Water companies still use dowsing rods to 'detect' leaks

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
Fishnut
After Pie

Water companies still use dowsing rods to 'detect' leaks

Post by Fishnut » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:03 am

Two water companies admit to still using dowsing rods to detect leaks in their pipes. This is down from 10 companies who admitted to using them in 2017. Both companies say they aren't 'standard issue' but acknowledge that some of their engineers still use them.

Thames Water says,
We don’t provide dowsing rods as standard issue, however some engineers may choose to use their own to help to narrow down results from other leak detecting equipment in particularly rural areas.
Severn Trent said,
that while some of its engineers might have dowsing rods with them, it is not company policy to use them... A spokesperson for Severn Trent said: “We do not consider dowsing rods to be an effective way of finding leaks and as such we don’t issue them to engineers."
it's okay to say "I don't know"

Chris Preston
Snowbonk

Re: Water companies still use dowsing rods to 'detect' leaks

Post by Chris Preston » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:15 am

After all it is 2023. Sometimes I forget and think I am living in 1614.
Here grows much rhubarb.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:16 pm

In 1614 they would probably have burnt the dowsers as witches.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:18 pm

JQH wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:16 pm
In 1614 they would probably have burnt the dowsers as witches.
It's pretty good incentive to find water though
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:20 pm

Wouldn't finding water be proof of guilt?
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:42 pm

I sometimes wonder if there is a confusion over the use of listening sticks, a widely used simple device to help you hear the rushing sound of water escaping from a crack in a pipe. It works like the old-fashion glass beaker against a wall or door to hear what people are saying in the next room, which does work very well if you try it. Though sound gets transferred and you can't reliably say, it seems loudest here, this is where to dig. Leak location is difficult. Even when it is spurting out of a crack in the paving, the actual leak may be surprisingly far away.

In the road I live in, well beyond the houses, they once dug a series of about 30 holes at about 5m intervals to try and find a gas leak. I could smell the gas in still conditions, when cycling down the road, and reported it. You can imagine someone using dowsing as an alternate form of coin-tossing to decide where to dig first.

The Catholic church did explicitly ban dowsing in mediaeval times on grounds of occultism. When protestant churches came into existence, they also applied that ban. So it could get you into trouble over dowsing for an extended period of time, not just during the witch hunt hysteria/purge.

Dowsing was often to find metal ores, and other things, rather than just water as we tend to associate it today. Ironically, at one point it was used for a time in France to detect witches and other guilty miscreants, and that had to get banned too.