Polio

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Polio

Post by Stranger Mouse » Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:39 pm

Does anyone know what polio vaccination rates have been like in the last few years?

https://twitter.com/martinbagot/status/ ... Wef2bNtfHQ
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

bagpuss
After Pie

Re: Polio

Post by bagpuss » Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:26 pm

Looks like in England it's been above 92% every year for over a decade*. It has dropped off a little in the last couple of years - it was over 94% from 2010/11 to 2014/15 and down to just over 92% from 2018/19 to 2020/21. That's completed courses by first birthday. Add slightly less than 2 percentage points for completed courses by 2nd birthday. Completed by 5th birthday is over 95%, but obviously that doesn't include the drop off in the last few years as the kids included in the "by 1st birthday" stats in those 3 years hadn't reached their 5th birthdays in time to be included in this data.

Looking by region, it looks like London is 3-4 percentage points below the average, so if an outbreak is going to happen anywhere, not surprising that it's there. Given how hugely Covid vax rates varied by London borough, I would expect that polio vax rates are also even lower in some parts of London.

*Scroll to the bottom of the page and download the xlsx to get the full data tables.

Edit: changed the comment about London as it's more relevant than I'd realised - hadn't read the full article before posting, just the headline.

bagpuss
After Pie

Post by bagpuss » Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:39 pm

Finally made it to the end of the spreadsheet and found the more granular stats which break down to London boroughs for the year 2020-21. And bl..dy hell, Hackney is low - a mere 67.8% vaxxed by 1st birthday, compared with England national average for that year of 92%. No other Local Authority has rates below 80%.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:22 pm

Might be a denominator problem. Nobody knows the population of London, let alone children in Hackney.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

bagpuss
After Pie

Post by bagpuss » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:31 pm

lpm wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:22 pm
Might be a denominator problem. Nobody knows the population of London, let alone children in Hackney.
Hmmmm, it's a good point. But to increase the vax rates, there would have to be far fewer young children in Hackney than they're thinking, which seems to be the more unlikely way round. I'll have a look to see what it says about the source of stats, but it would seem logical for them to use the database that they use to invite kids for their vaccinations.

There is a note that the Hackney stats include the City of London, but I'm struggling to see how that would bring the rates crashing down either.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:49 pm

Faecal-oral transmitted disease makes comeback after government decides to allow water companies to dump untreated sewage in rivers and coasts for millions of hours per year.

Gee golly what a headscratcher. Maybe there's a reason the country used to have basic sanitation?
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige

Post by Boustrophedon » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:43 pm

If it really is 'vaccine derived polio virus' then it's a gift to the antivaxxers.
Hjulet snurrar men hamstern är död.

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:32 pm

Unlikely to be derived from a vaccine administered in the UK then, Don. Inactivated polio vaccine doesn't contain live virus, so people who receive this vaccine don't shed the virus, and the UK switched from using the oral polio vaccine to IPV in 2004.

Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige

Post by Boustrophedon » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:09 pm

jdc wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:32 pm
Unlikely to be derived from a vaccine administered in the UK then, Don. Inactivated polio vaccine doesn't contain live virus, so people who receive this vaccine don't shed the virus, and the UK switched from using the oral polio vaccine to IPV in 2004.
But third world countries are still using oral polio vaccine. See here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... IwTI6A2V1c
Hjulet snurrar men hamstern är död.

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:56 am

bagpuss wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:39 pm
Finally made it to the end of the spreadsheet and found the more granular stats which break down to London boroughs for the year 2020-21. And bl..dy hell, Hackney is low - a mere 67.8% vaxxed by 1st birthday, compared with England national average for that year of 92%. No other Local Authority has rates below 80%.
The borough of acne contains Stamford Hill, which is home to a very large ultra-orthodox jewish community, which typically has exceedingly low vaccination rates and very high birth rates. That's going to have a significant impact on the figures.
ETA: I expect acne's sewage goes to beckton too

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:53 pm

The focus is on vaccinating kids but what about adults? I was vaccinated as a kid but that will have worn off by now. Are adults at risk?

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:25 pm

Tessa K wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:53 pm
The focus is on vaccinating kids but what about adults? I was vaccinated as a kid but that will have worn off by now. Are adults at risk?
If the polio being found is basically the live attenuated vaccine used elsewhere for vaccinations, I don't know whether it poses any more of a risk than the vaccine does.

A quick google suggests that polio vaccines last for about 10 years.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:57 pm

I should probably think about being revaccinated then as mine was over half a century ago.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole