Little waster
After Pie

Re: Poor Brexit outcomes

Post by Little waster » Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:08 pm

Little waster wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:41 pm
Beaker wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:46 am
Apparently it’s busy on the roads round Dover. Project Fear predicted this would happen, but clearly it’s the fault of the French for not putting in enough capacity to do their bureaucratic checks :roll:
Leave apparently doesn't mean Leaving.
Just caught the Dover Tory MP Natalie Elphicke babbling nonsense about Brexit opportunities.

I hope her constituents who can't leave their homes because of the gridlock are looking forward to the opportunity to show their gratitude at the polling booth.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:49 pm

Little waster wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:08 pm
Little waster wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:41 pm
Beaker wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:46 am
Apparently it’s busy on the roads round Dover. Project Fear predicted this would happen, but clearly it’s the fault of the French for not putting in enough capacity to do their bureaucratic checks :roll:
Leave apparently doesn't mean Leaving.
Just caught the Dover Tory MP Natalie Elphicke babbling nonsense about Brexit opportunities.

I hope her constituents who can't leave their homes because of the gridlock are looking forward to the opportunity to show their gratitude at the polling booth.
The only way those c.nts wouldn't still vote for a monkey in a blue rosette is if there was a credible NF candidate available.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:10 pm

Little waster wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:08 pm
Stuff like selling bottles of water and sandwiches to people in the queues, I guess. Even tents, maybe.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:27 pm

Good summary of the state British politics is in about Brexit: https://www.newstatesman.com/comment/20 ... -nightmare

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:46 am

This Led By Donkeys thing is quite something. I wondered at first what was up with the picture but it all becomes clear https://twitter.com/bydonkeys/status/15 ... jLb_v6CLyQ
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:49 am

Lexiteer Larry has a moan about the state of the economy without mentioning the B-word once. How strange.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... ic-outlook

I wonder what the economics equivalent of blaming AGW on "sunspots" is?
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:19 pm

The chemicals sector faces a £2bn hit of post-Brexit red tape, twice the cost of initial industry estimates, as Britain sets up its own regulatory regime, ministers have warned.

While Liz Truss and Rishi Sunak have promised to “axe EU red tape” during the Tory leadership campaign, the cost of homegrown British red tape after Brexit is mounting.

A government impact assessment, seen by the Financial Times, has put the central estimate for the costs of registering chemicals on a new UK database — often duplicating existing registrations with the EU — at £2bn.

The chemicals industry last year warned that the new regime — known as UK Reach — would cost about £1bn — but the government now accepts that many more substances will have to be registered than previously thought.

The British regime would be far more costly than the EU Reach system; UK companies spent £500mn complying with the Brussels regime over the previous decade, winning access to 27 markets.

A Defra spokesman said it was “working closely with the sector and NGOs to find a lower cost solution for UK Reach registration, which still ensures high levels of protection for human health and the environment”.

The Defra impact assessment implied a £91,000 bill for each substance registered under UK Reach and that 22,400 “distinct substances” would fall within the scope of the new regime.

Ministers are planning to extend the deadline for registering with UK Reach to spread the cost. The government has pushed back the requirement for full data sets by at least two years until October 2025.

The new UK Reach regime has pitted ministers against a broad swath of manufacturing, from chemical companies to their customers in sectors such as cars, aerospace, food and drink, steel and perfume.

The Chemical Industries Association said it wanted to see robust regulation “but mass and unnecessary re-registering does not equal higher safety and health standards”.

[…]

Under EU Reach chemicals must be registered with the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) in Helsinki, each accompanied by large amounts of testing and data.

During the Brexit trade negotiations of 2020 the UK failed to negotiate reciprocal access to the database, leaving companies facing huge bills to create duplicate data sets to underpin their UK Reach registrations.

Among the challenges for UK Reach is the lack of capacity and expertise at the Health and Safety Executive. A report by the National Audit Office said that registrations could be pushed back to 2027, with the HSE exploring plans for further extending deadlines.
https://www.ft.com/content/f41e3350-c87 ... d3a483ef8d

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:57 pm

Fuuuuuck

veravista
Catbabel

Post by veravista » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:02 pm

Private Eye mentioned this about 3 or 4 years ago, but even they were way off on the estimation of the cost.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:43 am

How The Government's £120m "Festival Of Brexit" Went Rogue
https://festival-of-brexit.politicshome.com/

Not so much a poor outcome, but one which went differently to what was intended

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:43 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:43 am
How The Government's £120m "Festival Of Brexit" Went Rogue
https://festival-of-brexit.politicshome.com/
So at vast cost and with immense political capital expended to deliver something only ever vaguely-defined simply fuelled by a dimly-remembered sense of nostalgia for the 50s we eventually managed to cobble together something embarrassingly amateurish which only barely reminiscent of what was originally promised and the benefits of which only went to a tiny fraction of the population and which many of the original cheer-leaders have taken great steps to distance them from; with one of the few tangible effects being people being now forced to grow their own vegetables and ending with people simply howling their anguished screams into the void in some blighted inner-city area.

You know what I think they pretty much nailed Brexit after all. 8-)

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:00 am

Yep, definitely very fitting end:
Yet, whatever form it takes, I can’t help feel, in the current environment, it won’t be as fitting as the finale of Tour de Moon, which took place on 16 June in East London, on Lower Clapton Road, a street known as “Britain’s Murder Mile”.

On her laptop, Nelly Ben Hayoun shows me footage of one of the finale’s musical acts, as perfect, in my mind, an artistic response to our current times as one could imagine. It is four people, in front of four microphones, simply screaming at the top of their lungs.

“ARGGGGHHGHHHHHHHHHH!” comes the sound from her MacBook Air as it begins to vibrate. “ARGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!” it continues.

“Isn’t that great?” she says.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:49 am

FlammableFlower wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:00 am
Yep, definitely very fitting end:
Yet, whatever form it takes, I can’t help feel, in the current environment, it won’t be as fitting as the finale of Tour de Moon, which took place on 16 June in East London, on Lower Clapton Road, a street known as “Britain’s Murder Mile”.

On her laptop, Nelly Ben Hayoun shows me footage of one of the finale’s musical acts, as perfect, in my mind, an artistic response to our current times as one could imagine. It is four people, in front of four microphones, simply screaming at the top of their lungs.

“ARGGGGHHGHHHHHHHHHH!” comes the sound from her MacBook Air as it begins to vibrate. “ARGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!” it continues.

“Isn’t that great?” she says.
Is that like that song which breaks laptops?
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:44 pm

Britain’s post-Brexit data protection regulations a problem for an electric vehicle manufacturer: https://twitter.com/vmanancourt/status/ ... 33kiB9_5xQ

Interesting how things have such wide ramifications.

Millennie Al
After Pie

Post by Millennie Al » Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:30 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:44 pm
Britain’s post-Brexit data protection regulations a problem for an electric vehicle manufacturer: https://twitter.com/vmanancourt/status/ ... 33kiB9_5xQ

Interesting how things have such wide ramifications.
That specific one is a either not related to Brexit or a good outcome. From the ariticle in the tweet:
The firm's vehicles gather "significant information about our customers and their vehicles," including how people drive, the firm said.
Anything which stops that is a good thing.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:10 pm

having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:41 pm

Meanwhile everything about this appears completely above board and normal.

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... rron-banks

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:46 pm

TBF retaining even a single EU customer is good going with the current shower.

Still I imagine the sudden flood of compensatory best bitter sales to Saudi Arabia, North Korea and Bouvet Island will manifest itself any day today, definitely.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:02 am

Both sides are starting to get a little more sensible. The Eurosceptics (and me) were largely correct that a lot of the technical stuff that currently causes problems at the NI border will eventually get fudged into something workable.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... -brexit-uk

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:54 am

plodder wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:02 am
the Eurosceptics ... were largely correct that ...

... we would remain in the Single Market and Customs Union

... we would retain frictionless access to the Single Market and Customs Union

... we would have an FTA just as good as membership of the Single Market and Customs Union

... the Irish would leave the EU with us

... we would be able to simply throw any paperwork in the bin

... we would solve the NI issue using some combination of drones, blockchain and the London Congestion Zone charge

... we wouldn't even notice the paperwork

... we would make up lost trade through deals with Bouvet Island, North Korea and Narnia

... we would jeopardise the union, undermine the GFA, breach international law, trash our international agreements, cause years of chaos, generate day-long tailbacks at the ports, throw the doors open to smuggling, knock 12% off exports and hand the country over to a far-right clownocracy.
FTFreality

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:56 am

oh look over there it's a whooshing thing, no, up a bit, over your head there. it's got a point on it. there it goes.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:10 am

plodder wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:56 am
oh look over there it's a whooshing thing, no, up a bit, over your head there. it's got a point on it. there it goes.
Is it the thing shaped like a goalpost? Are the badgers up to their old tricks again?

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:50 am

lol

but yes, they are "hard line" goalposts being moved to accommodate reality, which was always going to be the case. There will be concessions here, fudges there (from both sides) and they'll come up with something sensible. The pressure the US is putting on the UK to sort it out will also be applied to the EU, for example.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:01 am

plodder wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:50 am
lol

but yes, they are "hard line" goalposts being moved to accommodate reality, which was always going to be the case. There will be concessions here, fudges there (from both sides) and they'll come up with something sensible. The pressure the US is putting on the UK to sort it out will also be applied to the EU, for example.
FFS! We were told we held all the cards, that it would be the easiest deal ever. I don't know what your views were at the time, but don't pretend that people weren't lied to in what they were told.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:08 am

where I am saying that? I've always said that it'll gradually slide towards a load of fudges, and it looks like that's what's happening. read the article.