Brexit benefits

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
dyqik
Princess POW

Re: Brexit benefits

Post by dyqik » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:49 pm

TimW wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:34 am
No, it's in the news that we can also scrap VAT on household energy bills.
Boris the lying fascist wrote: When we Vote Leave, we will be able to scrap this unfair and damaging tax.
...and...
You - Sun readers - will be able to vote for the people who make these crucial rules instead of watching politicians promise things they cannot deliver.
Remind me which party it is that brought in the last few VAT increases?

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:12 pm

Lew Dolby wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:28 pm
So the greatest benefits they can come up with are: blue passports; marking goods for sale in lb and oz; crowns marked on beer glasses. All of which we were free to do as members of the EU. Pity they didn't define victory as such before the vote.
The BBC has finally grown a collective corporate pair and called out a teeny bit of brexit b.llsh.t as the lies that they are. Including the crown claim.
Just a shame they didn't call out the b.llsh.t 15 years ago & just ran with yet another story based on anti-eu claims by lying c.nts.
Expect vicious reprisals

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:34 pm

I have just taken a delivery of package of a selection of teas direct from China, and I didn't have to pay import VAT on it. If we were still in the EU, then since last July, I would have been stung for a customs bill covering import VAT and an admin fee to be permitted to received the package. I know it isn't terribly usual behaviour to buy tea direct from China. But a lot of the tea I like to drink is Funny Stuff that is not available here, so I buy it direct from a Chinese supplier, Yunnan Sourcing. It is also a lot cheaper for anything that is available here, especially when I buy it in quantities like 1kg, as I do for our main tea. Yunnan Sourcing is actually run by an American with a Chinese wife, and he has set it up to supply high quality Chinese teas to international customers. Unfortunately because of the reduction in air services out of China, the last packet took about 10 weeks to come instead of the usual 2 weeks.

This is actually a 2-way issue, good on one side, bad on the other. Being able to continue receiving the tea I regularly buy from China without some admin and tax fee demanded to receive them is the good bit. The bad bit is that now when we attempt to send a small gift from Britain to the EU, like my wife sending birthday and christmas gifts to her family in Czech, then they get stung for a customs fee to receive the packet. She recently included a few sweets in a birthday card packet, worth about £5, and the relative had to pay £10 to receive them, which was probably less than £1 tax and the rest customs admin fee.

The EU put in place a rule requiring import VAT to be charged on all imports from outside the EU. I think it has to be charged at at least the standard rate, even if the goods are in a class that would normally benefit from a lower or zero rate. This is allegedly to protect EU e-sellers from what was perceived as unfair competition from China, etc. I think there is something about international postal rules that gives Chinese suppliers an unfair advantage. If the EU seller has not registered for VAT with the country of import, or with an EU-based e-selling platform that collects VAT for the relevant coutnry, so that they can charge it to the customer at time of sale and remit it, then the customer gets a bill from customs, plus an admin charge, to receive it.

Tea is zero rated for VAT in Britain, and no duty either. So as previously, Britain not adhering to this new rule, I can just take delivery of the tea without any customs charges.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:08 pm

Quoting myself on the rewilding thread:
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:01 pm
Farm payments for rewilding! https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ewild-land
Bids are being invited for 10-15 pilot projects, each covering at least 500 hectares and up to 5,000 hectares, to a total of approximately 10,000 hectares in the first two-year phase – about 10 times the size of Richmond Park in London. These pilots could involve full rewilding or other forms of management that focus on species recovery and wildlife habitats.

Rare fauna such as sand lizards, water voles and curlews will be targeted, with the aim of improving the status of about half of the most threatened species in England.

The exact funding has not been disclosed, as bids will be compared to determine value for money before a final decision on which should go ahead is made this summer. However, the total amount available for such schemes is expected to reach £700m to £800m a year by 2028. By 2042, the government aims to have up to 300,000 hectares of England covered by such “landscape recovery” projects – an area roughly the size of Lancashire.
It's early stages, not much money and the devil will be in the details. But this is potentially very good news for the British countryside, as the current farming model doesn't really work for anyone.
Replacing CAP with something better is a genuine (easy) win.

The EU's system hands huge wodges of public money to rural landowners and incentivises the wholesale destruction of nature. The intensiveness of UK agriculture is one of the main drivers of the country's catastrophic loss of biodiversity.

The agri-environment schemes within CAP basically don't work, and previously attempts to design additional measures were (at least perceived as) at risk of falling foul of the EU's state aid rules.

The UK's new fishing rules also seem more sustainable than the CFP (which is also sh.t).

So at least so far, I'm surprised to find myself noting that Brexit could actually turn out to be good news for Britain's actual sunlit uplands.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:58 pm

Portugal's year+ delay to issue brefugees their residence permits is starting to get to people

https://www.theportugalnews.com/news/20 ... letter-661

WFJ
Catbabel

Post by WFJ » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:06 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:58 pm
Portugal's year+ delay to issue brefugees their residence permits is starting to get to people

https://www.theportugalnews.com/news/20 ... letter-661
If he moved in June 2021, how is he covered by the WA? If he isn't, he probably shouldn't be making a fuss about his "illegal" status.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:13 pm

I think he's entitled to residence because he's married. If he were an EU citizen his passport and a doc from the town hall would suffice, but now he's third cuntry he needs the doc.

It took a year for my wife who was in the same boat, being Mexican, and that was before brexit.

I've been waiting since 3rd Jan 2021 with no contact. It can been stressful, especially if the doctors won't give him a healthcare number. (He can still get the vaccine because they're jabbing folks with no documents.)

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:29 pm

Twitter seems to be awash with photos of massive lorry tailbacks around Dover and complaints that it's not making the news.

Is this in any way correct? Is this a Brexit upshot that has just so far been pushed off the front pages by partygate and the subsequent bullying allegations? Or is it bobbins and blown out of all proportion?

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:49 pm

Traffic looks fine on Google maps, apart from right at the port, which seems normal. Might've been busy earlier, if course.

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:39 pm

There were complaints about the cameras being turned off so we couldn't see the queues; denial here: https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dover/news ... ff-261098/
The images of HGVs at Folkestone – queued up due to Dover TAP being in force – were not showing on the agency's trafficengland.com site earlier this week.

In response, National Highways admitted there had been a problem with some cameras – but denied they had been out of action on purpose.

"No cameras have been turned off. There are a couple of defective ones we are awaiting parts or replacements of and 1 was taken down as the pole it was mounted on was unsafe."
More here https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dover/news ... ns-260910/
As freight traffic builds at the Port of Dover, the town's Traffic Access Protocol known as Dover TAP, has once again been implemented and here is what it means.

The scheme on the A20 at Aycliffe is often brought in when there is a risk of congestion in the town centre because of high volumes of lorries looking to cross the Channel into Europe.

The difference between Brock and TAP is that TAP is used on a regular basis because of the sheer volume of freight traffic heading into Dover.

Operation Brock on the other hand is used when cross-Channel disruption is expected.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:29 pm

Early days yet, but it's possible that I've found one.
3 weeks ago I got flashed by a speed camera in France (doing >80km/h where the limit was reduced to 70km/h for a junction).

I read somewhere that the data sharing of UK vehicle registrations is something that Brexit ended, so I may not get a fine for it.
Whether it's really a benefit is a moot point.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!