It's more about 4-packs around here.

shpalman
Princess POW

Re: Obesogens

Post by shpalman » Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:12 pm

shpalman wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 6:45 am
works though
The report concluded that administering semaglutide once a week gave “historically unprecedented” results, and brought about “clinically meaningful improvements”.

“These results underscore the high degree of clinical effectiveness of semaglutide in adolescents with obesity.”
Reducing BMI below the obesity threshold in adolescents treated with once-weekly subcutaneous semaglutide 2.4 mg
Semaglutide was highly effective in reducing BMI category. While on treatment, most trial participants' BMI improved by at least one category, and >40% reached a category below the obesity threshold.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:07 am

The weight-loss jab Wegovy can reduce the risk of major cardiovascular events by 20% in people who are overweight or obese.
The results of the study were shared in a press release by Novo Nordisk rather than in a peer-reviewed research paper, meaning detail was limited – including to what extent the findings could be down to the direct effects of Wegovy, or indirect effects as a result of weight loss.
Still, it's good that the weight loss drug has a benefit concerning the poor health outcomes of being overweight and obese, rather than only reducing weight.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:42 pm

shpalman wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:07 am
The weight-loss jab Wegovy can reduce the risk of major cardiovascular events by 20% in people who are overweight or obese.
The results of the study were shared in a press release by Novo Nordisk rather than in a peer-reviewed research paper, meaning detail was limited – including to what extent the findings could be down to the direct effects of Wegovy, or indirect effects as a result of weight loss.
Still, it's good that the weight loss drug has a benefit concerning the poor health outcomes of being overweight and obese, rather than only reducing weight.
I listened to an Inside Health pod about this (BBC). It only works as long as the person keeps having it otherwise the weight comes back in almost everyone. The longterm effects are not yet known and it's expensive. It would be good eg for someone who needs to lose weight for surgery

RoMo
Buzzberry

Post by RoMo » Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:34 am

Tessa K wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:42 pm

I listened to an Inside Health pod about this (BBC). It only works as long as the person keeps having it otherwise the weight comes back in almost everyone. The longterm effects are not yet known and it's expensive. It would be good eg for someone who needs to lose weight for surgery
Interesting article from Yoni Freedhoff here about semaglutide. Point 1 is that yes, if you stop taking it the weight will return, that's how treatment for chronic conditions work and no-one seems to mind for anything other than weight.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:53 am

RoMo wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:34 am
Tessa K wrote:

Interesting article from Yoni Freedhoff here about semaglutide. Point 1 is that yes, if you stop taking it the weight will return, that's how treatment for chronic conditions work and no-one seems to mind for anything other than weight.
Partly because there's a moral judgment about obesity. Why should tax payer money be spent on something you should do for yourself?

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:18 am

RoMo wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:34 am
Tessa K wrote:

[Anecdata] I was taking semaglutide and it led to me gaining weight. The side-effects of chronic indigestion (and low-grade diarrhea) led to a reduction in exercise and an increase in food uptake to combat the acid reflux. I've come off it and have started losing weight again! [/Anecdata]
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:25 pm

There's some more anecdata at https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... y-ozempic/

But we do know what the long-term effects of obesity and/or type II diabetes are.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:52 am

@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:27 am

@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:47 am

@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:51 am

Food which makes you eat more https://elifesciences.org/articles/82446

I found this via a local news website which managed to link directly to the paper, unlike the self-important both-sides morons at places like the BBC or the Guardian.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:48 am

shpalman wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:51 am

I found this via a local news website which managed to link directly to the paper, unlike the self-important both-sides morons at places like the BBC or the Guardian.
Can you give some examples of foods for non science people? The abstract mentioned baking but is that all?

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:18 am

Tessa K wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:48 am
shpalman wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:51 am

Can you give some examples of foods for non science people? The abstract mentioned baking but is that all?
This article refers to AGEs resulting from the Maillard reaction, which is the browning reaction that occurs in certain kinds of cooking. Whether its frying, baking, roasting, whether of pastry products, meat, potatoes, onions, veg, if it browned in cooking, that was the Maillard reaction, We all know that browning in cooking makes food tasty. It's why so many of us love barbecues, chips, the crust on bread, things with browned cheesy toppings, things cooked in breadcrumbs, etc.

This article makes the unsurprising connection that eating such tasty food encourages us to eat more than eating bland food. That tastes very nice, I'll have another one please.

On the more general point of whether AGEs are good for you or bad for you, which all Mail-readers will wish to know, they can be put in both columns, as the wiki-article on AGEs points out. AGEs are everywhere in our food, and made in our body by all cells. Although browning reactions when cooking food that contains animal products are a particularly rich source of AGEs, vegetarians have a higher concentration of them in their body than non-vegetarians. Interestingly, higher molecular weight AGEs are not metabolised by the body, so are a kind of "empty calories", like soluble fibre, etc.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:25 pm

Nature reviews gastroenterology & hepatology heralds A new era in obesity management but it's paywalled.

https://doi.org/10.1038/s41575-023-00887-9
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk