Superconductivity fight

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
shpalman
Princess POW

Re: Superconductivity fight

Post by shpalman » Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:29 am

Taj Quantum Awarded Patent for Groundbreaking Type II Superconductor

b.llsh.t blockchain company now has superconductivity b.llsh.t.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

bob sterman
Dorkwood

Post by bob sterman » Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:09 am

shpalman wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:29 am

Of course - it was inevitable that a bloke with an MBA and PhD in Executive Management and Global Leadership would crack this room temperature superconductivity thing rather than a physicist.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:17 am

bob sterman wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:09 am
shpalman wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:29 am

Of course - it was inevitable that a bloke with an MBA and PhD in Executive Management and Global Leadership would crack this room temperature superconductivity thing rather than a physicist.
It is made using a material made of perforated carbonaceous material — small holes — that has another special substance — referred to as an activating material — applied on its surface.

Not just blockchain and superconductivity b.llsh.t but graphene b.llsh.t too.

the patent
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:29 am

@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:20 am

Plus an independent calculation at the bottom of this tweet (shpallers link is the LBNL paper), which is mostly discussing a video purporting to show replication of the levitation.

https://twitter.com/Andercot/status/168 ... slElA&s=19

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:26 am

If the superconducting band gap is really of order 0.025 to 0.1 eV, then this means that the kind of heterodyne mixers that I work on would work up to 25 THz or so, rather than 1 THz.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:03 pm

@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

science_fox
Snowbonk

Post by science_fox » Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:08 am

https://twitter.com/MichaelSFuhrer/stat ... 7885944833 seemed useful.... more Wait and See.
I'm not afraid of catching Covid, I'm afraid of catching idiot.

nekomatic
Dorkwood

Post by nekomatic » Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:32 pm

shpalman wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:17 am
the patent
Wow, I confidently expected to be able to post a smartarse ‘aha, remember a patent application is only an application’ but it turns out this one is actually granted. I look forward to the enormous benefit to society that will surely follow.

In looking this up, I encountered this other patent which looks a lot more useful to me.
Move-a… side, and let the mango through… let the mango through

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:21 pm

nekomatic wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:32 pm
shpalman wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:17 am
the patent
Wow, I confidently expected to be able to post a smartarse ‘aha, remember a patent application is only an application’ but it turns out this one is actually granted. I look forward to the enormous benefit to society that will surely follow.
Things in patents don't have to work to be granted.

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:24 pm

monkey wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:21 pm
Things in patents don't have to work to be granted.
Arguably it is harmless if something that doesn't work gets a patent, as it is hardly preventing anyone doing anything that can be done. Though in practice, the fact that you have a patent for some piece of nonsense can be used as advertising to try and scam money out of investors.

In Britain, inventions are supposed to have an industrial application for the patent to be granted. It is established practice that "doesn't work" means it doesn't have an industrial application, and so is sufficient grounds to turn it down. If there is doubt, you might be asked to produce a working prototype. Patents for perpetual motion machines are routinely denied, if it can be clearly seen that is what is being applied for. But applicants don't often admit to it, and indeed would generally deny it, and on occasion do so sufficiently that the objection is not sustained, or no one notices.

This article points out that European patents are less strict on the "doesn't work" criterion. So there are other venues where you might more easily get a patent for your perpetual motion machine, or other non-working device.
Article: Patents for perpetual motion machines, C Wadlow 2007, J IP Law & Practice

A friend of mine used to work as a patent agent. One of the most common "inventions" he would see patent applications for, several times a year, was bent or curved cranks for bicycles. After all, you never see bicycles with curved cranks, so it can't have been invented yet. He had a standard reply sheet ready prepared to send to the applicant. This pointed out that a straight line can always be found between any two points, so a curved or bent crank could always be replaced by one which ran in a straight line between the pedal location and the crank axle, without changing the pedal location. So the reason it is never seen is that there is no point to it. And in fact a patent had already been granted for it, long expired, back in the 19th century.

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:37 pm

IvanV wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:24 pm
A friend of mine used to work as a patent agent. One of the most common "inventions" he would see patent applications for, several times a year, was bent or curved cranks for bicycles. After all, you never see bicycles with curved cranks, so it can't have been invented yet. He had a standard reply sheet ready prepared to send to the applicant. This pointed out that a straight line can always be found between any two points, so a curved or bent crank could always be replaced by one which ran in a straight line between the pedal location and the crank axle, without changing the pedal location. So the reason it is never seen is that there is no point to it. And in fact a patent had already been granted for it, long expired, back in the 19th century.
I assume that they have heard of non-circular chainrings such as Biopace, and think that a curved crank is somehow the same. (I may be giving them too much credit.)

science_fox
Snowbonk

Post by science_fox » Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:00 pm

https://twitter.com/Andercot/status/1687471084659265536

looking good?! for 1D superconductivity of granules within a lump. But the rest is just engineering.
I'm not afraid of catching Covid, I'm afraid of catching idiot.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:31 pm

science_fox wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:00 pm

looking good?! for 1D superconductivity of granules within a lump. But the rest is just engineering.
I don’t properly understand how we can distinguish between ordinary diamagnetism and full exclusion of magnetic fields.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:51 pm

Grumble wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:31 pm
science_fox wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:00 pm

I don’t properly understand how we can distinguish between ordinary diamagnetism and full exclusion of magnetic fields.
Once you get bigger samples, you can measure the screening levels. You can also do things like see quantized flux pinning in 2d films of Type II superconductors.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:25 pm

Full levitation, including suggestions of flux pinning.

https://twitter.com/DJSnM/status/168784 ... rnuvQ&s=19

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:02 am

where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:46 am

@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:18 am

Grumble wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:02 am
The dream appears to be over
https://twitter.com/condensed_the/statu ... 14464?s=20
He's not so keen on listening to the data in the Majorana thread. There he just keeps telling the experimentalists to make better material.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:46 am

I'm not sure whether it's over or not. Claims that the material is ferromagnetic largely contradict the full levitation and flux pinning video. We need a lot of replication attempts either way.

It has been reported that the synthesis is harder than it appears, with the claimed superconducting state being higher energy than another possible output. And the purity and size of these early samples is always a question.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:55 am

That may be an answer, but it's in a different material though - there's Cu2S added.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:16 am

@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:44 am

... impurities in the material — in particular, copper sulfide — were responsible for the sharp drops in electrical resistivity and partial levitation over a magnet
Separated from impurities, LK-99 is not a superconductor, but an insulator with a resistance in the millions of ohms — too high to run a standard conductivity test. It shows minor ferromagnetism and diamagnetism, but not enough for even partial levitation. “We therefore rule out the presence of superconductivity,” the team concluded.

The team suggests that the hints of superconductivity seen in LK-99 were attributable to Cu2S impurities, which are absent from their crystal.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:00 am

jaap wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:07 pm
Meanwhile, a second paper by Dias retracted.
Nature news investigates Nature the journal
(Nature’s news and journal teams are editorially independent.)
After Nature published the LuH paper in March 2023, many scientists were critical of the journal’s decision, given the rumours of misconduct surrounding the retracted CSH paper. They wanted to know on what basis Nature had decided to accept it. (In the case of both papers, neither the peer-review reports nor the referees’ identities were revealed.) Nature’s news team obtained those reviews and can, for the first time, reveal what happened during the review process for the LuH paper...
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:36 am

Pb-Cu-P-S-O again? I thought we dealt with that sh.t already.

Some videos are linked at https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2024/04/n ... earch.html
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk