Fake Water Tester Scam

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
JQH
After Pie

Fake Water Tester Scam

Post by JQH » Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:37 am

Here is a video purporting to show that most bottled water is full of dangerous chemicals by passing a current through it. Tap water and bottled water goes brown, distilled water stays clear so buy our filter/still/distilled water!!!

Nothing of the kind of course. Distilled water does not conduct electricity very well but the others, containing dissolved minerals, do. The bubbling is hydrogen and oxygen being given off as the water electrolyses. The negative oxygen ions will attack the metal of the anode producing insoluble metal oxides and that is the source of the brown gunk. The "tester" is actually contaminating the water!
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige

Re: Fake Water Tester Scam

Post by Boustrophedon » Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:45 am

I kept getting junk mail from a company pulling this scam. I reported them to trading standards and they got done.
Hjulet snurrar men hamstern är död.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:10 am

See also the detox foot bath (although I was looking for some other blog post about fake water purification based on the same trick).
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

basementer
Dorkwood

Post by basementer » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:57 pm

shpalman wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:10 am
See also the detox foot bath (although I was looking for some other blog post about fake water purification based on the same trick).
Dr Goldacre once wrote about borrowing a doll from his girlfriend and creating Detox Foot Spa Barbie.
Money is just a substitute for luck anyway. - Tom Siddell

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:45 pm

JQH wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:37 am
Nothing of the kind of course. Distilled water does not conduct electricity very well but the others, containing dissolved minerals, do. The bubbling is hydrogen and oxygen being given off as the water electrolyses. The negative oxygen ions will attack the metal of the anode producing insoluble metal oxides and that is the source of the brown gunk. The "tester" is actually contaminating the water!
I thought I was good at school chemistry, but I only recently learned that the white scum on boiling water is tiny crystals of dissolved (Mg/Ca) (CO3/HCO3) coming out of solution at the edge of the bubbles. So I can imagine how someone with absolutely zero understanding of chemistry could be impressed by this sort of thing.
Something something hammer something something nail

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:21 pm

My post was a criticism of the scammers not the scammed.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:10 pm

JQH wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:21 pm
My post was a criticism of the scammers not the scammed.
Of course. I was just trying to note that this is quite likely to be an effective scam as there is probably a substantial pool of potential victims. Apologies if this came across wrong. 🙏
Something something hammer something something nail