painkillers for emotional pain

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
shpalman
Princess POW

painkillers for emotional pain

Post by shpalman » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:45 pm

The Guardian reports on the possibility of taking the edge off emotional pain using paracetamol (acetaminophen) before telling you to f.cking man up and take the pain else you won't learn.
“Let’s say you have a break-up and you have a broken heart, I think you should be sad! That’s human!” she says.
Let's say you have a broken leg, I think it should hurt! That's human!
`human pain is part of the healing process. Importantly, when we numb pain, we numb our chances of healing. “Let’s say it’s a breakup. You take a pill, now you feel better and guess what? You’re gonna repeat the same thing'
Yeah if we give you painkillers for your broken leg you're only going to go and break it again.
'Dutchevici also points to a common double standard that people have around physical versus emotional pain. If you were taking painkillers for a headache for three days we might think that’s OK, but most of us would go to the doctor if we were still doing it a week later. Why not the same for emotional pain?'
Oh, I don't know, because there are morons telling us it's "human" to suffer emotional pain?
`many people who ended up addicted to opioids in the US started out looking for a quick fix.” Tylenol isn’t addictive like opioids'
... so it has nothing to do with it then, does it?
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Re: painkillers for emotional pain

Post by sTeamTraen » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:30 pm

Why are journals even publishing studies with 14 people per group, probably half of whom won't have actually experienced anything remotely like emotional pain during the period of the study?
Something something hammer something something nail

mediocrity511
Snowbonk

Post by mediocrity511 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:49 pm

Although given what we know about paracetamol's effect on empathy, taking it to ease a painful breakup may make it harder to separate amicably.

https://academic.oup.com/scan/article/11/9/1345/2224135

Allo V Psycho
Catbabel

Post by Allo V Psycho » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:03 am

(acknowledges deficiencies in all the studies cited: takes a couple of paracetamol anyway)

(Will report on N of 1 study.)