Energy storage

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
dyqik
Princess POW

Energy storage

Post by dyqik » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:51 pm

Prompted by plodder's reply to my terrible infrastructure project of a pumped storage system in Norwich, here's a serious project near me, being built by a UK company:

Liquified Air Storage. The key advantages seem to be that a relatively small system can store energy with low losses for weeks at a time, and can release it relatively fast when required.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Re: Energy storage

Post by Gfamily » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:19 pm

Not sure about the practicalities there. Compression would heat up the air considerably, and when it's released weeks later it could lead to localised snow showers.

On the other hand, they could also extract Oxygen from the compressed air by passing it over zeolites.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:35 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:19 pm
Not sure about the practicalities there. Compression would heat up the air considerably, and when it's released weeks later it could lead to localised snow showers.

On the other hand, they could also extract Oxygen from the compressed air by passing it over zeolites.
They store the heat from compression to drive expansion later.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:07 pm

Grumble wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:35 pm
Gfamily wrote:

The article says they cool the air to compress it. So not sure how they would store the heat.
I never really understood thermodynamics, enough to be able to handwave, perhaps; but never enough to be totally confident.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:12 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:07 pm
Grumble wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:35 pm
Gfamily wrote:

The article says they cool the air to compress it. So not sure how they would store the heat.
I never really understood thermodynamics, enough to be able to handwave, perhaps; but never enough to be totally confident.
I’m not sure how either to be fair, I imagine in insulated tanks. They also say it’s more efficient if they can use waste heat and waste cold from other processes. Some concept info here: https://www.highviewpower.com/technology/
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three