tw.tter

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Pishwish
Clardic Fug

Re: tw.tter

Post by Pishwish » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:00 pm

I can't read that bloomberg article, does it have the 98% fatality rate in it? Because the only reference I've seen is a faked usa today screenshot.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:22 pm

Pishwish wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:00 pm
I can't read that bloomberg article, does it have the 98% fatality rate in it? Because the only reference I've seen is a faked usa today screenshot.
It does not, and instead states that independent reporters have visited the labs, and not seen evidence of mistreatment or suffering. Which doesn't mean a whole lot, as the animal welfare part was brought in-house some time ago.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:03 pm

Musk is now cosying up to Alex Jones (using Ye's twitter account).

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:49 pm

It's like a support group for rich c.nts whove lost significant chunks of their fortunes by f.cking around and finding out.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:12 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:49 pm
It's like a support group for rich c.nts whove lost significant chunks of their fortunes by f.cking around and finding out.
You're missing the adjective "fascist-curious" there.

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:59 pm

dyqik wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:03 pm
Alex Jones isn't on Twitter?
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:08 pm

Stephanie wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:59 pm
dyqik wrote:
Musk doesn’t like people profiting from child murder apparently. Nice to know he has some lines.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:38 pm

Grumble wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:08 pm
Stephanie wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:59 pm
dyqik wrote:
Musk doesn’t like people profiting from child murder apparently. Nice to know he has some lines.
He also doesn't like people posting Swastikas, so Ye is banned again.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:11 pm

dyqik wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:22 pm
Pishwish wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:00 pm
It does not, and instead states that independent reporters have visited the labs, and not seen evidence of mistreatment or suffering. Which doesn't mean a whole lot, as the animal welfare part was brought in-house some time ago.
Reuters is reporting that they are under federal investigation for potentially violating animal welfare laws with their testing.

Though the article does say "Neuralink Corp is a vanity project that only exists because a crooked fantasist can't tell the difference between sci-fi and reality and/or relies on marks who can't"

I support animal testing where it is necessary for medical research. But a venture involving Musk where he's trying to do things he read in a sci-fi story and trying to do it on a preposterously unrealistic timetable in order to whip up interest/lure in marks/boost his ego is never going to conduct animal research ethically if left to their own devices.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:35 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:11 pm
I support animal testing where it is necessary for medical research. But a venture involving Musk where he's trying to do things he read in a sci-fi story and trying to do it on a preposterously unrealistic timetable in order to whip up interest/lure in marks/boost his ego is never going to conduct animal research ethically if left to their own devices.
And this project is largely not necessary, so animal research it does can never really be ethical, however it is carried out.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:53 am

A radical left take on Twitter’s actions on the Biden laptop story: https://jacobin.com/2022/12/twitter-fil ... ss-freedom

Imrael
Snowbonk

Post by Imrael » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:16 am

Temptar: We jailed a guy for importing garlic and labelling it as apples because he didn’t pay the proper tax.
Surely I'm not the only one who imagined a bag of garlic bulbs at the shop with a "Golden Delicious" sticker on them. I did eventually realise that the labelling probably applied at the import stage rather than retail.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:30 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:53 am
A radical left take on Twitter’s actions on the Biden laptop story: https://jacobin.com/2022/12/twitter-fil ... ss-freedom
What a strange comment piece. Little connection to reality and seems to be unquestioning on the laptop origin story. The writer gets tied up in knots about the US 1st Amendment when these issues apply to all countries. It fails to address some pretty big areas:

- how should the media deal with stolen information?
- how should the media deal with stolen sexual photos?
- how should the media deal with political smear campaigns that are newsworthy but of uncertain accuracy?
- how should the media operate in a world of deep-fakes and big budget professional disinformation, much coming from overseas enemies?
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:31 am

dyqik wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:35 pm
EACLucifer wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:11 pm
And this project is largely not necessary, so animal research it does can never really be ethical, however it is carried out.
Indeed. It's fairly obvious the "i WaNT to puT CHiPS in BraNEs" came before any attempt to rationalise it with potential medical applications.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:04 pm

lpm wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:30 am
Woodchopper wrote:
What a strange comment piece. Little connection to reality and seems to be unquestioning on the laptop origin story. The writer gets tied up in knots about the US 1st Amendment when these issues apply to all countries. It fails to address some pretty big areas:

- how should the media deal with political smear campaigns that are newsworthy but of uncertain accuracy?
- how should the media operate in a world of deep-fakes and big budget professional disinformation, much coming from overseas enemies?
Yup,

He's not a public citizen, and it's private media.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:39 pm

jimbob wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:04 pm
lpm wrote:
Woodchopper wrote:

Yup,

He's not a public citizen, and it's private media.
And the Biden campaign was also an entirely non-governmental operation at the time. Meanwhile Taibbi etc. have refused to give any details on the Trump campaign's requests to Twitter, submitted on behalf of the President.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:07 pm

lpm wrote:
Woodchopper wrote:

Those are of course important, but this is Jacobin. I expect that that author is a bit of a Marxist and is concerned about power, and those questions would just be the irrelevant scruples of the capitalist class that includes both Biden and Trump.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:56 pm

Twitter is down for me
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:36 am

Just saw this from a week ago. Twitter has had its credit rating withdrawn by Moodys and S&P. Not a good look for a company.

https://www.thestreet.com/technology/tw ... ngs-pulled

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:21 am

The latest round of attempted scandal has involved Twitter giving access to PII to third party "journalists". Which I'm sure is sparking GPDR regulators' interest.

Pishwish
Clardic Fug

Post by Pishwish » Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:04 pm

So, Musk seems to be swimming in the alt right bubble, listening to Kimdotcom, ian miles cheong and other various trolls. There are some who have suggested that musk is insincerly adopting right wing conspiracy opinions to create a right wing demand for twitter (or even for teslas), but I don't believe this. As part of an attempt to make the "twitter files" into something they are not, Musk is smearing former twitter employees and advisers. He is also calling for the prosecution of Faucci.
Although there is a strong argument to stay on twitter to counter the disinformation (I would tend to agree with this, at least while normal users dominate the discourse), several prominent accounts have either quit (popehat, carl bergstrom) or are thinking about it. It will be interesting to see if the migration of users to Mastodon or Post accelerates, which is likely if Musk doubles down on the right wing conspiracies.

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:43 pm

Pishwish wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:04 pm
So, Musk seems to be swimming in the alt right bubble, listening to Kimdotcom, ian miles cheong and other various trolls. There are some who have suggested that musk is insincerly adopting right wing conspiracy opinions to create a right wing demand for twitter (or even for teslas), but I don't believe this. As part of an attempt to make the "twitter files" into something they are not, Musk is smearing former twitter employees and advisers. He is also calling for the prosecution of Faucci.
Although there is a strong argument to stay on twitter to counter the disinformation (I would tend to agree with this, at least while normal users dominate the discourse), several prominent accounts have either quit (popehat, carl bergstrom) or are thinking about it. It will be interesting to see if the migration of users to Mastodon or Post accelerates, which is likely if Musk doubles down on the right wing conspiracies.
What's "Post"?

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:04 pm

Brightonian wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:43 pm
Pishwish wrote:
What's "Post"?
It's a new social media site, it seems that they're trying to attract journalists. Not sure anyone knows much about it, because it's still in beta and they're not letting that many users on. It was being worked on before Musk broke twitter, but they rushed the launch because of that.

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:11 pm

monkey wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:04 pm
Brightonian wrote:
Pishwish wrote:
What's "Post"?

It's a new social media site,
it seems that they're trying to attract journalists. Not sure anyone knows much about it, because it's still in beta and they're not letting that many users on. It was being worked on before Musk broke twitter, but they rushed the launch because of that.
Thanks, I'd Googled 'post social media' but of course got stuff about posting to social media. I did look at the Android app store too but couldn't find anything, presumably because it's still in beta.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:18 pm

monkey wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:04 pm
Brightonian wrote:
Pishwish wrote:
What's "Post"?
It's a new social media site, it seems that they're trying to attract journalists. Not sure anyone knows much about it, because it's still in beta and they're not letting that many users on. It was being worked on before Musk broke twitter, but they rushed the launch because of that.
And it's another private company, so essentially nothing stopping someone doing a Musk to it.