Portable desalination unit

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
sTeamTraen
After Pie

Portable desalination unit

Post by sTeamTraen » Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:20 pm

This looks interesting. But I wonder how efficient it is.

The claim is that water can be produced for 20Wh/l, which is 72kJ/l. This page states that the theoretical energy input needed is 3kJ/l, and that "present day desalination plants use 5 to 26 times as much as this theoretical minimum depending on the type of process used". So this suitcase-sized unit seems to work at the lower end of the current efficiency of bigger plants.

But I suppose it's useful for one or two individuals, if you have a solar panel and no other access to water.
Something something hammer something something nail

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Re: Portable desalination unit

Post by Gfamily » Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:52 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:20 pm
This looks interesting. But I wonder how efficient it is.

The claim is that water can be produced for 20Wh/l, which is 72kJ/l. This page states that the theoretical energy input needed is 3kJ/l, and that "present day desalination plants use 5 to 26 times as much as this theoretical minimum depending on the type of process used". So this suitcase-sized unit seems to work at the lower end of the current efficiency of bigger plants.

But I suppose it's useful for one or two individuals, if you have a solar panel and no other access to water.
Desalination at any major scale is potentially problematic, as the non drinkable discharge is more concentrated brine that can be harmful to the local environment, particularly if its higher density means that it smothers the local seabed, which it is likely to do if simply returned to the sea by a pipe.

But yes, I could see it has potential, for example, if lifeboats were fitted with a solar panel and one of those
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige

Post by Boustrophedon » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:06 pm

There have been portable desalination units for decades running on reverse osmosis. Is this really better? I seems it's complicated and requires electric power.

If you have plenty of sunshine there are solar stills that work well including ad hoc hole on the ground and plastic sheet types.
Hjulet snurrar men hamstern är död.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:22 pm

Boustrophedon wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:06 pm
There have been portable desalination units for decades running on reverse osmosis. Is this really better? I seems it's complicated and requires electric power.

If you have plenty of sunshine there are solar stills that work well including ad hoc hole on the ground and plastic sheet types.
There’s a project somewhere on the Arabian peninsula running seawater through greenhouses so that evaporation produces water for the plants.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:04 pm

It would be pretty useful for remote fieldwork as well, instead of having to fit 3 months of bottled water in a canoe or whatever. Probably medical facilities and other stuff too
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

bob sterman
Dorkwood

Post by bob sterman » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:00 am

I guess if you're stuck in the middle of nowhere with little to drink - but you have one of these, then . . . urine luck! :D

(I'll get my coat)