Protesting

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Woodchopper
Princess POW

Re: Protesting

Post by Woodchopper » Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:23 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:11 am
The exact protest everybody says climate activists should do has happened, in case you missed it:
AMSTERDAM, Nov 5 (Reuters) - Hundreds of environmental activists wearing white overalls stormed an area holding private jets at Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport and stopped aircraft from leaving for hours by sitting in front of their wheels on Saturday.

Military police moved in and were seen taking dozens of the protesters away in buses. More than 100 activists were arrested, national broadcaster NOS reported.

The protest was part of a day of demonstrations in and around the air hub organised by Greenpeace and Extinction Rebellion in the build-up to the COP27 climate talks in Egypt.

No delays to commercial flights were reported.
https://www.reuters.com/business/cop/ac ... 022-11-05/
Protestors riding bicycles in front of the private jets.https://twitter.com/thijsniks/status/15 ... AZhgJfricg

Very good.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:42 am

Police doing sterling work arresting journalists at climate protests:

https://twitter.com/richfelgate/status/ ... 7642243072

The Tories' shiny new oppressive legislation in action.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:33 pm

Another one - LBC journalist arrested, held for 5 hours in a cell. Sounds like a deliberate attempt at intimidation.

https://twitter.com/charlotterlynch/sta ... 2945092609

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:46 pm

Indigo Rumbelow for Just Stop Oil in absolute car crash interview on Sky News. Basically, will be clipped and go viral and can only damage their cause. I don’t know Greta Thunberg but she’s no Greta Thunberg.
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:52 am

I mean, birds are literally falling out of the sky.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ern-us-aoe

(That was the clip when I googled her name anyway)

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:21 am

Stranger Mouse wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:46 pm
Indigo Rumbelow for Just Stop Oil in absolute car crash interview on Sky News. Basically, will be clipped and go viral and can only damage their cause. I don’t know Greta Thunberg but she’s no Greta Thunberg.
If the argument is that "people are discussing your methods and only incidentally mentioning your message - wouldn't it be better if you did f.ck all and then we'd all be really cool with, um what is it again?" then, yes that wouldn't be a problem.

Not mentioning the cause is even more damaging to the cause.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:26 am

I mean they're called Just Stop Oil, which means even saying their name helps spread a specific message, unlike many other campaign groups.

And the government, holding the presidency of the climate cop, was going balls deep into fossil extraction. f.cking embarrassing.

If you think a kid with no media training is the issue, you're officially a dipshit.

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:22 am

Stranger Mouse wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:46 pm
Like this: https://twitter.com/andrewdoyle_com/sta ... 5463033857? Or maybe this shorter one: https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1590784641845399552?

She did better than I would have done. Made some good points about the media failing, rights having to be fought for, and that people will die due to climate change; didn't get too flustered by interruptions or disrespectful questions about whether she should grow up. Fair play to her for not backing down when the interviewer was trying to talk over her.

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:58 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:26 am
I mean they're called Just Stop Oil, which means even saying their name helps spread a specific message, unlike many other campaign groups.

And the government, holding the presidency of the climate cop, was going balls deep into fossil extraction. f.cking embarrassing.

If you think a kid with no media training is the issue, you're officially a dipshit.
Oh for God’s sake. I don’t think a kid with no media training is “the issue” - I just don’t think the interview went very well and I can’t see it changing many minds. I wish you would stop with the f.cking strawmen.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:01 am

Stranger Mouse wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:58 am
Bird on a Fire wrote:

Oh for God’s sake. I don’t think a kid with no media training is “the issue” - I just don’t think the interview went very well and I can’t see it changing many minds. I wish you would stop with the f.cking strawmen.
If the organisation can't offer better than "a kid with no media training", then perhaps they aren't a very well run organisation?

Mind you, probably better than sending their founder, given his quite disturbing fantasies.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:18 am

Stranger Mouse wrote:
Bird on a Fire wrote:

Sorry, I must have missed your posts on UK climate policy and somehow just saw the one criticising a young female activist.

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:49 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:18 am
Stranger Mouse wrote:
Bird on a Fire wrote:

Sorry, I must have missed your posts on UK climate policy and somehow just saw the one criticising a young female activist.
Oh do f.ck off. I’m tired a lot nowadays so don’t post that much here as I know this is the type of b.llsh.t you tend to get. I didn’t realise I had to post on every subject that was of importance or interest to me so you could make a judgment about what I “really” think.

At least you referred to her more accurately as a young female activist rather than “a kid” this time (which was a somewhat infantilising way to describe a 27 year old). It’s strange that you also seem to have missed my unfavourable comparison to Greta Thunberg - another “young female activist” but never mind.

I don’t think she did a very good job. Others disagree and have given reasons why. I have considered those views. I don’t know if I will change my mind or reconsider but that’s the type of discussion I like on here. I really can’t be arsed to defend myself against strawman b.llsh.t so I tell you what. I’ll f.ck off the thread and leave you to it.

I suppose I should be grateful. It’s not as bad as the time I was accused here (or the old place - I forget) of getting sexually aroused by mass shootings so things are looking up. Happy days.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:09 pm

Sorry to pick on you, Stranger Mouse (for real this time) - it just seems that people are constantly looking for reasons to criticise protestors, when the scale of political response to a genuinely terrifying crisis is so pants. It's enormously frustrating.

I've not yet seen a clip shared from the interview, supportively or disparagingly. But I really think the idea that these protestors damage the cause is overwhelmingly over-egged - as well as the evidence on radical flank effects mentioned unthread, the climate crisis is now at a severity that a third of Pakistan has been displaced recently, and stronger action is supported by a large majority of UK voters.

One earnest activist doing their best is unlikely to undo that. What's needed is a disruptive enough popular outcry to force politicians to act appropriately, when we don't really have two years to wait for the ballot box. And these kinds of tut-tutting reactions to protests undermine that response.

So I was cheesed off with your post as a symptom of a wider annoyance, rather than you personally. And my bad on her age, I'd read "art student" and assumed she was typical undergrad age. Still a relative youngster in UK politics, especially as the last two PMs have been chosen by haunted cadavers.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:57 pm

Meh wait until the bodge tech we’re seeing in Ukraine gets used by protesters, especially once things* start getting worse**.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:46 am

Piece on how pro-LGBT+ protests by Westerners about places like Qatar can be counterproductive.
https://www.csis.org/analysis/lgbtq-adv ... -backfires

Makes similar points to an African I spoke to last week.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:18 pm

Extinction Rebellion and Just Stop Oil are going to have a fight at the London Marathon.

clicky

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:29 am

monkey wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:18 pm
Extinction Rebellion and Just Stop Oil are going to have a fight at the London Marathon.

clicky
There's a well established process by which a radical group becomes mainstream and is replaced by another radical group.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:36 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:29 am
monkey wrote:

clicky
There's a well established process by which a radical group becomes mainstream and is replaced by another radical group.
cf suffragists and suffragettes
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:20 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:29 am
monkey wrote:

clicky
Yeah, I've noticed that before. I found this one amusing though.

I suspect that the Guardian is over egging the story somewhat. I imagine the help is more like ER phoning up JSO and going "They're blocking more roads than we ever could and getting away with it, leave them to it."

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:38 pm

Wes Streeting gets a visit from Just Stop Oil. Or rather he doesn’t because they go to the wrong house.

https://x.com/juststop_oil/status/17730 ... 58902?s=61

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:39 pm

Stranger Mouse wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:38 pm
Wes Streeting gets a visit from Just Stop Oil. Or rather he doesn’t because they go to the wrong house.

https://x.com/juststop_oil/status/17730 ... 58902?s=61
ETA

Streeting reply https://x.com/wesstreeting/status/17730 ... 80701?s=61