The Bystander Effect is Probably Bunk

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
bjn
Stummy Beige

The Bystander Effect is Probably Bunk

Post by bjn » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:25 am

A new paper questions the veracity of the bystander effect. They used CCTV footage of violent interactions from three different countries and found that the likelihood of someone stepping in was positively correlated with the number of bystanders and that the likely hood was 9 in 10.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Re: The Bystander Effect is Probably Bunk

Post by plodder » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:29 am

Oh that's cool. I always instinctively hated those "we are sh.t" psychology tropes that perpetuated from the 60s and 70s and I've always worried they did significant harm to our culture etc.

jaap
Catbabel

Post by jaap » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:25 am

I think this is interesting:
The knowledge that an individual’s likelihood to intervene reduces in the
presence of others does not establish, however, the aggregated likelihood that at least
someone will help.
This research establishes that interventions increase with the number of other people present, but:
our research does not evaluate whether bystanders are less likely to provide help when in the presence of other bystanders compared with when they are alone
Even so, I've always wondered how strong the bystander effect really is, and how much it depends on the type of emergency. This study focussed specifically on acts of aggression (so no accidents, fires, or sudden illnesses for example) but even there I imagine there might be a difference between cases where there is one aggressive person or a gang.

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:34 pm

There are quite a few interesting critiques of Bystander effect and others from that time (Zimbardo, Milgram) in social psych. I had to read "Kitty Genovese and culturally embedded theorizing" by Frances Cherry for my degree.
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."