:39 am

basementer wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:38 am
Bird on a Fire wrote:
My 1963(ish) Britannica mentions it as a theory, and says something about it being diffcult to suggest a plausible source of energy for something of that scale. The author of that article hadn't realised there were huge quantities of fissile elements quietly fissing away down there.
We need rockdoctor or someone, but I thought most of the heat was primordial?
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:27 am

There are three main sources of heat in the deep earth: (1) heat from when the planet formed and accreted, which has not yet been lost; (2) frictional heating, caused by denser core material sinking to the center of the planet; and (3) heat from the decay of radioactive elements.
From here:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... s-core-so/
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:29 am

Kelvin's calculation of the age of the earth gave too short a time by a few orders of magnitude because he didn't account for heat from radioactive decay.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:57 am

shpalman wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:29 am
Kelvin's calculation of the age of the earth gave too short a time by a few orders of magnitude because he didn't account for heat from radioactive decay.
According to Steve Novella at SGU the main factor was actually that he didn’t account for the fact that the earth is cooling mainly by convection rather than conduction. The story about radioactive decay is commonly repeated but doesn’t stand up. Now I haven’t got the data and methods to double check this, but it sounds plausible.

First segment in this show: https://www.theskepticsguide.org/podcasts/episode-825

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:38 pm

Grumble wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:57 am
shpalman wrote:
According to Steve Novella at SGU the main factor was actually that he didn’t account for the fact that the earth is cooling mainly by convection rather than conduction. The story about radioactive decay is commonly repeated but doesn’t stand up. Now I haven’t got the data and methods to double check this, but it sounds plausible.

First segment in this show: https://www.theskepticsguide.org/podcasts/episode-825
I would assume that convection is faster within a fluid than conduction would be.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:40 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautifu ... this_is_a/

Looks super unlike any map of earth I've ever seen. I guess the role of tectonics is pretty key for creating earth-like continents?

Yes, Dad told me that he saw it in the first copy of New Scientist as an interesting theory

nezumi
Dorkwood

Post by nezumi » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:49 pm

Speaking of, what the heck happened to rockdoctor? He needs to come back sharpish.
Non fui. Fui. Non sum. Non curo.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:20 pm

jimbob wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:38 pm
Grumble wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:57 am
shpalman wrote:

I would assume that convection is faster within a fluid than conduction would be.
Depends on the fluid, surely?

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:38 pm

I'd never appreciated that Kelvin's calculation was based on the temperature gradient at the surface, I'd assumed it was a calculation of heat loss (and convection would accelerate that).
kevin-and-perry.jpg
kevin-and-perry.jpg (223.34 KiB) Viewed 2334 times
Kelvin and Perry, earlier.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:43 pm

shpalman wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:38 pm
I'd never appreciated that Kelvin's calculation was based on the temperature gradient at the surface, I'd assumed it was a calculation of heat loss (and convection would accelerate that).

kevin-and-perry.jpg

I hadn't thought of it until now, but pretty much that.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:49 pm

jimbob wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:43 pm
shpalman wrote:

kevin-and-perry.jpg

Convection would accelerate it - which only shows how slow it is.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:04 pm

Grumble wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:49 pm
jimbob wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:43 pm
shpalman wrote:

kevin-and-perry.jpg

Convection would accelerate it - which only shows how slow it is.
Exactly, so it would give a younger age for the Earth, wouldn't it?

rockdoctor
Clardic Fug

Post by rockdoctor » Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:39 pm

nezumi wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:49 pm
Speaking of, what the heck happened to rockdoctor? He needs to come back sharpish.
I'm always here. Watching

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:43 pm

rockdoctor wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:39 pm
nezumi wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:49 pm
I'm always here. Watching
Gneiss
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Trinucleus
Catbabel

Post by Trinucleus » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:30 pm

basementer wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:38 am
Bird on a Fire wrote:
I did geology at uni in 1973 when it had been pretty much proved by Dan Mackenzie, who was one of the academics there. Prior to that it was considered interesting that Africa and south America fitted together, but when they started looking at the topography of the ocean beds, and particularly saw that the magnetic field orientations in the rocks where completely symmetrical leading away from the central ridge, that pretty much nailed it

Allo V Psycho
Catbabel

Post by Allo V Psycho » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:10 pm

shpalman wrote:

kevin-and-perry.jpg

Little known fact: William Thompson named the units of absolute temperature after the River Kelvin flowing past Glasgow University, because it is absolutely freezin'.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler: