Optical illusions of the year

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
User avatar
Grumble
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3401
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Optical illusions of the year

Post by Grumble » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:28 pm

http://illusionoftheyear.com/cat/top-10-finalists/2019/

Have a look at some of these, optical illusions always fascinate, I’ve never seen one that rotates in both directions around horizontal and vertical axes before.
A bit churlish

mikeh
Fuzzable
Posts: 277
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:48 pm

Re: Optical illusions of the year

Post by mikeh » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:48 pm

Very cool.

On the second one, I got yellow dots going left to right, but couldn't see red and green dots going from top to bottom.

Why is this?

User avatar
Boustrophedon
After Pie
Posts: 2448
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:58 pm
Location: Lincolnshire Wolds

Re: Optical illusions of the year

Post by Boustrophedon » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:09 am

Survival is underrated.
leave 'em laughing when you go.

User avatar
GeenDienst
Dorkwood
Posts: 1093
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:10 am

Re: Optical illusions of the year

Post by GeenDienst » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:34 am

I'm blind as a very short sighted bat. With my glasses on and phone a couple of feet away I could only see yellow. Glasses off and a few cm away I could oly see red and green


mikeh wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:48 pm
Very cool.

On the second one, I got yellow dots going left to right, but couldn't see red and green dots going from top to bottom.

Why is this?
Just tell 'em I'm broke and don't come round here no more.

User avatar
jaap
Snowbonk
Posts: 541
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:05 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Optical illusions of the year

Post by jaap » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:26 am

The Chunder Thunder Illusion (direct link) is brilliant.
Warning - it might be seizure inducing...

mikeh
Fuzzable
Posts: 277
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:48 pm

Re: Optical illusions of the year

Post by mikeh » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:38 pm

GeenDienst wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:34 am
I'm blind as a very short sighted bat. With my glasses on and phone a couple of feet away I could only see yellow. Glasses off and a few cm away I could oly see red and green


mikeh wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:48 pm
Very cool.

On the second one, I got yellow dots going left to right, but couldn't see red and green dots going from top to bottom.

Why is this?
I'm also as blind as a Dienst. Maybe I would have the same results. I haven't tried yet.

User avatar
GeenDienst
Dorkwood
Posts: 1093
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:10 am

Re: Optical illusions of the year

Post by GeenDienst » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:28 pm

mikeh wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:38 pm
GeenDienst wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:34 am
I'm blind as a very short sighted bat. With my glasses on and phone a couple of feet away I could only see yellow. Glasses off and a few cm away I could oly see red and green


mikeh wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:48 pm
Very cool.

On the second one, I got yellow dots going left to right, but couldn't see red and green dots going from top to bottom.

Why is this?
I'm also as blind as a Dienst. Maybe I would have the same results. I haven't tried yet.
I can make it work as advertised on my proper computer screen, if I kind of blur my vision (even more) as I try to make it switch. I wonder if that one has its tiny dots interacting with the different screens in some way.

I like the one where the dot is going round, bamboozled by the circles going round that.
Just tell 'em I'm broke and don't come round here no more.

User avatar
Grumble
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3401
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Re: Optical illusions of the year

Post by Grumble » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:39 pm

mikeh wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:48 pm
Very cool.

On the second one, I got yellow dots going left to right, but couldn't see red and green dots going from top to bottom.

Why is this?
If you look at the sides then you can switch to seeing lines going down, if you look at top or bottom you can switch to seeing lines going left-right.
A bit churlish

User avatar
Brightonian
Dorkwood
Posts: 1121
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:16 pm
Location: Usually UK, often France and Ireland

Re: Optical illusions of the year

Post by Brightonian » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:40 pm

IMG_20210905_153754.jpg
IMG_20210905_153754.jpg (53.98 KiB) Viewed 1888 times

IvanV
Dorkwood
Posts: 1298
Joined: Mon May 17, 2021 11:12 am

Re: Optical illusions of the year

Post by IvanV » Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:40 pm

The Ames' Window Illusion, 50 years old this year, remains one of the very best. Look what goes on later, around 3m and 4m, when he sticks a match box to it, and then fixes a ruler through the window. It becomes quite mindboggling. Even though the guy has already shown you it is just a flat piece of cardboard, with a vertical pin so you can make it rotate around a vertical axis on a turntable, you just can't make yourself see the reality of what is happening. At least, I can't.

User avatar
Brightonian
Dorkwood
Posts: 1121
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:16 pm
Location: Usually UK, often France and Ireland

Re: Optical illusions of the year

Post by Brightonian » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:24 pm

Lifted from the Daily Star who lifted it from Reddit:
Attachments
0_mcaqmf7ryt481.jpg
0_mcaqmf7ryt481.jpg (148.04 KiB) Viewed 1540 times

hakwright
Buzzberry
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:58 pm

Re: Optical illusions of the year

Post by hakwright » Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:57 pm

An oldie but goldie - but a nice way of revisiting it:

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... 27/203.gif

User avatar
bjn
After Pie
Posts: 2030
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:58 pm
Location: London

Re: Optical illusions of the year

Post by bjn » Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:33 pm

IvanV wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:40 pm
The Ames' Window Illusion, 50 years old this year, remains one of the very best. Look what goes on later, around 3m and 4m, when he sticks a match box to it, and then fixes a ruler through the window. It becomes quite mindboggling. Even though the guy has already shown you it is just a flat piece of cardboard, with a vertical pin so you can make it rotate around a vertical axis on a turntable, you just can't make yourself see the reality of what is happening. At least, I can't.
Two things.

1 - that is an ace illusion, the ruler magically cutting through the window was the best bit,

2 - the clip is from The Curiosity Show, a science/education program for kids made in Australia when I was growing up. It was my favourite thing ever at the time (even more than Star Wars), I would watch every episode that I could. It helped make me into the nerd I am today.

User avatar
Brightonian
Dorkwood
Posts: 1121
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:16 pm
Location: Usually UK, often France and Ireland

Re: Optical illusions of the year

Post by Brightonian » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:56 am


User avatar
Grumble
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3401
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Re: Optical illusions of the year

Post by Grumble » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:22 am

Image

Doesn’t have a strong effect on me. On SGU they said the effect size varies between people.
A bit churlish

User avatar
basementer
Dorkwood
Posts: 1365
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm
Location: 5713, Aotearoa
Contact:

Re: Optical illusions of the year

Post by basementer » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:49 am

It's a black splodge on a dotty background to me. What's the illusion?
Money is just a substitute for luck anyway. - Tom Siddell

User avatar
jaap
Snowbonk
Posts: 541
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:05 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Optical illusions of the year

Post by jaap » Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:06 pm

basementer wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:49 am
It's a black splodge on a dotty background to me. What's the illusion?
The illusion is that the black splodge/hole seems to grow.
It works for me - every time I shift my focus (e.g. from the top to the bottom of the hole) it looks like the hole expands for about a quarter of a second, and if I keep moving my eyes around the hole it continually grows.

User avatar
Martin Y
Stummy Beige
Posts: 2586
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:08 pm

Re: Optical illusions of the year

Post by Martin Y » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:53 pm

Yep, works for me. Every time I shift the point I'm looking at the blob seems to be growing. Took me a while to recognise that it was a fixed picture and wasn't an animation.

User avatar
jaap
Snowbonk
Posts: 541
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:05 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Optical illusions of the year

Post by jaap » Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:05 pm

BTW, if I'm a bit too far away it no longer works. I have to be close enough that my peripheral vision gets involved.

monkey
Dorkwood
Posts: 1341
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:10 pm

Re: Optical illusions of the year

Post by monkey » Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:00 pm

jaap wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:06 pm
basementer wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:49 am
It's a black splodge on a dotty background to me. What's the illusion?
The illusion is that the black splodge/hole seems to grow.
I only noticed it happening after I read this. Didn't move in between looks.

User avatar
tenchboy
Dorkwood
Posts: 1358
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:18 pm
Location: Down amongst the potamogeton.

Re: Optical illusions of the year

Post by tenchboy » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:26 pm

Not exactly oioty but interesting nevertheless.
2nd picture down, big red hat, do you see anything strange when you first look at it?

User avatar
sTeamTraen
After Pie
Posts: 2422
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:24 pm
Location: Palma de Mallorca, Spain

Re: Optical illusions of the year

Post by sTeamTraen » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:52 pm

tenchboy wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:26 pm
Not exactly oioty but interesting nevertheless.
2nd picture down, big red hat, do you see anything strange when you first look at it?
I am rubbish at this sort of thing. It just looks to me like the wearer has a nasty rash all around her mouth.
Something something hammer something something nail

User avatar
tenchboy
Dorkwood
Posts: 1358
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:18 pm
Location: Down amongst the potamogeton.

Re: Optical illusions of the year

Post by tenchboy » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:07 am

sTeamTraen wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:52 pm
tenchboy wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:26 pm
Not exactly oioty but interesting nevertheless.
2nd picture down, big red hat, do you see anything strange when you first look at it?
I am rubbish at this sort of thing. It just looks to me like the wearer has a nasty rash all around her mouth.
S'worse than that!
When I first scrolled down to that picture, for a full second or so, I imagine because there are no eyes showing and my mind was trying to make it into a face, I saw just a monstrous chin with a tiny mouth between the hat and the rest of her body like some sort of Mrs Potatohead. Her collar bone marked the base of the chin, her neck was the flat front and her mouth the same as in the picture.*
It was only when I found that patch of light to the left that it transformed in my mind into the proper picture.
It happened a couple of times afterwards but for progressively shorter times when I went back to it if I started at the top and scrolled down but didn't work if I had left the picture there and then clicked back to it.
*Once it had transformed in my mind to the proper picture I couldn't get back to seeing Mrs Potatohead but when it happened afterwards I was just able to see which bits were where. It doesn't happen at all now.
Add note: I have only ever once seen the craters on the moon (in pictures of the moon); my mind always shows them to me as raised pimples: maybe there is a connection.

User avatar
bob sterman
Catbabel
Posts: 901
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:25 pm
Location: Location Location

Re: Optical illusions of the year

Post by bob sterman » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:47 am

tenchboy wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:07 am
sTeamTraen wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:52 pm
tenchboy wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:26 pm
Not exactly oioty but interesting nevertheless.
2nd picture down, big red hat, do you see anything strange when you first look at it?
I am rubbish at this sort of thing. It just looks to me like the wearer has a nasty rash all around her mouth.
S'worse than that!
When I first scrolled down to that picture, for a full second or so, I imagine because there are no eyes showing and my mind was trying to make it into a face, I saw just a monstrous chin with a tiny mouth between the hat and the rest of her body like some sort of Mrs Potatohead. Her collar bone marked the base of the chin, her neck was the flat front and her mouth the same as in the picture.
Yes - I got it too!! Like a giant fleshy potato head for about 4-5 seconds. But now, no matter what I try I can't get it back.

User avatar
shpalman
Princess POW
Posts: 7178
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: Optical illusions of the year

Post by shpalman » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:05 am

bob sterman wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:47 am
tenchboy wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:07 am
sTeamTraen wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:52 pm


I am rubbish at this sort of thing. It just looks to me like the wearer has a nasty rash all around her mouth.
S'worse than that!
When I first scrolled down to that picture, for a full second or so, I imagine because there are no eyes showing and my mind was trying to make it into a face, I saw just a monstrous chin with a tiny mouth between the hat and the rest of her body like some sort of Mrs Potatohead. Her collar bone marked the base of the chin, her neck was the flat front and her mouth the same as in the picture.
Yes - I got it too!! Like a giant fleshy potato head for about 4-5 seconds. But now, no matter what I try I can't get it back.
I find it difficult to not see it like that. I can't barely tell how it's supposed to look. I thought it was another one of those tedious f.cking Dall-E images which are all over the f.cking twitter.
molto tricky

Post Reply