Tim Spector?

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige

Tim Spector?

Post by Boustrophedon » Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:33 pm

Been introduced to Tim Spector by a relative, Mr Spector seems to have a diet, with books to sell, TV appearances and a podcast. I have not come across him before.
Is Mr Spector just another phoney nutritionist with a diet and glib glossy paperbacks to sell? Or is he the real deal; a bona fide scientist with evidence backed advice, with glossy paperbacks to sell?
Perit hic laetatio.

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Re: Tim Spector?

Post by IvanV » Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:56 pm

This is the ZOE diet that is advertised everywhere just now. Includes some pin prick blood test from which an oracle will tell you what to eat.

As far as I can see, Mr Spector seems to have followed a similar career path to Michael Mosley. He started off being a a respectable epidemiologist. He wrote some fairly sensible stuff about eating, including a 2015 book called The Diet Myth, which seems to say the usual stuff - lots of what you read is bollocks, and the sensible thing to do is eat a varied high-fibre diet with lots of fresh fruit and veg.

He has written about the folly of fad diets.

But now he's promoting a diet. For all I know maybe what the Zoe thing does is support you to have a varied high fibre diet, because maybe some people need to be told what to eat or they'll fall back to gorging themselves on ultra-processed convenience food.

Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige

Post by Boustrophedon » Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:06 am

Thanks, that's very helpful.
Perit hic laetatio.

bob sterman
Dorkwood

Post by bob sterman » Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:24 am

Tim Spector - "making people feel weird about food" for £299 (then £24.99 for 12 months)...

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/zoe-nutrition-apps

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:31 am

bob sterman wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:24 am
Tim Spector - "making people feel weird about food" for £299 (then £24.99 for 12 months)...

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/zoe-nutrition-apps
Always good to see medical devices being used for non-medical purposes.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Mon May 13, 2024 9:26 pm

Now getting criticised for 'advice' not to use factor 50 Sunblock all year round
https://www.theguardian.com/society/art ... -sunscreen

Proposition is that Vitamin D may be protective against cancer (in mice) and that factor 50 may reduce vitamin D production.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

bob sterman
Dorkwood

Post by bob sterman » Tue May 14, 2024 5:04 am

I see Spector has history for campaigning against the sinister forces of big sun cream manufacturers.

Maybe he's worried the cream will interfere with continuous glucose monitors attached to the skin?