Callanish

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
Grumble
Light of Blast

Callanish

Post by Grumble » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:25 pm

I’ve been fascinated with standing stones and stone circles for as long as I can remember. I visited Callanish when I was about 10. Here’s a possible reason for the location of Callanish. Seems plausible, I wonder how common lightning scars are though?
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Re: Callanish

Post by discovolante » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:30 pm

Awesome! I went earlier this year, it was quite an experience. It seemed very ceremonial to me.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

GeenDienst
Dorkwood

Post by GeenDienst » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:31 am

Grumble wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:25 pm
I’ve been fascinated with standing stones and stone circles for as long as I can remember. I visited Callanish when I was about 10. Here’s a possible reason for the location of Callanish. Seems plausible, I wonder how common lightning scars are though?
[my bold]

On the face of it, it seems far fetched that this finding isn't significant for the Callanish standing stones. I note that the archaeologists had to uncover the lightning signal from under peat bogs, but the story says the peat started to be laid down at about the same time. All we have here in this story (does the little dance that makes people who know this stuff head this way) is the vox pops from the archaeologists interviewed, from which it seems that this is really unprecedented. One says the lightning scarring is “a really huge-looking event”, which sounds pretty rare.

I'm guessing the geophysicists are already busy with grant applications.
Just tell 'em I'm broke and don't come round here no more.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:27 am

GeenDienst wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:31 am
Grumble wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:25 pm
[my bold]

On the face of it, it seems far fetched that this finding isn't significant for the Callanish standing stones. I note that the archaeologists had to uncover the lightning signal from under peat bogs, but the story says the peat started to be laid down at about the same time. All we have here in this story (does the little dance that makes people who know this stuff head this way) is the vox pops from the archaeologists interviewed, from which it seems that this is really unprecedented. One says the lightning scarring is “a really huge-looking event”, which sounds pretty rare.

I'm guessing the geophysicists are already busy with grant applications.
I don’t know if it’s possible to date the scar beyond “pre-peat”. It might be the case that Callanish was built around a spectacular feature without any knowledge of what caused it.

murmur
Snowbonk

Post by murmur » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:55 am

But it's not actually Callanais: the stone in question is at Loch Roag and not definitely part of the Callanais complex and certainly isn't what most folk would understand as the Callanais stone circle.

Whoever was responsible for the tagline (and the journo who wrote the piece to a lesser extent) needs slapping on the wrist.
It's so much more attractive inside the moral kiosk

murmur
Snowbonk

Post by murmur » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:19 pm

Sorry, missed a few words out in the above post. Should've included "elsewhere in the [Loch Roag] area".

And I mannaged to double up the "l" in Calanais.

All I can say is I hadn't finished my coffee and I had a cat jumping around on my lap.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:43 pm

murmur wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:55 am
But it's not actually Callanais: the stone in question is at Loch Roag and not definitely part of the Callanais complex and certainly isn't what most folk would understand as the Callanais stone circle.

Whoever was responsible for the tagline (and the journo who wrote the piece to a lesser extent) needs slapping on the wrist.
Good point, there’s a suggestion that there was a stone circle but only one stone remaining. Do I remember correctly that there’s a tomb at Callanish?

murmur
Snowbonk

Post by murmur » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:56 pm

Yup, tomb in Calanais 1 from a date later than the stone circle.

The wiki page is quite a useful guide.

The Observer piece is talking about Calanais XI at Beinn Bheag, which is just east of Breascleit, to the north of the main Calanais site.

murmur
Snowbonk

Post by murmur » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:17 pm

Calanais XI

Don't get me wrong: it's certainly interesting that this discovery has been made and may have some connection with that particular site's origins; it's just that the article and its accompnying tagline and pic are not helpful; and it doesn't tell us much about the whole Calanais complex.

The whole area is fascinating and well worth visiting, if not quite as spectacular as The Neolithic Playground on Orkney.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:21 pm

murmur wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:17 pm
Calanais XI

Don't get me wrong: it's certainly interesting that this discovery has been made and may have some connection with that particular site's origins; it's just that the article and its accompnying tagline and pic are not helpful; and it doesn't tell us much about the whole Calanais complex.

The whole area is fascinating and well worth visiting, if not quite as spectacular as The Neolithic Playground on Orkney.
Orkney is great.

And there are less-famous tombs than Meashowe with free access to the inside
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Nickynockynoonoo
Stargoon

Post by Nickynockynoonoo » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:07 pm

jimbob wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:21 pm
murmur wrote:
Calanais XI

Orkney is great.

Yes Orkney is great. The Italian chapel, built by WW2 prisoners is well worth seeing.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:09 pm

Nickynockynoonoo wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:07 pm
jimbob wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:21 pm
murmur wrote:
Calanais XI

Orkney is great.

Yes Orkney is great. The Italian chapel, built by WW2 prisoners is well worth seeing.
Definitely, and the fact that he stayed on after the end of the war to finish it
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation