UV and cateracts

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
JQH
After Pie

UV and cateracts

Post by JQH » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:13 pm

I had my eyes tested last week (long overdue). Optician said my lenses are starting to become cloudy (early stage of cataracts) and I should wear sunglasses while out to protect them from UV, which speeds the process up.

Thinking about it afterwards, while dark glasses might reduce the incidence of UV on my eyeballs won't they also cause my pupils to enlarge and thus increase the amount ov UV hitting the lenses? Is there actually a net beneficial effect?
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

Hunting Dog
Fuzzable

Re: UV and cateracts

Post by Hunting Dog » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:25 pm

No idea if it's correct or not, but my optician said the same thing and sold me reactorlite lenses...

GeenDienst
Dorkwood

Post by GeenDienst » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:57 pm

depends on the sunglasses. Good ones will effectively knock out the bad rayz and protect your eyes. sh.t ones just make you look even more cool, were that even possible.

Easy blog read here:

How to Tell If Your Sunglasses Are Really Protecting Your Eyes

https://healthcare.utah.edu/healthfeed/ ... rotect.php
Just tell 'em I'm broke and don't come round here no more.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:01 pm

Useful. Ta.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

GeenDienst
Dorkwood

Post by GeenDienst » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:39 pm

And it's "cataracts".

Maybe you need a keyboard with bigger letters...
Just tell 'em I'm broke and don't come round here no more.

Trinucleus
Dorkwood

Post by Trinucleus » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:24 pm

When I had cataracts, bright sunlight was uncomfortable so reactolites were handy anyway

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:36 pm

GeenDienst wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:57 pm
depends on the sunglasses. Good ones will effectively knock out the bad rayz and protect your eyes. sh.t ones just make you look even more cool, were that even possible.
The other part is that your pupils will react to the visible light levels. Good sunglasses cut down on the UV by a much larger amount than the visible light.

Macular degeneration history in my family means i have the same recommendation. My contacts are UV blocking, but not tinted (so I wear them with good sunglasses as well), and I now have good prescription sunglasses.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:58 pm

GeenDienst wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:39 pm
And it's "cataracts".

Maybe you need a keyboard with bigger letters...
could you write that a bit bigger please?

Fintan O'Toole

Pucksoppet
Snowbonk

Post by Pucksoppet » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:26 am

If you already habitually wear spectacles, then they will likely be cutting down the UV already, and it is also possible to get a UV filter coating applied when the lenses are manufactured (it may even be standard practice). IIRC, the polycarbonate used to make plastic lenses also cuts down the UV considerably.

With a bit of luck, somebody else on this forum might be able to give more detailed background.

Gawdzilla Sama
Clardic Fug

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:26 pm

I was going blind in 2015, there was an orange tinge over my vision. VA doctors told me it was cataracts. They've since replaced both lenses and I see fine. Almost no pain and what there was I handled with lidocaine around the eye socket. I would have been blind today without that work.