Moderate alcohol consumption

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
shpalman
Princess POW

Re: Moderate alcohol consumption

Post by shpalman » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:27 am

having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:07 am

What's the problem with people deciding not to drink?
it's okay to say "I don't know"

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:40 am

Fishnut wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:07 am
What's the problem with people deciding not to drink?
No problem with that, it's good to normalise that choice. My problem is with how these "maybe it's a good idea to stop drinking" articles always seem to be written by someone who had what was actually probably a massive problem, except that in some cultures (especially the UK) that level of consumption seems to have been normalised. Of course stopping completely is better than that.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:41 am

And if people really need that much alcohol to get over social anxiety then there's also a massive society-wide mental health problem going on.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:00 pm

I’m with the youths in that article, seemingly unlike others in my age cohort. My drinking has massively moderated compared to my own youth and 30s. Getting bladdered several times a week was the norm, now I may get drunk once or twice a year at most. Typically I have a single drink a week and nearly never at home. Yay me or something. My coffee consumption remains insane though.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:07 pm

bjn wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:00 pm
I’m with the youths in that article, seemingly unlike others in my age cohort. My drinking has massively moderated compared to my own youth and 30s. Getting bladdered several times a week was the norm, now I may get drunk once or twice a year at most. Typically I have a single drink a week and nearly never at home. Yay me or something. My coffee consumption remains insane though.
Your present consumption is normal for the UK. The problem is that people who drink a lot tend to hang out together and persuade each other that everyone else is getting pissed several times a week.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:46 pm

shpalman wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:41 am
And if people really need that much alcohol to get over social anxiety then there's also a massive society-wide mental health problem going on.
It can become a vicious circle. You think you need to drink to be sociable so you feel anxious if you don't.

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:14 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:07 pm
bjn wrote:
Your present consumption is normal for the UK. The problem is that people who drink a lot tend to hang out together and persuade each other that everyone else is getting pissed several times a week.
I once mentioned to my GP that my drinking had gone down and he immediately asked "how did you do that?" I felt put on the spot and mumbled an uninformative reply. It was only later that I realised he'd been looking for tips for his other patients, and I still regret not replying "by hanging around with people who don't drink much", which was the case with me.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:18 pm

Tessa K wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:46 pm
shpalman wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:41 am
It can become a vicious circle. You think you need to drink to be sociable so you feel anxious if you don't.
Yeah I usually only have one drink at a dance event (it's usually included in the price of entry) but I "need" to have it more or less as soon as I arrive (although how long it takes me to drink it depends on how much dancing I do, it's lasted the whole first set of the band sometimes) and part of this is association (and part of it is knowing that the queue at the bar is only going to get worse). I've noticed getting a wave of anxiety later in the evening as I burn it off, but knowing that's all it is helps.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:59 pm

Brightonian wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:14 pm
Woodchopper wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:07 pm
bjn wrote:
I once mentioned to my GP that my drinking had gone down and he immediately asked "how did you do that?" I felt put on the spot and mumbled an uninformative reply. It was only later that I realised he'd been looking for tips for his other patients, and I still regret not replying "by hanging around with people who don't drink much", which was the case with me.
One useful tip is that most people don't notice that you're drinking less or non-alcoholic drinks. I don't drink anymore and people assume there's something in my tonic water - gin, vodka etc.

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:42 pm

I've pretty much stopped drinking. I hadn't had a drink for four months before Christmas, then a bottle of Jura turned up at my house just before. I limited myself to one measure a night until it ran out.
We went round to a neighbours house last Wednesday and was limiting myself to one G&T. Unfortunately the hosts are the sort of sneaky people who keep topping you up without asking - and when you're not looking. I must have had about 3. ddb had way more wine than she wanted
Christ did I feel sh.t the next day or so. ddb too, and she's got a pretty strong constitution.

My pain medication doesn't play nice with alcohol. Taking my own soft drinks next time.
Time for a big fat one.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:31 am

Sharon Hartley considered herself a fairly average drinker... “... when was it deemed normal to be drinking a bottle of wine a night?”

One drink at the Principe on Friday, the nice thing about that place is that the soft drinks are free, you can just go and ask, so I keep my plastic cup and keep going back for water.

One drink at the Spirit on Saturday too, even though for once I wasn't the one driving. What discourages drinking there isn't just the €8 price of a cocktail but the long queue which builds up. (They also don't mind if you just keep going to get water from the taps in the bathroom so I keep my glass to do this now.)

Sunday though involved beer with dinner (in between the balboa workshop with Natasha & Olivier and the actual dance evening) and then I had a spritz when the evening started, which felt a bit watery, and a gin & tonic a bit later which really felt like it kicked in hard but also kicked my dancing up to a new level such that it felt like I burned the alcohol off quite efficiently. I hate to say that I "needed" that second drink but, well, there's moderation in everything and the hangover I had yesterday was an emotional one from dancing for three nights and not from the alcohol.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk