The Queen

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
dyqik
Princess POW

Re: The Queen

Post by dyqik » Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:47 am

lpm wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:44 am
There's no need for the Head of State to be elected.

We don't elect the Cabinet Secretary. We don't elect the Ambassador to France. We don't elect the Chair of Save the Children.
While we (US/MA) elect the county register of probate (signs off on wills), auditor and the county sheriff (does the enforcement of court orders).

purplehaze
Fuzzable

Post by purplehaze » Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:57 am

Re the Accession pageantry.

Penny Mordaunt's brother Edward is a convicted sex offender, suspended six month sentence for 2 years. Perhaps she and Charles share something in common?

It's always good to know the Royal family have a commonality with the plebs.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/news/leeds ... y-24965214

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:06 pm

Keep that sh.t off here please.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:23 pm

Bewildered wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:17 am
I don’t agree with the statements that queen did the job well. She didn’t massively f.ck it up or create a crisis, but she clung onto her obscene level of wealth (good for her family / bad for the public) etc and when people talk about public service, for the money these f.cks get I can think of a lot more efforts they could go to on behalf of people in the UK. I’m tempted to give an extended example but it might get me banned…

The f.cking bbc has gone beyond bananas splattering every page with this guff, I want to see whoever is responsible dragged into the streets and…
Yes, giving extended examples is a banning offence on scrutable 😹
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:45 pm

jdc wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:28 am
dyqik wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:50 pm
What I want to know is when the Sex Pistols will be going into the recording studio to bring their hit up to date.
Lydon's too busy being a fawning sycophant and mourning the passing of her maj.
worst timeline

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:50 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:03 pm
Opti wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:30 pm
Woodchopper wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:08 pm
I've been struck by the extent to which people from outside Britain and the Commonwealth have been upset at the passing of the Queen. That shouldn't be a surprise as the royal family have always been very popular around the world.

But as well as her celebrity I think that there is also a sense in which she was seen as something stable in a world that has changed rapidly and over the last few years has seemed to have become much more unstable and chaotic. Her death in 2022 seems to symbolize for many people the final passing of an era which may have been much more benign than what we have to look forward to.

Series Finale innit.
Let’s hope the next series isn’t the one where the writers jump the shark and bring on one doom after another
Part of me is hoping this will all turn out to be a dream, and I've been in a coma since 2007 *cue David Bowie music*

science_fox
Snowbonk

Post by science_fox » Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:40 pm

Any know who and how old is the oldest monarch to assume the throne? Charles is 73 which must be a good contender?
I'm not afraid of catching Covid, I'm afraid of catching idiot.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:48 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:23 pm
Bewildered wrote:
I don’t agree with the statements that queen did the job well. She didn’t massively f.ck it up or create a crisis, but she clung onto her obscene level of wealth (good for her family / bad for the public) etc and when people talk about public service, for the money these f.cks get I can think of a lot more efforts they could go to on behalf of people in the UK. I’m tempted to give an extended example but it might get me banned…

The f.cking bbc has gone beyond bananas splattering every page with this guff, I want to see whoever is responsible dragged into the streets and…
Autoban, it's in the rules dontcha know.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:54 pm

science_fox wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:40 pm
Any know who and how old is the oldest monarch to assume the throne? Charles is 73 which must be a good contender?
The Saudi king.

Because brothers inherit. He was 79.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

Trinucleus
Dorkwood

Post by Trinucleus » Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:19 pm

Imagine Charles and Lizz Truss's first audience. Each saying to the other
"So I got what I wanted. Now what??"

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:14 pm

discovolante wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:48 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Bewildered wrote:

I thought it was a shadow ban, by the lizard mods, according to the secret codicils.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:21 pm

<gasps in realization> wait! Hasn't anyone told the bees!?
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:44 pm

With a beloved 94 year old loved one who is watching television and every time someone comes on in a silly costume she asks me who they are. It’s like watching Avengers: Endgame all over again but at least then I knew the answers.
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:40 pm

Stranger Mouse wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:44 pm
With a beloved 94 year old loved one who is watching television and every time someone comes on in a silly costume she asks me who they are. It’s like watching Avengers: Endgame all over again but at least then I knew the answers.
"And that's the Lord Privy Seal ... he can talk to sea creatures with his mind ... but only if they are mammalian. And that's Black Rod, he's from Wakanda and is really good with a quarter-staff."
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:50 pm

I hope not, but does the King show signs of Parkinsons?
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:20 pm

Little waster wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:40 pm
Stranger Mouse wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:44 pm
"And that's the Lord Privy Seal ... he can talk to sea creatures with his mind ... but only if they are mammalian. And that's Black Rod, he's from Wakanda and is really good with a quarter-staff."
I don't think it's any sillier than the rest of the MCU...

Millennie Al
After Pie

Post by Millennie Al » Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:40 pm

Little waster wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:08 am
If we envisage the head of state role being the backstop capable in extremis of over-ruling the actions of a democratically-elected PM up to the point of even having them physically removed from power and taken into custody they will need the authority that can only stem from a clear democratic mandate rather just being the clubbable chum of the current PM or former winner of Big Brother or whatever.
If a democratically elected PM is abusing their power, what makes you think that the same demos that elected them will elect a benign, sensible person to be head of state? And what if it's the head of state that is abusing their power?

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:55 pm

IvanV wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:52 am
wilsontown wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:20 am
At least the next issue of Private Eye should be highly entertaining.
This week's is already out, with a Truss/Johnson joke on the cover. But I haven't received mine because the post is up the creek. Last one came a week late. Such that I sent in a crossword solution failing to realise I was already too late for it.

PE has now lost its regular(ish) Heir of Sorrows page, with its recurring joke of Charles jumping out of the bath, thinking he has just acceded. What will we get instead? William seems to be much more skilfully stage-managed than other members of the royal family, at least so far.
I think Private Eye under Ian Hislop has been a bit kinder to the Royal Family than it was under Peter Cook and Richard Ingrams. There hasn't been a new working-class nickname since Cheryl (for Diana).

They could go for an absolute corker of a cover, like they did with Diana, which got them into trouble even though it took a pop not at her but at the reaction by the crowds outside Buck House. I hope they do because I'm a bit of a cynical bastard (something with Charles saying "About f.cking time" would be good) but I wouldn't be surprised if they pull their punches this time. They got enormous stick a few weeks ago when comparing Johnson's time in office with an overflowing toilet, although a lot of the negative reaction appeared to be at least ostensibly because people were genuinely offended, in a "OMG that's obscene" way, with the picture of said toilet, rather than the comparison itself being seen as odious.
Something something hammer something something nail

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:59 pm

jdc wrote:
dyqik wrote:
What I want to know is when the Sex Pistols will be going into the recording studio to bring their hit up to date.
I was going to suggest a re-release of the Smiths' hit on this topic, but I suspect Morrissey may also be a non-ironic monarchist these days.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:20 am

Millennie Al wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:40 pm
Little waster wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:08 am
If we envisage the head of state role being the backstop capable in extremis of over-ruling the actions of a democratically-elected PM up to the point of even having them physically removed from power and taken into custody they will need the authority that can only stem from a clear democratic mandate rather just being the clubbable chum of the current PM or former winner of Big Brother or whatever.
If a democratically elected PM is abusing their power, what makes you think that the same demos that elected them will elect a benign, sensible person to be head of state? And what if it's the head of state that is abusing their power?
The demos that votes for PM isn't the national demos.

The UK PM isn't elected by the country as a whole, but by a particularly safe party seat, and by the members of their own party.

A national vote for a HoS would normally have a very different result to a party leadership election and then a single Tory/Labour constituency.

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:32 am

sTeamTraen wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:59 pm
jdc wrote:
dyqik wrote:
I was going to suggest a re-release of the Smiths' hit on this topic, but I suspect Morrissey may also be a non-ironic monarchist these days.
I saw another suggestion: https://twitter.com/troublepeach12/stat ... 7492378625

Bewildered
Fuzzable

Post by Bewildered » Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:31 am

jdc wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:32 am
sTeamTraen wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:59 pm
jdc wrote:

I saw another suggestion: https://twitter.com/troublepeach12/stat ... 7492378625
My favourite is from the manics: https://youtu.be/c0m6KQqnuUw

They also changed a lot and might be joining the sycophantic now, but I still think I am going to post this one on Facebook later today.

Bewildered
Fuzzable

Post by Bewildered » Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:34 am

dyqik wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:14 pm
discovolante wrote:
Bird on a Fire wrote:

I thought it was a shadow ban, by the lizard mods, according to the secret codicils.
Hmmm… forgive me if I am wrong, but I think whether something gets you banned or not depends quite a lot on the actual content. But if you want to give me a free pass, I’ll happily write it up ;).

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:26 am

lpm wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:27 am
From the notorious "excruciating agony" tweet to the terrible poetry on facebook.
Oh god, please make it stop
Screenshot_20220911-101848_Lite.jpg
Screenshot_20220911-101848_Lite.jpg (137.6 KiB) Viewed 569 times

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:30 am

Bewildered wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:34 am
dyqik wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:14 pm
discovolante wrote:

Hmmm… forgive me if I am wrong, but I think whether something gets you banned or not depends quite a lot on the actual content. But if you want to give me a free pass, I’ll happily write it up ;).
Well, it's extremely rare that we ban people and more likely that we tend to move or delete posts that break the rules and let the poster know. But if your post is likely to be something hinting at something similar to the French Revolution, maybe just have a look at the rules and see if there's a way you can express yourself without breaking them, and save us the trouble of having to figure it out ourselves.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.