The Invasion of Ukraine

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Woodchopper
Princess POW

Re: The Invasion of Ukraine

Post by Woodchopper » Tue May 24, 2022 8:14 am

I'm a bit skeptical about that plan. As mentioned in the article it would take a policy change by Turkey, which hasn't exactly been very cooperative.

Also, it might not help that much. Much of Ukraine's pre-war port capacity is under Russian occupation or has been destroyed (eg Kherson, Mariupol). That does leave Odesa etc, but the port infrastructure and railway lines leading from agricultural areas are vulnerable to Russian air attack (by missiles or aircraft).

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Tue May 24, 2022 10:14 am

It sounds like a non-starter to me. Persuading Turkey to open the Bosporus to warships is almost the least of the problems, compared to what you might expect them to do in the Black Sea other than start a wider war and get sunk by air or missile attack.

I can imagine a slight chance that a nation like Egypt which has historical friendly relations with Russia might manage to negotiate safe passage for grain carriers if Russia is persuaded that allowing humanitarian food shipments out would be good PR.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Tue May 24, 2022 11:21 am

Martin Y wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 10:14 am
I can imagine a slight chance that a nation like Egypt which has historical friendly relations with Russia might manage to negotiate safe passage for grain carriers if Russia is persuaded that allowing humanitarian food shipments out would be good PR.
Maybe, though I suspect that Russia may see food shipments as a form of leverage to be used to get the rest of the world to accept a deal (eg if Russia were to annex the areas it currently controls and offer to allow wheat exports to those states that recognize the annexation).

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Tue May 24, 2022 6:57 pm

Webinar on Environmental dimensions of the conflict in Ukraine. I think it's free to non-members.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Wed May 25, 2022 2:04 pm

Putin has signed a decree which opens the way for issuing Russian passports to people in the occupied parts of Kherson and Zaporizhya regions.
https://twitter.com/leonidragozin/statu ... EpFAHEYPng

Which is a step toward annexing the territory.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Wed May 25, 2022 5:31 pm

Pretty much a direct consequence of the invasion of Ukraine is the announcement today of the cancellation of the Finnish MotoGP. The track facilities aren’t finished yet, it’s more difficult getting materials into Finland currently, and a large number of attendees were expected to be Russian. Effectively it was a way of having a Russian MotoGP without holding it in Russia.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Sat May 28, 2022 4:08 pm

Reportedly Putin's pledged not to use the removal of Ukrainian minefields - something that would have to occur for grain exports from Odesa - to attack.

It would be an awful lot more convincing if they hadn't used the clearing of mined roads round Mariupol for evacuation of civilians as an opportunity to attack.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Mon May 30, 2022 12:55 pm

Thread on the role of Twitter which rings true: https://twitter.com/tobiaschneider/stat ... JypiX_y-lQ

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Tue May 31, 2022 7:29 am

f.ck Orban.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue May 31, 2022 7:40 am

bjn wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 7:29 am
f.ck Orban.
I notice that the pipeline in question goes through Ukraine. It would be an awful shame if something were to happen to it. Cant imagine the Ukrainians are too pleased about a Russian money pump flowing through their territory.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Tue May 31, 2022 8:52 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 7:40 am
bjn wrote:
f.ck Orban.
I notice that the pipeline in question goes through Ukraine. It would be an awful shame if something were to happen to it. Cant imagine the Ukrainians are too pleased about a Russian money pump flowing through their territory.
Can't imagine they would like to have millions of gallons of oil flowing onto their land & bespoiling it either

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue May 31, 2022 11:18 am

tom p wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 8:52 am
Bird on a Fire wrote:
bjn wrote:
f.ck Orban.
Can't imagine they would like to have millions of gallons of oil flowing onto their land & bespoiling it either
Pipelines do have valves etc. on them.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue May 31, 2022 12:10 pm

Yeah I was thinking something a bit more sophisticated than blowing it up, but I'm not an engineer.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Tue May 31, 2022 1:00 pm

dyqik wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 11:18 am
tom p wrote:
Bird on a Fire wrote:

Aye, but if you can access the valve & close it, what happens? Pressure builds up along the pipe & are you certain there's not a weak spot somewhere along the Ukranian stretch?

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Tue May 31, 2022 1:35 pm

I guess if you can access all the valves on your stretch, you can prevent the pressure build up sufficiently to prevent a spill there.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue May 31, 2022 2:44 pm

tom p wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 1:00 pm
dyqik wrote:
tom p wrote:

Aye, but if you can access the valve & close it, what happens? Pressure builds up along the pipe & are you certain there's not a weak spot somewhere along the Ukranian stretch?
That's really not how it works.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue May 31, 2022 2:45 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 1:35 pm
I guess if you can access all the valves on your stretch, you can prevent the pressure build up sufficiently to prevent a spill there.
And the pumping systems have pressure shutoffs, to prevent that ever happening.

In any case, it's likely that the static maximum pressure limit of the pumps is lower than the burst pressure of the pipeline.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Tue May 31, 2022 3:11 pm

dyqik wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 2:45 pm
El Pollo Diablo wrote:

In any case, it's likely that the static maximum pressure limit of the pumps is lower than the burst pressure of the pipeline.
That should be the case if built to any kind of standards.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue May 31, 2022 5:15 pm

Grumble wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 3:11 pm
dyqik wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 2:45 pm
El Pollo Diablo wrote:

That should be the case if built to any kind of standards.
And maintained...

Which probably puts the highest risk portions in Russia.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Tue May 31, 2022 8:51 pm

I think I posted this video earlier, which is in Finnish but with English subtitles.

Very interesting. From 2018, a lecture by a retired Finnish intelligence colonel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF9KretXqJw&t=1600s
Lenin once said 'try it with a bayonet, if it's soft, push, if it's hard, leave'
Seems entirely accurate for discussing how Russia has reacted to ramping up support for Ukraine and indeed the other provocations by Russia until getting some pushback
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:37 am

dyqik wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 2:44 pm
tom p wrote:
dyqik wrote:

How does it work?
I'm no engineer, so I'd be keen to understand.
Are such pipes usually full, or might there usually be less oil than the pipe can manage? Does the buildup of pressure get immediately informed to the pumphouse? If so, how? I know this isn't your area of expertise, but you (and others) clearly know far more than me

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:39 am

tom p wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:37 am
dyqik wrote:
tom p wrote:

How does it work?
Are such pipes usually full, or might there usually be less oil than the pipe can manage? Does the buildup of pressure get immediately informed to the pumphouse? If so, how? I know this isn't your area of expertise, but you (and others) clearly know far more than me
Oil pipelines, if running at below 100% capacity, don't run with oil and vapour, they are generally still oil-filled just with a lower velocity. Vapour may form if the pressure reduces such that some oil evaporates, but that would be an unusual thing to do in a processed oil pipeline as two-phase flow is so much more difficult to deal with than single-phase flow.

So the pipeline will be liquid-filled and if you close a valve in the pipeline* the pressure will start building up at the pumphouse pretty quickly. The pressure wave gets communicated at the speed of sound, and while that's slower in oil than in water, it's still ~1400 m/s (~5000 km/h) so the pump will pretty quickly know that there's a blockage.

The pump discharge pressure then starts increasing, making the pump have to work harder to pump each molecule into the pipeline. Eventually, the pressure will reach a point where the pump can't push more liquid into the pipeline. Before this happens, there should be instruments and safety valves to relieve the pressure, but the ultimate safety measure (usually) is that the pipeline can take more pressure than the pump can ever deliver.

Now there can be weak spots due to poor quality pipe or welding, or people can sabotage the pipeline to create weak spots, but otherwise it's very difficult to burst a pipe due to pump pressure alone.

* Any valves tend to be out of the way, behind fences, underground, or otherwise not in locations where just anybody can access them to open/close them.
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:23 am

Martin_B wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:39 am
the ultimate safety measure (usually) is that the pipeline can take more pressure than the pump can ever deliver.
And this is usually backed up by a safety margin. There’s a design pressure but to be certified to meet that it will have to be tested to at least 1.5x the design pressure (different standards vary)

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:32 am

Martin_B wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:39 am
tom p wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:37 am
dyqik wrote:

How does it work?
Oil pipelines, if running at below 100% capacity, don't run with oil and vapour, they are generally still oil-filled just with a lower velocity. Vapour may form if the pressure reduces such that some oil evaporates, but that would be an unusual thing to do in a processed oil pipeline as two-phase flow is so much more difficult to deal with than single-phase flow.

So the pipeline will be liquid-filled and if you close a valve in the pipeline* the pressure will start building up at the pumphouse pretty quickly. The pressure wave gets communicated at the speed of sound, and while that's slower in oil than in water, it's still ~1400 m/s (~5000 km/h) so the pump will pretty quickly know that there's a blockage.

The pump discharge pressure then starts increasing, making the pump have to work harder to pump each molecule into the pipeline. Eventually, the pressure will reach a point where the pump can't push more liquid into the pipeline. Before this happens, there should be instruments and safety valves to relieve the pressure, but the ultimate safety measure (usually) is that the pipeline can take more pressure than the pump can ever deliver.

Now there can be weak spots due to poor quality pipe or welding, or people can sabotage the pipeline to create weak spots, but otherwise it's very difficult to burst a pipe due to pump pressure alone.

* Any valves tend to be out of the way, behind fences, underground, or otherwise not in locations where just anybody can access them to open/close them.
There are also multiple pumping stations (20 total among the several branches) along this line, which is operated within Ukraine by a Ukrainian company. If there's a pumping station in Ukraine, then that can be shut down. There will be shutoff isolation valve locations at multiple points to respond to a break in the line or to isolate sections for maintenance.

There's also a branch point in Western Ukraine that can choose how much oil goes to Germany via Slovakia, or to Hungary. Just redirecting oil would be enough for the pipeline to get shut down by Russia.

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:46 pm

Fascinating, thanks guys