Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Little waster
After Pie

Re: The cost of living

Post by Little waster » Thu May 12, 2022 10:41 am

Meanwhile

:shock: I'm not entirely sure what I've just watched. :shock:

Cocaine, kids. Just say no!
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Thu May 12, 2022 3:07 pm

Little waster wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 10:41 am
Meanwhile

I heard his (Gove’s) now ex-wife describing him as a modern day Dante. I’m not sure how good Dante was at doing funny voices, so maybe Gove is even more of a cultural touchstone.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Thu May 12, 2022 3:11 pm

Grumble wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 3:07 pm
Little waster wrote:
Meanwhile

I heard his (Gove’s) now ex-wife describing him as a modern day Dante.
Are you sure she didn't mean he's just a bit slow? <<- bad musical joke
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu May 12, 2022 3:28 pm

Grumble wrote:
Little waster wrote:
Meanwhile

I heard his (Gove’s) now ex-wife describing him as a modern day Dante. I’m not sure how good Dante was at doing funny voices, so maybe Gove is even more of a cultural touchstone.
Which circle is he moving through now? Eighth or Ninth?

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Thu May 12, 2022 3:36 pm

Grumble wrote:
Little waster wrote:
Meanwhile

I've heard a lot of discussion that this was a deliberate dead cat ploy by Gove to distract from the message that he was delivering that the election manifesto promise of building 300k houses per year wouldn't be delivered and in fact could never have be delivered and as such that they weren't even going to attempt to try and deliver it.

And it has "worked" in the sense that nobody is currently discussing the utter failure of the government's flag-ship housing policy ... no instead we are all discussing the fact that one of the most senior and supposedly able Tory ministers, the one tasked with delivering the levelling-up agenda that is supposedly will define the entire government's whole programme, is actually an unhinged, coked-up maniac.

Given Gove's fondness for badly-dated cultural references I should probably post a picture of a tired-and-emotional Charlie Sheen saying "Winning!" now.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Thu May 26, 2022 12:01 pm

Hooray!

Labour (and LibDems) have won a little bit of power and can get their policies adopted.

This is a pretty decent bit of help to the poorest. Congratulations to the opposition for getting it done.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Thu May 26, 2022 12:10 pm

lpm wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 12:01 pm
Hooray!

Labour (and LibDems) have won a little bit of power and can get their policies adopted.

This is a pretty decent bit of help to the poorest. Congratulations to the opposition for getting it done.
I presume that now it's adopted, as Starmer told Johnson, Johnson can now call Starmer, "Captain Hindsight" again.

Because that seems to be his approach.

Labour and others say that specific action is required
Johnson refuses
Labour reiterate
Johnson refuses
Situation worsens
Johnson acts
Starmer points out the impact of the delay
Johnson calls him Captain Hindsight
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Thu May 26, 2022 1:48 pm

Apart from when you call it ahead of time - that's foresight.
You can't polish a turd...
unless its Lion or Osterich poo... http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... -turd.html

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Thu May 26, 2022 2:34 pm

TopBadger wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 1:48 pm
Apart from when you call it ahead of time - that's foresight.
Nah, you just ignore it until criticized for acting too late and then pretend they didn't tell you before
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:04 am

Bank of England:

Peak inflation now forecast to to be 11%.

Expects Q2 GDP to fall by 0.3%.

This is really f.cking bad. They need to slam up interest rates much faster than 0.25% increments, raise taxes at the top end, drive into a recession but with far higher government welfare spending at the low end. Basically crash consumption spending (C), boost government spending (G), and use classic Keynes to get us out of the recession/stagflation in 2023-24.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:26 am

They won't though, will they?

They'll use it as an excuse to cut taxes at the top end, cut red tape and sell public assets.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:49 pm

lpm wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:04 am
Bank of England:

sh.t. I remember being taught about stagflation by lecturers in the early 1990s. They were describing the situation 15 years previously, and it seems that since the 1990s its been little more than a historical curiosity.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:06 pm

lpm wrote:
Bank of England:

This is really f.cking bad. They need to slam up interest rates much faster than 0.25% increments, raise taxes at the top end, drive into a recession but with far higher government welfare spending at the low end. Basically crash consumption spending (C), boost government spending (G), and use classic Keynes to get us out of the recession/stagflation in 2023-24.
If they can wait a couple of weeks to slam up interest rates until we've got an offer on our house and a mortgage offer on the table, that'd be great
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:14 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:49 pm
lpm wrote:
Bank of England:

sh.t. I remember being taught about stagflation by lecturers in the early 1990s. They were describing the situation 15 years previously, and it seems that since the 1990s its been little more than a historical curiosity.
I for one am shocked that pointlessly sticking up trade barriers with our nearest and largest market and cutting ourselves off from a large and mobile employment pool would reduce GDP and raise inflation.

I'm guessing the only E all these PPE graduates from Oxford Uni must get exposed to are the ones with the smiley faces on that Ravey Dave used to slip to them in the Student Union on a Friday night.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:37 pm

Little waster wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:14 pm
Woodchopper wrote:
lpm wrote:
Bank of England:

I for one am shocked that pointlessly sticking up trade barriers with our nearest and largest market and cutting ourselves off from a large and mobile employment pool would reduce GDP and raise inflation.

I'm guessing the only E all these PPE graduates from Oxford Uni must get exposed to are the ones with the smiley faces on that Ravey Dave used to slip to them in the Student Union on a Friday night.
I'm sure Brexit hasn't helped, but Inflation is a global problem, you can't blame it just on that.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:49 pm

monkey wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:37 pm
Little waster wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:14 pm
Woodchopper wrote:

I'm sure Brexit hasn't helped, but Inflation is a global problem, you can't blame it just on that.
No but it worsens all the global economic challenges we face whether it is the pandemic, the war in Ukraine or world inflation.

It is what is tipping a problem into a crisis and accounts for why we have been doing relatively worse than most comparable economies constantly since 2016 on all major metrics and will continue to do so until at least 2024 when many of the economic headwinds will have dissipated for everybody else.

Doing an obstacle course is hard but attempting it after you’ve tied your shoelaces together and picked up a hod of bricks is just stupid. Complaining then that the reason you’re second-last is because the monkey bars were a bit slippy isn’t going to fool anyone.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:26 pm

Consumer confidence is the lowest ever, apparently. Lower than during the 2008 global recession. Lower than during austerity. Lower than after the Brexit vote. Lower than during the depth of the pandemic. Also, according to the Guardian, lower than "manufacturing wipe out of the early 1980s, [and] the housing crash of the early 1990s".

https://twitter.com/HelloMcQueen/status ... 8614669316

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:35 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:26 pm
Consumer confidence is the lowest ever, apparently. Lower than during the 2008 global recession. Lower than during austerity. Lower than after the Brexit vote. Lower than during the depth of the pandemic. Also, according to the Guardian, lower than "manufacturing wipe out of the early 1980s, [and] the housing crash of the early 1990s".

https://twitter.com/HelloMcQueen/status ... 8614669316
ALL. THE. BIG. CALLS. RIGHT.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:43 am

Just to bring threads annoyingly together...

One of the things Johnson blamed the recent by-election defeats on was the cost of living crisis, but now he's going to move on. He's going to be in for a shock if he thinks that that we've seen the worst of this crisis.

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:47 am

FlammableFlower wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:43 am
Just to bring threads annoyingly together...

One of the things Johnson blamed the recent by-election defeats on was the cost of living crisis, but now he's going to move on. He's going to be in for a shock if he thinks that that we've seen the worst of this crisis.
Well, he's a hack, innee? He thinks that when the next crisis comes along, the old one must be over, like living through daily headlines.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:20 pm

Heatflation: How sizzling temperatures drive up food prices
In Italy, the hot and dry conditions are expected to destroy a third of the seasonal harvest of rice, corn, and animal fodder — at a minimum. Locusts have descended on the island of Sardinia in the worst invasion in three decades, hurting the production of hay and alfalfa. The European Commission recently downgraded its soft-wheat harvest estimates from 130 million tons to 125 million tons — more bad news amid a food shortage precipitated by Russia’s blockade on exports from Ukraine.
In a report last year, researchers at the European Central Bank examined the evidence that abnormal temperatures can drive inflation. Looking at seasonal temperatures and price indicators in 48 countries, they found that hot summers had “by far the largest and longest-lasting impact” on food prices. The effect lasted almost a year and was especially noticeable in developing countries. “We find that higher temperatures over recent decades have played a non-negligible role in driving price developments,” the authors concluded.
New normal, innit.

I think it's reasonable to expect food prices in general to stay higher and less predictable than we got used to in recent decades.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:16 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:20 pm
Heatflation: How sizzling temperatures drive up food prices
In Italy, the hot and dry conditions are expected to destroy a third of the seasonal harvest of rice, corn, and animal fodder — at a minimum. Locusts have descended on the island of Sardinia in the worst invasion in three decades, hurting the production of hay and alfalfa. The European Commission recently downgraded its soft-wheat harvest estimates from 130 million tons to 125 million tons — more bad news amid a food shortage precipitated by Russia’s blockade on exports from Ukraine.
In a report last year, researchers at the European Central Bank examined the evidence that abnormal temperatures can drive inflation. Looking at seasonal temperatures and price indicators in 48 countries, they found that hot summers had “by far the largest and longest-lasting impact” on food prices. The effect lasted almost a year and was especially noticeable in developing countries. “We find that higher temperatures over recent decades have played a non-negligible role in driving price developments,” the authors concluded.
New normal, innit.

I think it's reasonable to expect food prices in general to stay higher and less predictable than we got used to in recent decades.
Something something ... shouldn’t tackle climate change ... something ... protect the economy ... something.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:25 pm

Almost like long term growth requires long term thinking.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:50 am

Quick question from me on inflation - how does the current high inflation affect government income from taxes, etc?

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:52 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:50 am
Quick question from me on inflation - how does the current high inflation affect government income from taxes, etc?
Returns from VAT increase automatically. Revenue from income tax will increase in line with pay rises. Corporation tax will be complicated.

Government borrowing will be cheaper in the long run. Current rate on a UK 10 year bond is just below 2%. With inflation at about 10% at least in the short term investors are basically paying the UK government for the privilege of lending the UK money.