Commercial ethics

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
Allo V Psycho
Catbabel

Commercial ethics

Post by Allo V Psycho » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:15 pm

I've been asked for advice about something, but I don't know the answer, and would be grateful for any experiences from the hive. A commercial company wishes to test a new device. and has an internal review board which has approved the test. To be fair, it is unlikely to pose a significant risk to participants (let's say, for instance, it is a new way to test their hearing). They wish to engage a University partner to help with data analysis. What's the ethical obligation on the University partner? Does it have to go to the university ethics committee? In whole? In part? Not come across this before. Is it usual for UK commercial companies to have internal IRBs?

dyqik
Princess POW

Re: Commercial ethics

Post by dyqik » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:59 pm

Allo V Psycho wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:15 pm
I've been asked for advice about something, but I don't know the answer, and would be grateful for any experiences from the hive. A commercial company wishes to test a new device. and has an internal review board which has approved the test. To be fair, it is unlikely to pose a significant risk to participants (let's say, for instance, it is a new way to test their hearing). They wish to engage a University partner to help with data analysis. What's the ethical obligation on the University partner? Does it have to go to the university ethics committee? In whole? In part? Not come across this before. Is it usual for UK commercial companies to have internal IRBs?
The university ethics committee is the committee with the power to approve or disapprove your work, regardless of who is paying for it, and it's your university that is on the hook for fallout from you carrying out unethical research.

I'd expect the commercial company to provide you with the information necessary for you to take to your university's ethics review board. This should greatly simplify the process for you, but you will still have to tailor it to the form that your university's ethics review board needs. It should be simple for them, because they have already put together a package for their internal review board.

This is pretty much the same as if you took part in an academic collaboration between different institutions (e.g. in different countries with different funding agencies).

kerrya1
Clardic Fug

Post by kerrya1 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:34 am

Allo V Psycho wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:15 pm
I'm not sure which University would be involved but almost all have a department which exists purely to set-up arrangements like this between the institution and industry partner. If I were asked this question I would direct the requester to the dept and let them deal with it. As dyqik says there will need to University ethics approval but they will know exactly what needs to be done in terms of ethics, contracts, etc.

Allo V Psycho
Catbabel

Post by Allo V Psycho » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:08 pm

Thanks both - the query is on its way!