dyqik
Princess POW

Re: Rishi Sunak - PM

Post by dyqik » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:37 pm

Grumble wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:05 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:01 pm
Braverman still Home Sec ffs. Gotta keep the fash wing of the party on side, but perhaps while lightly trolling them by appointing a bigot of colour.
I used to know a Sikh who was a member of Immigration Watch. Definitely a tendency to immigrate then want to pull up the drawbridge behind you.
I mean, it's not like India has a caste system or anything as massively bigoted as that.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:43 pm

dyqik wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:37 pm
Grumble wrote:
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Braverman still Home Sec ffs. Gotta keep the fash wing of the party on side, but perhaps while lightly trolling them by appointing a bigot of colour.
I used to know a Sikh who was a member of Immigration Watch. Definitely a tendency to immigrate then want to pull up the drawbridge behind you.
I mean, it's not like India has a caste system or anything as massively bigoted as that.
Sikhism (as he explained it to me) is meant to break away from the caste system. He couldn’t understand why “untouchables” were all Hindu as opposed to Sikh.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:56 pm

Grumble wrote:
Bird on a Fire wrote:
I always remember that Sikh guy who used to campaign for the BNP. IRC his reasons for supporting racists was because they agreed on hating muslims. I use him as an example of being able to find anyone with any point of view, if you try hard enough.

I know one Latino child of immigrants here in the USA who say things like "I'm not anti-immigration, but I'm anti-illegal immigration". The same as you might hear from a not-all-the-way-right-Republican. The attitude seems to be something like "my parents came here legally, following the rules to give me opportunity, why should people who come here ilegaly get our help?", and they end up supporting people who want to restrict all immigration, because they think the other guy is just going to let anyone in.

I'm not sure how prevalent the "pulling up the drawbridge" attitude really is. I'm not sure its all that common, but couldn't find anything solid because my google fu seems to be weak today.

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:29 am

In the 1970s a fellow, black school student said he supported the National Front because he wanted to be repatriated back to Jamaica.

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:31 am

Anecdata. My parents immigrated from Italy to England, where I was born, then from England to Australia. Australia was quite a racist country in the 60s and 70s, and we got sh.t for being “wogs”. Nothing as bad as what Asians of all stripes got, let along native Australians. However it could be more much unpleasant than calls of “why don’t you go back to your own country!”. Sadly, by the end of her life, my mother was ranting about the “bl..dy Lebanese” coming over and stealing jobs and why can’t they go back to their own country. All in very heavily accented English. I called her out on it saying that’s exactly what happened to us, but she was blind to it.

Weird. I blame her neighbour who listened to right wing radio shock jocks and kept ranting about the Lebanese. Who was ironically 1/4 Chinese.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:48 am

I think appointing Braverman is his first unforced error, given that she resigned a week earlier for misconduct.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:06 am

I think Braverman was a sop to the ERG crazies.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:10 am

Every cabinet gets to have a lunatic

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:15 am

plodder wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:10 am
Yes but not one whose resignation is measured in hours before being reinstated, when she resigned for misconduct.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:43 am

More anecdata is that my mum (arrived in the UK from (Czecho)Slovakia in 1969) reads the Daily Mail and reckons that immigrants these days have it too easy.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:01 am

I think that we should be wary of assuming that immigrants should be less prejudiced. Immigrants are jut like everyone else. We shouldn't expect them to be more virtuous.

There's lots of reasons why an immigrant or their descendants may not like immigration.

It could be based upon a perception of their interests if more recent immigrants are seen to be in competition for things like jobs, business opportunities, government support or housing.

Alternatively, an immigrant that has assimilated may genuinely feel that new arrivals are threateningly different. shpalman's mum reading the Mail might be seen as a success story.

People may feel that new arrivals shouldn't complain about things that they dealt with in the past, a sentiment that can be profoundly affected by nostalgia.

Immigrants may also bring prejudices with them, ethnic conflicts don't just disappear when people move to another country.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:35 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:01 am

Immigrants may also bring prejudices with them, ethnic conflicts don't just disappear when people move to another country.
Good point. I used to live in a block where the Polish woman upstairs was constantly being vile to the Bangladeshi family on my floor.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:13 pm

jimbob wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:15 am
plodder wrote:
Yes but not one whose resignation is measured in hours before being reinstated, when she resigned for misconduct.
And that was Starmer's first question - was she right to have resigned a week ago?

Sunak's tried Johnson's tactic of a series of irrelevant attacks, but doesn't seem to realise that going for topics where he's perceived to be weaker than Starmer, just draws attention to them... And his shiftiness.

Inferring that Starmer is out of touch because of a claimed reluctance to leave North London is courageous coming from someone who wears £900 trainers on a building site. And whose spouse is so unattached to London that she claimed that the UK wasn't her main residence for tax purposes.

Trinucleus
Catbabel

Post by Trinucleus » Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:28 pm

Brightonian wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:29 am
In the 1970s a fellow, black school student said he supported the National Front because he wanted to be repatriated back to Jamaica.
Lenny Henry once said:

The B N P wants to give me £1000 to go home. That's great, it's only £5 on the bus to Dudley

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:19 am

jimbob wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:13 pm
jimbob wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:15 am
plodder wrote:
And that was Starmer's first question - was she right to have resigned a week ago?

Sunak's tried Johnson's tactic of a series of irrelevant attacks, but doesn't seem to realise that going for topics where he's perceived to be weaker than Starmer, just draws attention to them... And his shiftiness.

Inferring that Starmer is out of touch because of a claimed reluctance to leave North London is courageous coming from someone who wears £900 trainers on a building site. And whose spouse is so unattached to London that she claimed that the UK wasn't her main residence for tax purposes.
It looks like it was not a one off for Braverman.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63410737

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:32 am

jimbob wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:19 am
It looks like it was not a one off for Braverman.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63410737
It's the "She acknowledges her mistake, so that's OK" attitude that is the most worrying. Rule breaking is done with impunity.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

tenchboy
After Pie

Post by tenchboy » Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:22 pm

"She acknowledges her mistake, so that's OK"
Is what you say to a customer when your apprentice has just been caught pissing in her kettle.
It does NOT cover a f.ck-up by someone who is being paid top wack and supposed to be one of the best at what they do in the country.

FFS

ETA FFS
If you want me Steve, just Snapchat me yeah? You know how to Snapchap me doncha Steve? You just...

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:02 pm

I’m sure lessons have been learnt.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:07 pm

Grumble wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:02 pm
I’m sure lessons have been learnt.
Is that the "getting away with it..." lesson?
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:48 pm

The Economist reviews Rishi Sunak. We all like a bad review, and that is what this one is.
Econ Sunak Article reduced.jpg
Econ Sunak Article reduced.jpg (276.48 KiB) Viewed 2119 times

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:32 am

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ndy-morton
Gavin Williamson is facing a complaint that he sent “vile” and “threatening” messages to former chief whip Wendy Morton, raising questions over Rishi Sunak’s decision to reappoint the twice-sacked Tory.

Morton is believed to have made a formal complaint to the Conservative party over claims of Williamson’s behaviour to her in the final days of Liz Truss’s government.
I think Sunak's misunderstood the old saw that if I fire you after a year, you messed up... If I fire you after a week, I messed up. He's not realised that it's still better than firing them after a few months as the sackable offences stack up.

Which incidentally was what the Tories also did with Johnson.

noggins
Snowbonk

Post by noggins » Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:48 pm

the job of a tory chief whip is to go around bullying people.

the complaint is b.llsh.t.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:07 pm

noggins wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:48 pm

Pippa Crerar has tweeted them
https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/ ... 4702134273
Meta? I'd say so!

tenchboy
After Pie

Post by tenchboy » Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:20 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:07 pm
noggins wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:48 pm

Pippa Crerar has tweeted them
https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/ ... 4702134273
Loved the "I'm fine".
Class.
If you want me Steve, just Snapchat me yeah? You know how to Snapchap me doncha Steve? You just...

noggins
Snowbonk

Post by noggins » Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:27 pm

Malcolm Tucker wrote:
This is a government department! Not a f.cking Jane f.cking Austen novel!