Latest Windows 10 Update

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
Aitch
Snowbonk

Latest Windows 10 Update

Post by Aitch » Wed May 11, 2022 8:17 pm

So I did the updates this morning. Two 'quality' updates, one for .NET and one for Windows. It's a slow PC, so took about forty-five minutes while I had breakfast and did the sudoku. Then I did the restart, as usual.

However... After the usual bits of the restart. which took about ten minutes, it did a 'Cleaning Up' bit for about another ten minutes, something I've never seen before. Anyone know what's going on under the guise of 'Cleaning Up'?

Oh, and it's added a little picture to the end of the search box on the task bar. Strange.
search.jpg
search.jpg (29.78 KiB) Viewed 2192 times
Some people call me strange.
I prefer unconventional.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept eccentric

shpalman
Princess POW

Re: Latest Windows 10 Update

Post by shpalman » Wed May 11, 2022 8:31 pm

I hovered over it and it popped up something about Take Control Of Your Data With Microsoft Edge and then disappeared.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Aitch
Snowbonk

Post by Aitch » Fri May 13, 2022 8:24 am

It would appear, from conversing with other people, that the Clean Up is nothing new, just doesn't always happen and I hadn't seen it before.

As for the picture, having done a Google (which I suppose I should have done before :oops: ), the answer is, according to the Microsoft Answers page...
"You need to right click the Taskbar> Search > Search Highlights to off." And the 'Open on Hover' too. It toggles on and off.
Some people call me strange.
I prefer unconventional.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept eccentric

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Fri May 13, 2022 9:48 am

shpalman wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 8:31 pm
I hovered over it and it popped up something about Take Control Of Your Data With Microsoft Edge and then disappeared.
Things like that give me an itch.

I tend to imagine it's an alert that means you have to give this your attention now and abandon whatever you intended to do today because when you don't take this nebulous opportunity to "take control of your data" (whatever that means) we're taking that as assent for us to take control of your data instead.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri May 13, 2022 9:51 am

I think the "cleaning up" is just deleting installer files and compressed archives and other cruft it needed to update but is no longer necessary.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.