Space Launch

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
User avatar
bolo
Fuzzable
Posts: 296
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:17 pm
Location: Washington DC

Space Launch

Post by bolo » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:09 pm

SpaceX is targeting Monday, November 11 at 9:56 a.m. EST, 14:56 UTC, for launch of 60 Starlink satellites from Space Launch Complex 40 (SLC-40) at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida. A backup launch opportunity is available at 9:34 a.m. EST, 14:34 UTC, on Tuesday, November 12.
Watch live
Reused first stage, reused fairing, planning to land first stage on a droneship.

User avatar
Gfamily
Dorkwood
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:00 pm

Re: Space Launch

Post by Gfamily » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:30 pm

bolo wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:09 pm
SpaceX is targeting Monday, November 11 at 9:56 a.m. EST, 14:56 UTC, for launch of 60 Starlink satellites from Space Launch Complex 40 (SLC-40) at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida. A backup launch opportunity is available at 9:34 a.m. EST, 14:34 UTC, on Tuesday, November 12.
Watch live
Reused first stage, reused fairing, planning to land first stage on a droneship.
Another bl..dy load of 'internet' satellites.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct

User avatar
bolo
Fuzzable
Posts: 296
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:17 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: Space Launch

Post by bolo » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:53 pm

You might want to make a macro for that post.

User avatar
Gfamily
Dorkwood
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:00 pm

Re: Space Launch

Post by Gfamily » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:57 pm

bolo wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:53 pm
You might want to make a macro for that post.
:)
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct

User avatar
lsnduck
Gray Pubic
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:24 pm

Re: Space Launch

Post by lsnduck » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:06 pm

That seemed to go well.

I'm not sure why I am surprised that it is so quick for stage one to come back again.

User avatar
Gfamily
Dorkwood
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:00 pm

Re: Space Launch

Post by Gfamily » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:55 pm

bolo wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:53 pm
You might want to make a macro for that post.
and another for posting articles like this each time too.
https://www.newscientist.com/article/22 ... omy-again/


Image
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct

User avatar
Gfamily
Dorkwood
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:00 pm

Re: Space Launch

Post by Gfamily » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:57 pm

Plus, SMIDSY*

* rather, SM "the warning message didn't get through"
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct

User avatar
lpm
Dorkwood
Posts: 1287
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:05 pm
Location: IMPEACH AND EXTERMINATE

Re: Space Launch

Post by lpm » Wed May 27, 2020 1:23 pm

SpaceX launch tonight, about 21:30 UK time.

Donald Trump, money launderer and President, is going to be watching.

Worth remembering that in January 1986 the Vice President George Bush was due to watch a shuttle launch. This PR exercise was disrupted, however, by repeated launch postponements. Nasa was left embarrassed by their failure to put on a show and the Vice President returned to Washington.

The later investigation cited this as a factor in Nasa's decision to pressure engineers not to postpone the launch on 28 January despite icy conditions.

With bad weather in the Florida area today, particularly in abort landing sites, it'll be interesting to see if there's a postponement. It's unlikely Trump would be capable of understanding why his entertainment was cancelled.
I'll miss him after he's died in the pandemic

User avatar
Gfamily
Dorkwood
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:00 pm

Re: Space Launch

Post by Gfamily » Wed May 27, 2020 1:35 pm

It's being widely reported that the Dragon Crew capsule will pass over the UK from about 21:48.
However, I'm not sure how dark the sky will be at the time, so it may not be particularly visible. More visible in the south of England as both higher and slightly darker sky by then.

There will be an ISS passage later - just before 23:00, and Heaven's Above website suggests the Dragon Crew might be visible some time after 22:25 (depending on location)
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct

User avatar
Grumble
Catbabel
Posts: 712
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Re: Space Launch

Post by Grumble » Wed May 27, 2020 6:36 pm

Anyone else watching the build up? The spacesuits look so cool. I want one. They probably cost $10,000 or more each, but damn.
I could squeeze my lemon till my blues went away, if I had possession over pancake day

User avatar
lpm
Dorkwood
Posts: 1287
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:05 pm
Location: IMPEACH AND EXTERMINATE

Re: Space Launch

Post by lpm » Wed May 27, 2020 7:23 pm

They look amazing. And the rocket.

The whole thing is so futuristic. Like we're living in the 21st Century. More elegance than the shuttle, but less feeling of sheer power.

I remember watching the first Columbia shuttle launch. John Young. The landing was even cooler - S-curves are such a simple way to close in across an entire continent.

No idea why everyone isn't on this thread, watching along. This only happens a couple of times in a lifetime.
I'll miss him after he's died in the pandemic

User avatar
shpalman
Dorkwood
Posts: 1335
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: Space Launch

Post by shpalman » Wed May 27, 2020 7:28 pm

Yeah I'm watching it now that you've mentioned it.

The weather here is much better than it is there.
molto tricky

Aoui
Bank Butt
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:46 pm

Re: Space Launch

Post by Aoui » Wed May 27, 2020 7:51 pm

The space suits look downright spiffy. It all looks futuristic. I'm annoyed by the incessant nationalistic blah blah and I find the social media tedious at best. But I still love watching. I do wonder too about the safety, due to the orange one's inability to accept reality or care...

User avatar
lpm
Dorkwood
Posts: 1287
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:05 pm
Location: IMPEACH AND EXTERMINATE

Re: Space Launch

Post by lpm » Wed May 27, 2020 7:52 pm

The black and white look to the tower and crew arm is so good.
I'll miss him after he's died in the pandemic

User avatar
lpm
Dorkwood
Posts: 1287
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:05 pm
Location: IMPEACH AND EXTERMINATE

Re: Space Launch

Post by lpm » Wed May 27, 2020 8:17 pm

Scrub.
I'll miss him after he's died in the pandemic

User avatar
lpm
Dorkwood
Posts: 1287
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:05 pm
Location: IMPEACH AND EXTERMINATE

Re: Space Launch

Post by lpm » Wed May 27, 2020 8:22 pm

lpm wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:23 pm
SpaceX launch tonight, about 21:30 UK time.

Donald Trump, money launderer and President, is going to be watching.

Worth remembering that in January 1986 the Vice President George Bush was due to watch a shuttle launch. This PR exercise was disrupted, however, by repeated launch postponements. Nasa was left embarrassed by their failure to put on a show and the Vice President returned to Washington.

The later investigation cited this as a factor in Nasa's decision to pressure engineers not to postpone the launch on 28 January despite icy conditions.

With bad weather in the Florida area today, particularly in abort landing sites, it'll be interesting to see if there's a postponement. It's unlikely Trump would be capable of understanding why his entertainment was cancelled.
Bet you they only fuelled because Trump was there. They'd have scrubbed earlier but wanted the chance to give him a show.

It should be a fundamental safety rule that VIPs are never allowed to attend. I thought that was a 1986 recommendation, but even my memory is hazy after 34 years.
I'll miss him after he's died in the pandemic

User avatar
Grumble
Catbabel
Posts: 712
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Re: Space Launch

Post by Grumble » Wed May 27, 2020 8:33 pm

Went out for a run partly due to some of the tediousness of the build up, I didn’t really want to see mini videos of spaceX staff going woo yay. I’m happy for them but that bit did nothing for me. Interviews with astronauts I could listen to all day though, technical details of the pre flight checks were cool too. Here’s hoping for a launch on Saturday! The little Grumbles can all watch too. Wait, what time will it be?
I could squeeze my lemon till my blues went away, if I had possession over pancake day

User avatar
Gfamily
Dorkwood
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:00 pm

Re: Space Launch

Post by Gfamily » Wed May 27, 2020 8:39 pm

Grumble wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:33 pm
Went out for a run partly due to some of the tediousness of the build up, I didn’t really want to see mini videos of spaceX staff going woo yay. I’m happy for them but that bit did nothing for me. Interviews with astronauts I could listen to all day though, technical details of the pre flight checks were cool too. Here’s hoping for a launch on Saturday! The little Grumbles can all watch too. Wait, what time will it be?
The launch window gets about 22 minutes earlier per day, so will be at 8:22 BST on Saturday or 8:00 if they go for Sunday. Which'll make it not really visible from UK
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct

User avatar
Grumble
Catbabel
Posts: 712
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Re: Space Launch

Post by Grumble » Wed May 27, 2020 8:50 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:39 pm
Grumble wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:33 pm
Went out for a run partly due to some of the tediousness of the build up, I didn’t really want to see mini videos of spaceX staff going woo yay. I’m happy for them but that bit did nothing for me. Interviews with astronauts I could listen to all day though, technical details of the pre flight checks were cool too. Here’s hoping for a launch on Saturday! The little Grumbles can all watch too. Wait, what time will it be?
The launch window gets about 22 minutes earlier per day, so will be at 8:22 BST on Saturday or 8:00 if they go for Sunday. Which'll make it not really visible from UK
Maybe littlest Grumble can watch it too then. We saw the ISS tonight, nice to see it against a blue sky.
I could squeeze my lemon till my blues went away, if I had possession over pancake day

User avatar
bolo
Fuzzable
Posts: 296
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:17 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: Space Launch

Post by bolo » Wed May 27, 2020 11:00 pm

Grumble wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 6:36 pm
Anyone else watching the build up? The spacesuits look so cool. I want one. They probably cost $10,000 or more each, but damn.
I'm pretty sure $10,000 doesn't even come close.

User avatar
Grumble
Catbabel
Posts: 712
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Re: Space Launch

Post by Grumble » Thu May 28, 2020 5:57 am

bolo wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:00 pm
Grumble wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 6:36 pm
Anyone else watching the build up? The spacesuits look so cool. I want one. They probably cost $10,000 or more each, but damn.
I'm pretty sure $10,000 doesn't even come close.
Maybe not, but they aren’t the evac suits which I know cost a lot
I could squeeze my lemon till my blues went away, if I had possession over pancake day

User avatar
Vertigowooyay
Clardic Fug
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:25 pm

Re: Space Launch

Post by Vertigowooyay » Sat May 30, 2020 2:33 pm

Ouch. Testing the heavy lift rocket didn’t go well.

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/12 ... 86784?s=21
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

User avatar
shpalman
Dorkwood
Posts: 1335
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: Space Launch

Post by shpalman » Sat May 30, 2020 3:06 pm

The livestream for tonight's launch has just started: https://www.spacex.com/launches/
molto tricky

User avatar
Martin Y
Dorkwood
Posts: 992
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:08 pm

Re: Space Launch

Post by Martin Y » Sat May 30, 2020 6:14 pm

Cautiously optimistic about the weather. Hoping to get a go in a weather update in ten minutes, at T-1 hour.

User avatar
Grumble
Catbabel
Posts: 712
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Re: Space Launch

Post by Grumble » Sat May 30, 2020 7:47 pm

Brilliant, so good to see a successful launch. Could do without Jim Bridenstein though.
I could squeeze my lemon till my blues went away, if I had possession over pancake day

Post Reply