Antiviral drug makes covid evolve faster

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
shpalman
Princess POW

Antiviral drug makes covid evolve faster

Post by shpalman » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:50 pm

having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

science_fox
Snowbonk

Re: Antiviral drug makes covid evolve faster

Post by science_fox » Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:40 pm

Well yes that's what drugs do. If you kill only a subset of the population the rest survive to become resistant - cf Domestos adverts kills 99.99% of bacteria and viruses, leaves millions of cells still replicating. And especially so for antibiotics (and even more especially those that are based from bacteria in the first place which many are*)

*bacteria routinely wage antibacterial war against each other trying to occupy fertile niches. It's relatively easy to screen wide ranges of bacteria from exotic locations for 'novel' anti-bacterials. But anything that one bacteria has secreted has almost certainly been seen by the other species before, and are 'remembered' somewhere in the genetic code, and then resistance quickly evolved. I attended a great talk from a US prof who took bacterial samples from pristine environments (she was a caver and got into aquafers that were genuinely untouched by humans). These bacterial still very very quickly evolved resistance to common antibiotics.
I'm not afraid of catching Covid, I'm afraid of catching idiot.

shpalman
Princess POW

Re: Antiviral drug makes covid evolve faster

Post by shpalman » Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:49 pm

But if you actually read the link and the words in it, you'll see that the drug works by making the virus mutate. Most mutations of course would be detrimental but do it enough and you'll get a few which convey advantages.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk