Removing silver halide deposits

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
Post Reply
User avatar
sTeamTraen
After Pie
Posts: 1976
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:24 pm
Location: Palma de Mallorca, Spain

Removing silver halide deposits

Post by sTeamTraen » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:32 pm

From a friend who works on a large, posh boat:
The boat has silver ion addition to its fresh water. Sometimes shore water containing chlorides is bunkered. These two react with sunlight to form silver halides which cause discolouration of the jacuzzi. This is a bugger to get off. What's the best easy to get chemical to get rid of it?
Ideas?
Something something hammer something something nail

WFJ
Stargoon
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:54 am

Re: Removing silver halide deposits

Post by WFJ » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:00 pm

Sodium or ammonium thiosulfate? It's what photographic fixer uses to remove remaining silver halide from film after development.

User avatar
bolo
Catbabel
Posts: 816
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:17 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: Removing silver halide deposits

Post by bolo » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:33 pm

This is a chapter on cleaning silver from a manual about marine archeology. So admittedly a somewhat different context. But I notice that the section on chemical cleaning says:

- "A solution of 15 percent ammonium thiosulfate in distilled water with a 1 percent non-ionic wetting agent ... is effective for removing silver chloride"
- and perhaps more straightforwardly, "ammonia dissolves silver chloride"

IANA chemist.

User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Light of Blast
Posts: 6399
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: Iceland

Re: Removing silver halide deposits

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:18 pm

A revolution of the proletariat would sort that little problem right out.

Mind you, that's my solution to everything.
He has the grace of a swan, the wisdom of an owl, and the eye of an eagle—ladies and gentlemen, this man is for the birds!

User avatar
Gfamily
Stummy Beige
Posts: 2747
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:00 pm
Location: NW England

Re: Removing silver halide deposits

Post by Gfamily » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:35 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:18 pm
A revolution of the proletariat would sort that little problem right out.

Mind you, that's my solution to everything.
another semi thiological fix
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

User avatar
sTeamTraen
After Pie
Posts: 1976
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:24 pm
Location: Palma de Mallorca, Spain

Re: Removing silver halide deposits

Post by sTeamTraen » Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:35 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:18 pm
A revolution of the proletariat would sort that little problem right out.

Mind you, that's my solution to everything.
One of the unspoken rules of the expat community here in Majawkah is that you don't speak ill of the rich, even if you don't work on the yachts or in high-end tourism. Plenty of people live hand-to-mouth, but the whole place runs on the basis that some people have more money than others to a greater or lesser extent. Many of the yachties are fun people who accept that serving canapés to internally dead rich people is the cost of having an interesting semi-nomadic lifestyle that beats working in an office.
Something something hammer something something nail

User avatar
Grumble
After Pie
Posts: 2279
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Re: Removing silver halide deposits

Post by Grumble » Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:09 am

bolo wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:33 pm
This is a chapter on cleaning silver from a manual about marine archeology. So admittedly a somewhat different context. But I notice that the section on chemical cleaning says:

- "A solution of 15 percent ammonium thiosulfate in distilled water with a 1 percent non-ionic wetting agent ... is effective for removing silver chloride"
- and perhaps more straightforwardly, "ammonia dissolves silver chloride"

IANA chemist.
You can’t just buy ammonia these days, at least not in the U.K. and I assume in the EU too.
You’ve got no chutzpah, your organisational skills are lacklustre and your timekeeping is abysmal.

KAJ
Clardic Fug
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: UK

Re: Removing silver halide deposits

Post by KAJ » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:52 pm

Grumble wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:09 am
bolo wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:33 pm
This is a chapter on cleaning silver from a manual about marine archeology. So admittedly a somewhat different context. But I notice that the section on chemical cleaning says:

- "A solution of 15 percent ammonium thiosulfate in distilled water with a 1 percent non-ionic wetting agent ... is effective for removing silver chloride"
- and perhaps more straightforwardly, "ammonia dissolves silver chloride"

IANA chemist.
You can’t just buy ammonia these days, at least not in the U.K. and I assume in the EU too.
Google shopping search for "cleaning ammonia"
The thiosulphate is probably less objectionable and dangerous than aqueous ammonia, Google shopping search for that.

User avatar
Martin Y
After Pie
Posts: 2097
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:08 pm

Re: Removing silver halide deposits

Post by Martin Y » Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:19 pm

Photographic fixer is a little hipster-niche these days but still fairly easy to get. It's not ammonia smelling, IMO it's more like extra-strong salt and vinegar. Now I'm curious to know what that odour is.

WFJ
Stargoon
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:54 am

Re: Removing silver halide deposits

Post by WFJ » Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:54 pm

Martin Y wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:19 pm
Photographic fixer is a little hipster-niche these days but still fairly easy to get. It's not ammonia smelling, IMO it's more like extra-strong salt and vinegar. Now I'm curious to know what that odour is.
It depends on the brand of fixer, but some do have quite a strong ammonia smell. Some others don't when fresh, but do when old.

Are you thinking of stop bath with the vinegar smell?

User avatar
Boustrophedon
After Pie
Posts: 2134
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:58 pm
Location: Lincolnshire Wolds

Re: Removing silver halide deposits

Post by Boustrophedon » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:08 pm

Dad had a little bottle of silver nitrate for medicinal purposes, if he needed to remove the silver stains on his skin he used plain sodium thiosulphate.
Remember it's only a coup if it's from the coup d'état region of France, otherwise it just sparkling white terrorism.

User avatar
Martin Y
After Pie
Posts: 2097
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:08 pm

Re: Removing silver halide deposits

Post by Martin Y » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:13 pm

WFJ wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:54 pm
Martin Y wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:19 pm
Photographic fixer is a little hipster-niche these days but still fairly easy to get. It's not ammonia smelling, IMO it's more like extra-strong salt and vinegar. Now I'm curious to know what that odour is.
It depends on the brand of fixer, but some do have quite a strong ammonia smell. Some others don't when fresh, but do when old.

Are you thinking of stop bath with the vinegar smell?
No, I generally used Ilford Hypam fixer, and it used to put me in mind of salt and vinegar crisps (while not actually smelling of vinegar, oddly).

User avatar
shpalman
Light of Blast
Posts: 4946
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: Removing silver halide deposits

Post by shpalman » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:25 pm

Might be sodium acetate being used as an acidity buffer?
molto tricky

User avatar
Martin Y
After Pie
Posts: 2097
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:08 pm

Re: Removing silver halide deposits

Post by Martin Y » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:56 pm

shpalman wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:25 pm
Might be sodium acetate being used as an acidity buffer?
I should just have Googled the MSDS: the "Rapid" version is <2% acetic acid.

User avatar
tenchboy
Catbabel
Posts: 923
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:18 pm
Location: Down amongst the potamogeton.

Re: Removing silver halide deposits

Post by tenchboy » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:48 pm

Martin Y wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:56 pm
shpalman wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:25 pm
Might be sodium acetate being used as an acidity buffer?
I should just have Googled the MSDS: the "Rapid" version is <2% acetic acid.
Just had a look at a bottle of Hypam sitting on the dark-room shelf in the bathroom but nothing to add I'm afraid.
"I love the smell of fixer in the morning"

Post Reply