Citation needed

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
Post Reply
User avatar
sTeamTraen
Clardic Fug
Posts: 189
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:24 pm

Citation needed

Post by sTeamTraen » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:59 pm

Dubious scientific claims in advertising and public places...

#1: Organic food.
Translation: "Eating organic is better for you and better for the planet".

2020-01-28 14.57.32.jpg
2020-01-28 14.57.32.jpg (721.01 KiB) Viewed 402 times

plodder
Catbabel
Posts: 611
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:50 pm

Re: Citation needed

Post by plodder » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:37 pm

it’s certainly locally better for insects and the wider food web, worse in terms of the amount of land you need to farm though.

User avatar
dyqik
Dorkwood
Posts: 1229
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: Citation needed

Post by dyqik » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:08 pm

plodder wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:37 pm
it’s certainly locally better for insects and the wider food web, worse in terms of the amount of land you need to farm though.
I'm not sure about the first, tbh. "Organic" can still be done with massive fields of monoculture.

User avatar
Woodchopper
Snowbonk
Posts: 602
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:05 am

Re: Citation needed

Post by Woodchopper » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:01 pm

dyqik wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:08 pm
plodder wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:37 pm
it’s certainly locally better for insects and the wider food web, worse in terms of the amount of land you need to farm though.
I'm not sure about the first, tbh. "Organic" can still be done with massive fields of monoculture.
As far as I remember with less use of pesticides.

User avatar
dyqik
Dorkwood
Posts: 1229
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: Citation needed

Post by dyqik » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:13 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:01 pm
dyqik wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:08 pm
plodder wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:37 pm
it’s certainly locally better for insects and the wider food web, worse in terms of the amount of land you need to farm though.
I'm not sure about the first, tbh. "Organic" can still be done with massive fields of monoculture.
As far as I remember with less use of pesticides.
But still with problematic pesticides, like copper sulfate etc.

Related to that, do not eat the skins of organic potatoes.

User avatar
sTeamTraen
Clardic Fug
Posts: 189
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:24 pm

Re: Citation needed

Post by sTeamTraen » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:15 pm

dyqik wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:13 pm
Related to that, do not eat the skins of organic potatoes.
Have you got a reference for that ? In one of my online lives I'm surrounded by wibble of the "vegan and organic" variety (FFS, do they have no idea what goes into fertiliser for "organic" food?), so it would be nice to have some backup about copper residues.

User avatar
dyqik
Dorkwood
Posts: 1229
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: Citation needed

Post by dyqik » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:19 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:15 pm
dyqik wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:13 pm
Related to that, do not eat the skins of organic potatoes.
Have you got a reference for that ? In one of my online lives I'm surrounded by wibble of the "vegan and organic" variety (FFS, do they have no idea what goes into fertiliser for "organic" food?), so it would be nice to have some backup about copper residues.
It's a personal recommendation from an ecologist of our former parish.

User avatar
Gfamily
Catbabel
Posts: 672
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:00 pm

Re: Citation needed

Post by Gfamily » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:37 pm

dyqik wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:19 pm
sTeamTraen wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:15 pm
dyqik wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:13 pm
Related to that, do not eat the skins of organic potatoes.
Have you got a reference for that ? In one of my online lives I'm surrounded by wibble of the "vegan and organic" variety (FFS, do they have no idea what goes into fertiliser for "organic" food?), so it would be nice to have some backup about copper residues.
It's a personal recommendation from an ecologist of our former parish.
Also a recommendation of a food residues expert of our family
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct

User avatar
Aitch
Sindis Poop
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:53 am

Re: Citation needed

Post by Aitch » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:44 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:37 pm
dyqik wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:19 pm
sTeamTraen wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:15 pm

Have you got a reference for that ? In one of my online lives I'm surrounded by wibble of the "vegan and organic" variety (FFS, do they have no idea what goes into fertiliser for "organic" food?), so it would be nice to have some backup about copper residues.
It's a personal recommendation from an ecologist of our former parish.
Also a recommendation of a food residues expert of our family
Not a vegan/organic question, but how do they feel on the rice/arsenic question?
Some people call me strange.
I prefer unconventional.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept eccentric
.

User avatar
Gfamily
Catbabel
Posts: 672
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:00 pm

Re: Citation needed

Post by Gfamily » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:15 pm

Aitch wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:44 pm
Gfamily wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:37 pm
dyqik wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:19 pm


It's a personal recommendation from an ecologist of our former parish.
Also a recommendation of a food residues expert of our family
Not a vegan/organic question, but how do they feel on the rice/arsenic question?
I don't recall any hesitancy about eating rice, I think she just accepts it, As is.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct

User avatar
shpalman
Snowbonk
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: Citation needed

Post by shpalman » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:55 am

Gfamily wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:15 pm
I don't recall any hesitancy about eating rice, I think she just accepts it, As is.
Nicely done.
molto tricky

Herainestold
Clardic Fug
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: Citation needed

Post by Herainestold » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:37 pm

There needs to be a synthesis of organic and GMO technology. Fewer pesticides and yield enhancing modifications. Take GMOs from the corporations and put them in the hands of agriculture departments and the universities.

User avatar
sTeamTraen
Clardic Fug
Posts: 189
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:24 pm

Re: Citation needed

Post by sTeamTraen » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:55 pm

Herainestold wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:37 pm
There needs to be a synthesis of organic and GMO technology. Fewer pesticides and yield enhancing modifications. Take GMOs from the corporations and put them in the hands of agriculture departments and the universities.
Not much chance of that happening as long as the organic evangelists are so dead set against GMO. Not nacheral, y'see.

Post Reply