Railways

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Aitch
Snowbonk

Re: Railways

Post by Aitch » Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:16 pm

More local, but a bit mixed, railway news.

I had a letter, as did all "Railway Neighbours', concerning the replacement of the Iron Bridge over the High Street, and all the traffic screw-ups that is likely to cause.

I say mixed because, although the current bridge is a bit tatty and in need of serious maintenance work (cosmetic, at least)...
5b - The Iron Bridge
by SteveH, on Flickr

...the new one looks a bit flimsy (scanned from the letter - please don't report me for breach of copyright, EPD)...
NewBridge.jpg
NewBridge.jpg (184.86 KiB) Viewed 3236 times
..and the old one dates to the 1880s, as far as I can make out. Yet another bit of Victorian Staines about to disappear.

It also looks like they are removing the pavement on one side of the High Street as well, but that could just be an ambiguous drawing. Or my interpretation of it.
Some people call me strange.
I prefer unconventional.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept eccentric

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:48 pm

Staines has changed sooo much since I were a nipper. That Indian restaurant used to be the Garibaldi (not a nice pub) and just past the bridge on the right was where I used to get sent to get a pint of prawns from the fish stall.

Of course, the alley down the left hand side went right through the middle of the lino factory. That dates me.
Time for a big fat one.

Aitch
Snowbonk

Post by Aitch » Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:25 pm

Opti wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:48 pm
Staines has changed sooo much since I were a nipper. That Indian restaurant used to be the Garibaldi (not a nice pub) and just past the bridge on the right was where I used to get sent to get a pint of prawns from the fish stall.
The Garibaldi became a recruitment(?) office before it became the restaurant and the fish stall became a flower shop and is now a Christian book shop.
I prefer unconventional.

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:59 pm

Aitch wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:25 pm
I grew up in Staines waaay before all the pedestrianisation and stuff. Kennards and Johnson & Clarks opposite each other, a pub every 50 yards, 2 cinemas ...

We go back every now and then to see ddb's (very) elderly mum who lives down the end of Park Avenue, which I guess is fairly near to you.
I grew up in the old cottages down the bottom of Church Street, Lammas end. Backed onto the graveyard.
Time for a big fat one.

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:40 pm

Opti wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:59 pm
Aitch wrote:
I grew up in Staines waaay before all the pedestrianisation and stuff. Kennards and Johnson & Clarks opposite each other, a pub every 50 yards, 2 cinemas ...

We go back every now and then to see ddb's (very) elderly mum who lives down the end of Park Avenue, which I guess is fairly near to you.
I grew up in the old cottages down the bottom of Church Street, Lammas end. Backed onto the graveyard.
My sister lives just off Worple Road, basically the other side of Staines Park. Small world!
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

Aitch
Snowbonk

Post by Aitch » Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:33 am

Martin_B wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:40 pm
Opti wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:59 pm
Aitch wrote:

My sister lives just off Worple Road, basically the other side of Staines Park. Small world!
Coo, she's probably used the George V postbox just off Worple Rd. ;)

Meanwhile, back at the railways, I wonder if they'll need to replace the railway bridge over the River Colne at some time. That one would cause a lot of to-ing and fro-ing - houses on one side and a shopping mall on the other.
200424xes.jpg
200424xes.jpg (286.18 KiB) Viewed 3135 times
Fortunately, the rest of the railway bridges in Staines, with the exception of the St Thomas Bridge over the Thames, are good solid Victorian brick jobs. Just need a clean now and again.
I prefer unconventional.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:57 pm

Aitch wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:16 pm

I had a letter, as did all "Railway Neighbours', concerning the replacement of the Iron Bridge over the High Street, and all the traffic screw-ups that is likely to cause.

I say mixed because, although the current bridge is a bit tatty and in need of serious maintenance work (cosmetic, at least)...
5b - The Iron Bridge
by SteveH, on Flickr

...the new one looks a bit flimsy (scanned from the letter - please don't report me for breach of copyright, EPD)...
NewBridge.jpg
..and the old one dates to the 1880s, as far as I can make out. Yet another bit of Victorian Staines about to disappear.

It also looks like they are removing the pavement on one side of the High Street as well, but that could just be an ambiguous drawing. Or my interpretation of it.
I dunno about flimsy, they're replacing a rusting iron bridge with a new steel bridge. I know which one I'd trust...
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:01 am

Small issue at Tottenham North Curve Tunnel
Tottenham North Curve Tunnel.jpg
Tottenham North Curve Tunnel.jpg (230.86 KiB) Viewed 2987 times

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:06 am

And work is going well on East West Rail. These pictures were taken at Winslow, where they're building a new station (the only new station on the line). The first pic looks towards Bicester, the second towards Bletchley.
EWR Winslow 1.jpg
EWR Winslow 1.jpg (174.44 KiB) Viewed 2983 times
EWR Winslow 2.jpg
EWR Winslow 2.jpg (230.16 KiB) Viewed 2983 times

bagpuss
After Pie

Post by bagpuss » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:37 am

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:06 am
And work is going well on East West Rail. These pictures were taken at Winslow, where they're building a new station (the only new station on the line). The first pic looks towards Bicester, the second towards Bletchley.

EWR Winslow 1.jpg

EWR Winslow 2.jpg
Oh wow, I hadn't realised they were so far on with it. Shows how much attention I've been paying the last couple of years.

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:51 am

bagpuss wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:37 am
El Pollo Diablo wrote:
And work is going well on East West Rail.
Oh wow, I hadn't realised they were so far on with it. Shows how much attention I've been paying the last couple of years.
If you've been up the Bicester eastern by-pass recently (I've long gone that way to get to J10 of the M40, when there's congestion further down) there's a new bridge. It replaces that very basic single track level crossing just south of the Launton roundabout, which in recent years has only been used by domestic waste trains going formerly to Calvert landfill, and now to the new waste recycling plant. Used only some very small number of times per week.

bagpuss
After Pie

Post by bagpuss » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:13 am

IvanV wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:51 am
bagpuss wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:37 am
El Pollo Diablo wrote:
And work is going well on East West Rail.
If you've been up the Bicester eastern by-pass recently (I've long gone that way to get to J10 of the M40, when there's congestion further down) there's a new bridge. It replaces that very basic single track level crossing just south of the Launton roundabout, which in recent years has only been used by domestic waste trains going formerly to Calvert landfill, and now to the new waste recycling plant. Used only some very small number of times per week.
We go via Thame to the M40 when we're going north - there's not a lot in it but it's usually slightly quicker that way from here and avoids the vagaries of Aylesbury traffic, and it's rare that there are problems on that bit of the M40 at times we travel. And on the few occasions when we've needed to travel to somewhere near J10, we've gone west to Middleton Stoney and then up because there's little difference and we know that way better for reasons of old. I think the only times we've ever been round the Eastern bypass are when going to classic car events at Bicester Heritage and it's been at least 3 years since we've done that.

TimW
Catbabel

Post by TimW » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:35 am

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:01 am
Small issue at Tottenham North Curve Tunnel
Just needs a bit of filler.

veravista
Catbabel

Post by veravista » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:15 pm

After Mrs V and I looked at rail tickets to go from Derby to Edinburgh next week it appears we may be paying for most of the above works on our own. Both got senior railcards, £170 return each (includes a change on the way up). Started by looking at first class but that was £400 each.....

TimW
Catbabel

Post by TimW » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:27 pm

veravista wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:15 pm
... Derby to Edinburgh ...
Maybe you should go up the East Coast instead. Newark's only 30 miles, must be easy to get to ;-)

veravista
Catbabel

Post by veravista » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:14 pm

Probably, only 45 minutes from here, may £24 parking and it's still £95 return each. But compare that to a 2 hour longer journey and £60 worth of diesel, door to door? Pre-lock down it was worth doing the train, we could do 1st class for £60 each..

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:34 pm

TimW wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:27 pm
veravista wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:15 pm
... Derby to Edinburgh ...
Maybe you should go up the East Coast instead. Newark's only 30 miles, must be easy to get to ;-)
Any mention of going via Newark strikes fear into the heart of a US-based traveller.

veravista
Catbabel

Post by veravista » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:01 am

I know what you mean :)

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:57 am

Aitch wrote:

5b - The Iron Bridge
by SteveH, on Flickr

NewBridge.jpg

I don't think it's even ambiguous mate.
Just reckon you've missed a bit & misinterpreted.
staines new bridge.jpg
staines new bridge.jpg (90.92 KiB) Viewed 2758 times
The bit I've ringed in red says "existing handrail & the bit I've ringed in blue seems to be the pavement between the pillars and the handrail

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:24 am

tom p wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:57 am
Aitch wrote:

5b - The Iron Bridge
by SteveH, on Flickr

NewBridge.jpg

I don't think it's even ambiguous mate.
Just reckon you've missed a bit & misinterpreted.
staines new bridge.jpg
The bit I've ringed in red says "existing handrail & the bit I've ringed in blue seems to be the pavement between the pillars and the handrail
The 'as is' photo shows a pavement on both sides of the road, so I would say "yes, they are looking at removing a pavement on one side".
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:39 am

Looks to me like they've rotated the view for part of the drawing, so the bit underneath the left hand end of the yellow stripes, labelled "new cell beam" and "existing concrete springing stone" (?), is as viewed from underneath the bridge rather than approaching it. You can see the kerb drop matching the other side.

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:39 am

I thought it was so skinny it wouldn't really count as pavement, if you know what i mean. Those kind of bits which are technically pavement, but really aren't, a bit like those cycle lanes that are utterly unusable that Ivan posted a link to the other day.

Aitch
Snowbonk

Post by Aitch » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:45 am

Sciolus wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:39 am
Looks to me like they've rotated the view for part of the drawing, so the bit underneath the left hand end of the yellow stripes, labelled "new cell beam" and "existing concrete springing stone" (?), is as viewed from underneath the bridge rather than approaching it. You can see the kerb drop matching the other side.
Yes, that makes sense, in an odd sort of way.
I prefer unconventional.

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:47 am

If my interpretation is correct, they're leaving the pavements on both sides untouched. Weird drawing though.

veravista
Catbabel

Post by veravista » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:22 am

Pavement still on both sides, one with hand rail and one without. The bit sticking out is the abutment past the bridge so looks like it covers the pavement on the left but doesn't.