The Death Of Fossil Fuels

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
shpalman
Princess POW

Re: The Death Of Fossil Fuels

Post by shpalman » Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:51 pm

having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:20 pm

Second hand car breaks down and needs expensive part replaced! News at 10!

The batteries are warrantied for 8 years or 150,000 miles, this guy lucked out and bought a dodgy one out of warranty. There are Tesla taxis that have done 300,000+ miles on the original battery with a 10% degradation. From the link...
Over the years, the Model S has shown a battery degradation of less than 20% over 300,000 miles from Tesla owner reports on Plug-In America. If these numbers continued at a constant rate, a Tesla could reach 450,000 miles before reaching the 30% degradation that Tesla deems unacceptable under its Battery and Drive Unit Warranty (450,000 miles is 3x the warranty period for mileage; for more details, see the warranty section below).

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:29 pm

There are people who will diagnose and replace individual bad cells in Tesla batteries as well.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:14 pm

And it might not actually have to cost that much:. clicky

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:17 am

The $5000 price is about the same price as fitting a second hand reconditioned engine or transmission in a Honda or Subaru.

The Tesla price is about the dealership book price for replacing an engine/transmission in a Ford truck or a Mercedes - i.e. vehicles with similar as new prices as a Tesla.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:12 am

That's what I was thinking. It will always be possible to buy an expensive car cheaply because it's out of warranty and find that it soon needs a big ticket repair that's more than you paid for the car. That doesn't mean it's inevitable and it doesn't seem like electric cars are going to change that calculation much.

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:12 pm

Martin Y wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:12 am
That's what I was thinking. It will always be possible to buy an expensive car cheaply because it's out of warranty and find that it soon needs a big ticket repair that's more than you paid for the car. That doesn't mean it's inevitable and it doesn't seem like electric cars are going to change that calculation much.
Once they have all the gremlins worked out of the battery tech, electric cars should last longer than ICE cars, simply because they have way fewer moving parts in the drive train. Hundreds if not thousands of parts in an ICE (valves, cams, chains, pumps, shafts, etc…) tens in a BEV.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:22 pm

bjn wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:12 pm
Martin Y wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:12 am
Once they have all the gremlins worked out of the battery tech, electric cars should last longer than ICE cars, simply because they have way fewer moving parts in the drive train. Hundreds if not thousands of parts in an ICE (valves, cams, chains, pumps, shafts, etc…) tens in a BEV.
And less extreme operating conditions (no high pressure and less heat) and less onerous maintenance requirements.

On maintenance, the hybrid portion of our Prius requires a change of coolant at 150k miles. The ICE part needs 5k oil changes, coolant change at 100k, and several other service items before the hybrid portion needs anything. Not doing those will kill the ICE before the hybrid system needs anything at all.

It's pretty easy to find cars that haven't had that maintenance done, or at least done on time.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:34 am

Plans in England for car chargers in all commercial car parks quietly rolled back
Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced plans last month for a charging point to be required for every new or refurbished residential building from next year amid great fanfare, saying the regulations were “world-leading”.

However, the decision to drop the requirement for existing non-residential buildings means the UK could fall behind the EU, which is introducing a rule for existing buildings to install cable routes for chargers after 2025.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:20 am

Yesterday GB* set a new record for low carbon intensity, 39gCO2/kWh

*doesn’t include NI.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:24 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt_c3gaO32g

A surprisingly plausible concept car from Mercedes (EQXX)

1000km range on 100kWh battery.

The aim is for the PV roof to give an extra 25km.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:30 pm

Pointless range. I'd rather get 200 miles delivered from a 10 minute recharge and carry half the battery.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:37 pm

lpm wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:30 pm
Pointless range. I'd rather get 200 miles delivered from a 10 minute recharge and carry half the battery.
It's a concept car. 1000km is an eyecatching range. I hate to think what it would cost.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:11 pm

Greenland's banned all fossil exploration, which is cool.

Of course, everybody else should have done last year too, at least according to the International Energy Agency. But it's a start I guess.

https://www.optimistdaily.com/2021/12/g ... ploration/
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:36 pm

jimbob wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:37 pm
lpm wrote:
It's a concept car. 1000km is an eyecatching range. I hate to think what it would cost.
It does rather put into perspective the tiny benefit of having solar panels on a car's roof to charge its battery if this super-efficient concept could only extend its range by 25km with a PV roof in the time it takes to drive 1,000km.

On the upside, it's good to see at least the hope that future cars will not all have to be potato-shaped SUVs only distinguishable by their badge.

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:34 am

Martin Y wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:36 pm
jimbob wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:37 pm
lpm wrote:
It does rather put into perspective the tiny benefit of having solar panels on a car's roof to charge its battery if this super-efficient concept could only extend its range by 25km with a PV roof in the time it takes to drive 1,000km.

On the upside, it's good to see at least the hope that future cars will not all have to be potato-shaped SUVs only distinguishable by their badge.
Recharging 25km/day would more than do for me most of the year actually.

The PS-SUVs are all a bit big and a bit dull.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:06 am

jimbob wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:24 pm

Prototype rather than concept, the difference being that a prototype is a working car not just a model. Jack even claims in that video that they’re going to licence it for the road and do real world driving in it.

Prototype racing frequently delivers technology for road cars, and prototype cars like this do too.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:19 am

Grumble wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:06 am
jimbob wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:24 pm

Prototype rather than concept, the difference being that a prototype is a working car not just a model. Jack even claims in that video that they’re going to licence it for the road and do real world driving in it.

Prototype racing frequently delivers technology for road cars, and prototype cars like this do too.
Good point. Technology demonstrator maybe is a better term

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:32 pm

lpm wrote:
It apparently will do nearly that - it's higher spec than the Porsche Taycan and that will add 120 miles in 10 mins. Of course there's bugger all infrastructure for that kind of charging speed at the moment...

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:56 pm

bjn wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:34 am
I don't think they suggest it could charge 25km per day. Looked like it was expected to add 25km to its 1,000km range.

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:13 pm

Martin Y wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:56 pm
bjn wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:34 am
I don't think they suggest it could charge 25km per day. Looked like it was expected to add 25km to its 1,000km range.
From Mercedes themselves...
The electric system that powers many of the ancillaries in the VISION EQXX draws additional energy from 117 solar cells on the roof. It was developed in collaboration with the Fraunhofer Institute for Solar Energy Systems ISE – Europe's largest solar energy research institute. The net result of reducing the energy drain on the high-voltage system is an increase in range. On a single day and under ideal conditions, this can add up to 25 km of range on long-distance journeys.
I assume you don't need to be actually driving for the panels to charge the car.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:26 pm

Ah, okay, they really did mean 25km in a day (ideal conditions etc). Yes, I assume the system works while the car's not in use.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:39 pm

Martin Y wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:26 pm
Ah, okay, they really did mean 25km in a day (ideal conditions etc). Yes, I assume the system works while the car's not in use.
From the description, it uses the PV on the roof for 'ancillary' systems - so it only works to reduce the burden on the main batteries for (I assume) things like lights, radio, internet connectivity, sensors etc.
So I'd say it only works while the car is in use.

It would be great if you knew that running out of power could be resolved by the simple matter of leaving it under the sun for a day or two to give you 10 or 20km range, but it doesn't seem that that's what it does. .
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:45 pm

Oh look, the first crowdfunded wind turbine (that I know of) has been erected. I’m in for the second wave.

https://youtu.be/65rlHr6ey4I

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:48 am

Gfamily wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:39 pm
Martin Y wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:26 pm
From the description, it uses the PV on the roof for 'ancillary' systems - so it only works to reduce the burden on the main batteries for (I assume) things like lights, radio, internet connectivity, sensors etc.
So I'd say it only works while the car is in use.

It would be great if you knew that running out of power could be resolved by the simple matter of leaving it under the sun for a day or two to give you 10 or 20km range, but it doesn't seem that that's what it does. .
There was a prototype camper van that a Dutch university put together that could charge its batteries from solar panels on the roof. It drove from the Netherlands to the South of Spain on solar power.