mRNA vaccine against ticks for Lyme disease

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
jimbob
Stummy Beige

mRNA vaccine against ticks for Lyme disease

Post by jimbob » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:28 pm

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.acx9658

neat idea
MRNA technology is now famous for delivering vaccines against COVID-19, and this week it achieved another distinction with an experimental Lyme preventive announced by the collaboration launched in Ireland. “It’s the first vaccine [intended for humans] against an infectious disease that does not target the pathogen,” Fikrig says. The mRNA vaccine, administered to guinea pigs, turned tick bites red and inflamed. The ticks fed poorly, fell off early, and often failed to transmit the Lyme-causing bacterium. Researchers hope the vaccine will one day work the same way in humans.
It’s “a beautiful study,” says Ruth Montgomery, a cellular immunologist at Yale who was not involved with the work. “Potentially a mechanism like this could be very important in a number of tick-borne diseases.”
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

tom p
Dorkwood

Re: mRNA vaccine against ticks for Lyme disease

Post by tom p » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:35 pm

ooh, that is a neat idea

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:51 pm

Oh that's awesome! (says she from an area full of tics and deer...).
I'M HEATING STREAKY BACON IN A TROUSER PRESS

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:50 pm

As a former Lyme patient I can agree that it would be a very neat idea.

However, ticks transmit all kinds of horrible pathogens, and while it takes them 34-36 hours of being attached to cough up the lyme bacterium, they can also pass on viruses in a much shorter time frame (#1 son likely had tick-borne encephalitis as a teenager, and lost 60% of function in one ear).
Something something hammer something something nail

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:44 am

Yes, very cool. I know quite a few people who've had very nasty Lyme cases, and I'm pretty nervous of it myself.
You can shove your climate crisis up your arse!

Take thy beak from out my heart, and take thy form from off my door.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:15 pm

Marginally off topic but is there any indication that some people are more attractive to tics than others? I (touch wood) mostly manage to avoid it through precautions, but a friend of ours always seems to end up covered in them when he comes to ours, no matter what. He has quite hairy legs though so it might be as simple as that. Señor von Laté gets caught a bit too but not quite as much, but he's maybe also a smidge less overboard with tucking socks in etc compared to me.
I'M HEATING STREAKY BACON IN A TROUSER PRESS

jimbob
Stummy Beige

Post by jimbob » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:15 pm

discovolante wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:15 pm
Marginally off topic but is there any indication that some people are more attractive to tics than others? I (touch wood) mostly manage to avoid it through precautions, but a friend of ours always seems to end up covered in them when he comes to ours, no matter what. He has quite hairy legs though so it might be as simple as that. Señor von Laté gets caught a bit too but not quite as much, but he's maybe also a smidge less overboard with tucking socks in etc compared to me.
I wouldn't be surprised. We had a canoe camp near Simmonds Yat and one of the teenagers there was paranoid about ticks. He was one of the few people to actually get any.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation