Liz Truss - an unending void of horror and pain

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Little waster
After Pie

Re: Liz Truss - an unending void of horror and pain

Post by Little waster » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:43 pm

Edit, quote ... what’s the difference really?
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:15 pm

Little waster wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:42 pm
Meanwhile she’s now managing to make JRM look like the sensible voice of moderation. :shock:

Now that isn’t a sentence anybody should EVER have to type.

The particular hill she’s chosen to die on here ... the idea that suggesting people might want to consider dusting their fridges to save energy and money and possibly stave off rolling blackouts is basically Communism, isn’t it.
Is her seemingly deliberate "unpopularism" cargo-cult Thatcherism. Thatcher did lots that was unpopular but won a couple of landslide elections and was a woman, so Truss is trying to emulate that - without realising the difference in the situation, that Thatcher had some coherence, and her luck in winning the Falklands, whilst fighting a Labour party that was keen on unpopular positions
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:22 pm

Don’t forget the huge boost to the economy and government revenues of North Sea oil as well as selling of the family silver to spend on tax cuts. Truss hasn’t got either of those to fall back on.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:46 pm

jimbob wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:15 pm
Little waster wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:42 pm
Meanwhile she’s now managing to make JRM look like the sensible voice of moderation. :shock:

Now that isn’t a sentence anybody should EVER have to type.

The particular hill she’s chosen to die on here ... the idea that suggesting people might want to consider dusting their fridges to save energy and money and possibly stave off rolling blackouts is basically Communism, isn’t it.
Is her seemingly deliberate "unpopularism" cargo-cult Thatcherism. Thatcher did lots that was unpopular but won a couple of landslide elections and was a woman, so Truss is trying to emulate that - without realising the difference in the situation, that Thatcher had some coherence, and her luck in winning the Falklands, whilst fighting a Labour party that was keen on unpopular positions
At some point we are going to have to face up to the serious consideration that, as Cummings claims, she is genuinely mentally unhinged.

And not in the sense of a cheap partisan poke at her supposed irrationality but in the sense of someone deeply in need of actual psychiatric intervention. :shock:

This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:39 am

or, we could not?
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:00 am

Stephanie wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:39 am
or, we could not?
Agreed.

You won't affect Truss with this angle.

You will affect a whole bunch of people who are unwell, but have done nothing wrong.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:00 pm

plodder wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:00 am
Wow, f.cking hell:

https://conservativehome.com/2022/09/30 ... eal-world/
lol wow f.cking hell #2

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... er-endgame

She's f.cked, she's completely lost Conservative Home

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:21 pm

There's an early episode of Yes Minister where Sir Arnold tricks Jim Hacker into becoming "Transport Supremo".

When Sir Humphrey makes Hacker realise how terrible this politically, they try to get out of it.

They do it by leaking various unpalatable policies to the press. A park to be destroyed by a new bus station, job losses in the PM's constituency, hikes in rail fares.

This is exactly what's happening now. Kwarteng is demanding every cabinet minister takes an axe to their own budget. So all the cabinet members are going to leak unpalatable stuff. Like no free transport for service vets on Remembrance Day. Cuts to one of Truss's pet projects. Ending free school breakfasts. All they have to do is to wait for the outcry, force Truss to react, then tell Kwarteng they tried but their money saving idea was blocked at the top.

Because Truss is politically dead, everyone else needs to stay politically alive by playing the game. Normally Number 10 steals the good news, ministers are left justifying the unpopular choices. But with Truss powerless they just dump all the sh.t on her.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

Trinucleus
Dorkwood

Post by Trinucleus » Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:26 pm

It's OK, she's apparently going on a charm offensive

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:40 pm

lpm wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:21 pm
There's an early episode of Yes Minister where Sir Arnold tricks Jim Hacker into becoming "Transport Supremo".

When Sir Humphrey makes Hacker realise how terrible this politically, they try to get out of it.

They do it by leaking various unpalatable policies to the press. A park to be destroyed by a new bus station, job losses in the PM's constituency, hikes in rail fares.

This is exactly what's happening now. Kwarteng is demanding every cabinet minister takes an axe to their own budget. So all the cabinet members are going to leak unpalatable stuff. Like no free transport for service vets on Remembrance Day. Cuts to one of Truss's pet projects. Ending free school breakfasts. All they have to do is to wait for the outcry, force Truss to react, then tell Kwarteng they tried but their money saving idea was blocked at the top.

Because Truss is politically dead, everyone else needs to stay politically alive by playing the game. Normally Number 10 steals the good news, ministers are left justifying the unpopular choices. But with Truss powerless they just dump all the sh.t on her.
Yes Minister is basically Jeeves and Wooster in Parliament. In the current example there is no Jeeves…

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:44 pm

Trinucleus wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:26 pm
I actually laughed.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:50 pm

Trinucleus wrote:
I saw that headline in The Times in the Co-op this morning and thought the headline writer was having fun

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:31 am

plodder wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:40 pm
lpm wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:21 pm

Yes Minister is basically Jeeves and Wooster in Parliament. In the current example there is no Jeeves…
There is a story (not sure how true) that Thatcher sent her Chief Whip along to the writers of Yes Minister to find out who the mole in her cabinet was who was leaking storylines. Not exactly the main story plots, but enough asides and one-liners were close enough to raise eyebrows. Jonathon Lynn is supposed to have told him that they just read the papers.
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:31 am

Martin_B wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:31 am
There is a story (not sure how true) that Thatcher sent her Chief Whip along to the writers of Yes Minister to find out who the mole in her cabinet was who was leaking storylines. Not exactly the main story plots, but enough asides and one-liners were close enough to raise eyebrows. Jonathon Lynn is supposed to have told him that they just read the papers.
I haven't found that story yet, but it turns out that Bernard Ingham did write a Yes Minister sketch for Mrs T to appear in alongside the regulars... and I also found this:
Thatcher herself was using her political power to obtain master tapes of “Yes, Prime Minister” from the BBC to watch soon after it premiered. “The first time her office rang, the producer said she couldn’t have it because the tapes were on loan to someone else,” Lynn recalled. “They demanded to know who. It was the queen.”
https://edition.cnn.com/2013/04/10/opin ... index.html

&

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/t ... story.html

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:50 am

jdc wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:31 am
I haven't found that story yet, but it turns out that Bernard Ingham did write a Yes Minister sketch for Mrs T to appear in alongside the regulars...
Yes, apparently both Paul Eddington and Nigel Hawthorne tried to get out of doing it.

Lynn has also said that he had contacts from previous Labour governments for some of the inside information.
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

basementer
Dorkwood

Post by basementer » Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:54 am

I think that master video tapes at that time must have been either open reel or U-matic. Martin Y might be able to offer a more informed opinion?
My point is, I really doubt that either the Queen or Thatcher would have had that sort of professional level kit in the living room. I'm calling bollocks on that particular story.
Money is just a substitute for luck anyway. - Tom Siddell

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:19 am

plodder wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:00 pm

lol wow f.cking hell #2

Can't fault the analysis either... seems she's forgotten Lyndon B. Johnson's first rule of politics.
You can't polish a turd...
unless its Lion or Osterich poo... http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... -turd.html

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:29 am

TopBadger wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:19 am
plodder wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:00 pm

lol wow f.cking hell #2

Can't fault the analysis either... seems she's forgotten Lyndon B. Johnson's first rule of politics.
When all you have is a spade every problem looks like a lack of holes.

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:44 am

From BBC News wrote:Bank of England has been forced to unveil more measures aimed at calming markets - warning of a "material risk to UK financial stability".
So that's good news again isn't it... :roll:

Think the Tories need to accelerate their plans for getting rid of the sixth formers they've installed in numbers 10 and 11.
You can't polish a turd...
unless its Lion or Osterich poo... http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... -turd.html

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:14 am

TopBadger wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:44 am
From BBC News wrote:Bank of England has been forced to unveil more measures aimed at calming markets - warning of a "material risk to UK financial stability".
So that's good news again isn't it... :roll:

Think the Tories need to accelerate their plans for getting rid of the sixth formers they've installed in numbers 10 and 11.
I mean they could just call it "spending billions of our money to buy stuff that experts currently think is overpriced in order to stop them becoming worthless" where "stuff" means "our pensions".

philbo
Clardic Fug

Post by philbo » Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:32 am

Grumble wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:44 pm
Trinucleus wrote:
I actually laughed.
ISTM she's got the "offensive" bit damn near perfect, just needs to work on the charm

noggins
Snowbonk

Post by noggins » Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:11 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:00 am
Stephanie wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:39 am
or, we could not?
Agreed.

You won't affect Truss with this angle.

You will affect a whole bunch of people who are unwell, but have done nothing wrong.
Is pseudo-freudian pschyoanalysis of her defective personality ok?
Am thinking which exhibit from "On the Psychology of Military Incompetence" she most resembles.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:06 am

philbo
Clardic Fug

Post by philbo » Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:58 am

plodder wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:06 am
She’s losing (lost?) The Sun.
That's just night time. It comes up again in the morning.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:17 am

philbo wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:58 am
plodder wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:06 am
She’s losing (lost?) The Sun.
That's just night time. It comes up again in the morning.
And the Economist. I mean, they're just ripping the sh.t out of her.

https://twitter.com/RupertMyers/status/ ... 5237787648